British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs. Belle Vue Grand Final 2nd Leg 13/10/22

TTT

For me...

Kurtz quite rightly went for a clear gap, then it quickly closed. - Correct decision..  - Similar to Holder/Wright at the NSS..

When you watch Ellis in super slow mo, which the ref did, he locked up very slightly a couple of times to, I would imagine, try and stop him drifting over to Brennan, unfortunately on the second time he couldnt quite manger to avoid contact... The ref would have considered "could he have gone further left?" Thus avoiding Brennan. - A very tight 51/49 correct decision...

As for Kurtz/Musielak - Kurtz defended the line brilliantly and Musielak must have thought he had "cleared him", given the angle they hit the bend.. I had a great view and if he had gone in a fraction nearer the kerb he would have block passed Kurtz and rode him up the race track.. As he came in about 2m from the kerb he caught Kurtz . - 60/40 for me in Kurtz's favour...

Overall I thought the ref did well over the 2 meetings, and decisions like those made always will be contentious but always add to the atmosphere.. 

An atmosphere driven by having so many away fans there..

Surely clubs would benefit by either letting away fans in at a heavily discounted rate, or even for free? It would be easy to police to ensure no home fans get access to tickets..

As my lad said "Every meeting should be like this"...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

The dead gate 3 was perhaps the most contentious issue  for me, it was hysterically bad , riders going into the bend 3-4 bike lengths detached

Gate 3 has always been a graveyard at Owlerton - many a maximum hopes of a top rider have been scuppered there!

1 hour ago, ABS said:

To be honest, I go to the NSS every week and the racing is usually very good, but from what I've seen from Sheffield this season, I seriously wouldn't bother crossing the road for what passes as racing there. It actually makes Monmore Green look like a Speedway riders paradise.

Pleased to see our young riders Tom and Norick perform so well at the death. For me, the turning point in Tom's season was when he went up to number two, with Matej at number one. He seemed to grow in confidence and learned a lot about what lines to take around the NSS from the Master.

I didn't think Owlerton produced bad racing last night but maybe the tension got to me, my only visit this year I can remember one pass.  Last year I went twice and the Panthers visit was good, the Aces visit less so.  I preferred last nights to anything I've seen from Monmore (only on the TV) since PK's retirement.

Yes, Brennan came on leaps & bounds when paired with Zagar at 1&2, that was when some real NSS hammerings were handed out, towards the end though the two were starting to get in each others way.  If Aces have a "rider of the year" award I think Brennan just edges Blodorn but no other rider would even be in the conversation based on what I've seen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col said:

I didn't think Owlerton produced bad racing last night but maybe the tension got to me, my only visit this year I can remember one pass.  Last year I went twice and the Panthers visit was good, the Aces visit less so.  I preferred last nights to anything I've seen from Monmore (only on the TV) since PK's retirement.

Yes, Brennan came on leaps & bounds when paired with Zagar at 1&2, that was when some real NSS hammerings were handed out, towards the end though the two were starting to get in each others way.  If Aces have a "rider of the year" award I think Brennan just edges Blodorn but no other rider would even be in the conversation based on what I've seen.

I would give it Robert...:D

Firstly it was a great advert for speedway over the two legs that everything that is required, hard fast racing by 2 evenly matched teams.

With the scoreline finishing so close though focus will always fall on the refereeing decisions as it will always be felt that the title wasnt truly decided on the track as it should be.

With Heat 1 I agree Kurtz was the primary cause of the stoppage, but given that it was heat one, the move happened on bend 2 I dont think anyone at all would have objected to all 4 back, given first race of a final tension and all that.

Heat 3 irrespective of who anyone thought was at fault or not this should have been all 4 back

Had the ref chose to put all 4 back in heats 1 and 3 then there would have been not talk of poor refereeing decisions cos the ref wouldnt have actually made a decision, just gave the riders the opportunity to race.

With heat 11, yes a decision had to be made, and yes in my opinion Tobiasz had to go. Brady new exactly what he was doing and gambled that once he hit the deck he would get the decision.

I cant recall which GP it was but one of the final two roundsand it involved Patryk Dudek with an exact similar move on bend 3.....in that case the rider that hit the deck was excluded, assumption being although there was contact, the other rider was in front....Just as Tobiasz was, so all a matter of opinions.

• Like 3

How surprising.
Sheffield fans think the referee made wrong decisions
Belle Vue fans think the referee made correct decisions 

Love Opinions - no matter how biased ...

As neutral, looking at the decisions by the same ref over two legs it looks like Sheffield had the rough end of the stick, and maybe at a sufficient level to have made a difference to the eventual outcome. - but maybe is a big word & we will never know what "might" have been - re-run of races are hardly predictable. 

