British Speedway Forum

Jubilee championship league

9 hours ago, HGould said:

I would point out that EVERY CLUB entered a Competition that clearly had a designated ONE OFF Final at Sheffield at the beginning of September.

That Final would have been done and dusted ages ago and Winners known.

Only when ONE Club moaned and whined that a One Off Final at that Venue was not fair, was the decision made to have 3 Home Legs.

That decision was made only AFTER the 3 Finalists were known. That could be argued rendered the whole Competition null and void as the other 7 participating Clubs found the goalposts removed after the Event.

There is a very simple solution.

Go back to Plan A, which every Club agreed as the Format.

A one Off Final.

I'm sure that any number of PL or non participating CL Clubs could stage it quite easily.

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep I agree, the issues started when they went back on the agreed format, should have been a one of final at a neutral venue weeks ago.

That said Glasgow withdrawing is not good at all. 

From memory I'm sure all 3 clubs were praising the decision to have a 3 legged final! So I find it odd that this change would have caused an issue. Not sure why the clubs would agree to this if it would cause fixture issues! I do feel rules should bit be changed mid-season however & should have stuck with a one-off final!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

The format for the finals also hasn’t been announced. If as Rumoured that it would be 5 or 6 man teams, what riders would be dropped for the final? The competition was run on 7 man teams built to a 42 points, now there’s a potential that two clubs could drop their number 7’s who have struggled to score both home and away and Glasgow would lose Connor Bailey. This would leave Poole and Leicester with their 3 heat leaders and Glasgow running at a reduced strength team before the tapes have even gone up.

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

So Glasgow haven't also got 3 heat leaders???  They would simply go with their usual 6 ie without Ulrich who has retired.

3 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Glasgow built on a strong reserve pairing with Connor and Danyon, Leicester and Poole built with three 8+ Point heat leaders. If it drops to a 6 man team Poole drop a rider who has scored 22 points home and away all season Glasgow drop a rider who’s scored 98 points home and away. 

While nothing was announced pre-season, the 3 team tournament has always been 6 rider teams (could always include a non riding number 7). So this can't be used as a reason for pulling it! So Poole would always have been favourites in a 6-a-side final!

Not that there's anything wrong with that, a fit Edinburgh pairing would have been favourites for the pairs & when the 4TT was run, teams with strong top 4s would be likely to do well!

I don't ever remember a team pulling out of the fours or pairs (unless through injuries)! Assuming Glasgow are allowed guests - no reason to pull out!

6 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

While nothing was announced pre-season, the 3 team tournament has always been 6 rider teams (could always include a non riding number 7). So this can't be used as a reason for pulling it! So Poole would always have been favourites in a 6-a-side final!

Not that there's anything wrong with that, a fit Edinburgh pairing would have been favourites for the pairs & when the 4TT was run, teams with strong top 4s would be likely to do well!

I don't ever remember a team pulling out of the fours or pairs (unless through injuries)! Assuming Glasgow are allowed guests - no reason to pull out!

It's all only rumour at the moment. Nothing confirmed anywhere. Although Matt Ford in todays local Echo is still referring to 'the treble'!!

Edited by Skidder1

Makes 7 weeks without a meeting all the more farcical. I'm not often critical of my promotion but this, if true, is very poor. Can ride 7 days a week if we wanted but couldn't find a date in this 7 weeks during the summer when weather was great? I get that now we've 5 riders and at least 2 are probably wanting away to warmer climate asap. But imo the issue is not agreeing a fixture during the summer

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I am usually disappointed when a season draws too a close, this season there is no disappointment this tells a lot on how the season went especially the fixture planning which was not as good as farcical.

Very disjointed season in Tigers case.7 week with no home meeting is a joke.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:27 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Asked about this tonight. Glasgow have pulled out. Shouldn’t be allowed to imo but dates are Poole on the 26th and Leicester 29th. 

Really? Isn't there a chance Glasgow could get fined for pulling out of the competition? I had a feeling something like this was afoot at the last home meeting when the announcer was talking like the Poole meeting was the last race of the season.

21 hours ago, Noelinho said:

If Glasgow have pulled out, it is disappointing, but I understand it too. We’ve had nothing to watch since pretty much the start of August, who would bother to come out now for one last match on a cold, damp October night? Glasgow’s season has been effectively over for two months. I can’t even remember the last home fixture before the playoff semi final, it’s that long ago. Was it Birmingham, maybe?

Birmingham?? Try Ellesmere Port! :rofl:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Really? Isn't there a chance Glasgow could get fined for pulling out of the competition? I had a feeling something like this was afoot at the last home meeting when the announcer was talking like the Poole meeting was the last race of the season.

How do you think the owners will react if Glasgow get fined? That could be a can of worms. 

31 minutes ago, Beirao said:

How do you think the owners will react if Glasgow get fined? That could be a can of worms. 

Don’t think they would want to jeopardise Allied sponsorship which a fine most certainly would.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s not very Professional to pull out IMO.It damages their reputation which is a shame given the effort they have put into the sport since they took over.

Maybe not but nobody knows the reasoning behind pulling out.

To be honest it will be kept in house and rightly so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Have they Officially pulled out?