So, Congratulations to Lemmo & the Aces on their win ...about time & to the Tigers, thanks for making it a great final, you definitely played your part!

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I would give it Robert...:D

Mikebv has put his finger on it there! As a died-in-the-wool Tigers fan for 56 years, I'm actually glad to see Belle Vue win the title, for the simple reason that it highlights the sheer hypocrisy and corruption of the ruling authorities in allowing a rider who has shunned British racing for three years in pursuit of personal treasure to suddenly turn up for three matches in the colours of a team for which he has no past or present connection and have the audacity to collect a champion's medal on the rostrum. A "ringer" by any definition. Surely the authorities will now be shamed into ensuring no such aberration will ever occur in the future.

As for the real championship, whichever team wins the Sheffield v Ipswich tie two weeks' time can hold its heads high and rightly claim to be the season's champions - an accolade won over the course of twenty matches home and away and without recourse to underhand and devious chicanery, the stench of which will always hang around this alleged Belle Vue "victory".

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You know what was missing? The Pirate roar and atmosphere. No atmosphere came over tonight on tv. Did you here the Sheffield roar as the number 8? Nope. 

As a final second leg it was quite flat, though pleased for the BV fans at the end. 29 years? Jesus! If I recall Poole whopped BV at Wimborne Road then BV went to Monmore and Wolves choked. Bobby Ott the hero.

Pirates roar, nobody takes away fans like Belle Vue, as Brady said last night, the Aces have the best away fans in the country.  Atmosphere was sensational.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

As for the real championship, whichever team wins the Sheffield v Ipswich tie two weeks' time can hold its heads high and rightly claim to be the season's champions - an accolade won over the course of twenty matches home and away and without recourse to underhand and devious chicanery, the stench of which will always hang around this alleged Belle Vue "victory".

sour.jpg

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

We will never know but would the ref have come to same decisions without the tv replays? Ht 3 clear case of all 4 back i think like others brady knew what he was doing in falling and then going wide next time,dont like this " block pass " tv remark.

Not for H3. She took ages to put the red light on when Tom went down, so waiting for him to get up. Without TV replays I think he would have gone or all 4.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Pirates roar, nobody takes away fans like Belle Vue, as Brady said last night, the Aces have the best away fans in the country.  Atmosphere was sensational.

Weren't that many in 2015 though tbf! Easy to go 20 odd miles! 

Brady makes me laugh as always! Best fans, so why is he leaving? 

Edited by lisa-colette

16 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Mikebv has put his finger on it there! As a died-in-the-wool Tigers fan for 56 years, I'm actually glad to see Belle Vue win the title, for the simple reason that it highlights the sheer hypocrisy and corruption of the ruling authorities in allowing a rider who has shunned British racing for three years in pursuit of personal treasure to suddenly turn up for three matches in the colours of a team for which he has no past or present connection and have the audacity to collect a champion's medal on the rostrum. A "ringer" by any definition. Surely the authorities will now be shamed into ensuring no such aberration will ever occur in the future.

Max Fricke scored 9 and 10 on his two visits to Sheffield this season, and Robert Lambert got 10. Hardly game-changing. Yes, he got a max at Belle Vue, but if I were a Sheffield fan I'd be looking at your own riders' performances as opposed to looking for excuses. Jack Holder only scoring 2? That's where you lost it.

• Like 2

Well I am neutral and I thought the final was good viewing (both legs).

The track at Owlerton however wasn’t particularly good and the starts were dreadful, why the start line wasn’t ripped I don’t know, gate 3 was a graveyard and 2 wasn’t much better.

The Ref got some decisions right but heat 3 was surely all four back every time, not sure what she was thinking to exclude Ellis and looking at the reaction he didn’t either. Heat 11 was in our opinion wrong, Kurtz had lost that one and just dropped it. It’s disappointing that the match was effectively decided on the refs decision in that heat as it looked like it was going all the way.

As expected Robert Lambert didn’t find it quite as easy to miss the gate and overtake as he did at the NSS but I still think it’s wrong that he was included in the first place as he is light years better than Fricke. That’s undoubtedly took some of the shine of the final but the Belle Vue fans and Management clearly don’t care as it was always all about winning and nothing else mattered.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Max Fricke scored 9 and 10 on his two visits to Sheffield this season, and Robert Lambert got 10. Hardly game-changing. Yes, he got a max at Belle Vue, but if I were a Sheffield fan I'd be looking at your own riders' performances as opposed to looking for excuses. Jack Holder only scoring 2? That's where you lost it.

I'm not concerned with the fact that Sheffield lost - I'm used to that. But the fact remains that whilst Jack's low score had a part to play in the overall outcome, so did Lambert's 25 points over two legs. The difference is Jack had a right to be there and Lambert didn't.

• Like 1