British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2023

15 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I guess it boils down to how ambitious those promotions are, the desire of them and their patrons to see GP standard riders and how good their sponsors are. 

Teesside/Middlesbrough/Redcar never been Div 1 and I've no interest in that rubbishshow

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Flappy said:

Under strength teams make it unfair for any team fighting for the play offs if teams are giving up 

Absolutely but unfortunately when the bloke financing the team walks out halfway through the season there isn't much you can do other than patch things up.  Apart from pray that Laguta sees the year out.

I'd also suggest that replacing Edwards with Rowe isn't consistent with giving up. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely but unfortunately when the bloke financing the team walks out halfway through the season there isn't much you can do other than patch things up.  Apart from pray that Laguta sees the year out.

I'd also suggest that replacing Edwards with Rowe isn't consistent with giving up. 

And easy to moan and groan about Buster but without him Kings Lynn speedway would have closed the day Brady walked out .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

Teesside/Middlesbrough/Redcar never been Div 1 and I've no interest in that rubbishshow

6 of the 7 Redcar Bears race in the top tier.

Are you interested in watching them this season in the second tier?

If so, and Redcar moved up and used these 6 riders in the top tier, why would you not be interested in watching them?

And, with the addition of one heat leader, those 6 would pretty much be a top tier team anyway.

Certainly, my having seen Charles Wright for example at both Redcar and Belle Vue this season, I'd hardly describe watching him at the NSS as a rubbish show.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Haza said:

And easy to moan and groan about Buster but without him Kings Lynn speedway would have closed the day Brady walked out .

It's been suggested that Speedway at King's Lynn started to close, and continued to do so everytime the clay content in the track was increased. I've not travelled there post covid, but previous experiences of poor track and the inability to start before 7:50pm combined with a poorly run show was not a positive experience. 

Edited by Lefty
Spelling

13 hours ago, hasta la vista said:

Oxford are only allowed to run once per week that as specified by SIS who own the lease on the stadium as every other day is for dogs (racing or trialling) so they will not go Prem as is.

Who are SIS? Are they the new greyhound owners who also own the speedway and have a new 10 year lease?

Supporters who have seen clubs close because promoter ran out of money will have no problems in Keith Chapman running the Stars to budget. Having said that, I hope he keeps Laguta. If you want an example, look at Eastbourne where the Arlington. Stadium is now just for cars with the bikes banished. Ask an Eastbourne fan if they would prefer ‘on budget’ speedway or no speedway. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GregoryM said:

6 of the 7 Redcar Bears race in the top tier.

Are you interested in watching them this season in the second tier?

If so, and Redcar moved up and used these 6 riders in the top tier, why would you not be interested in watching them?

And, with the addition of one heat leader, those 6 would pretty much be a top tier team anyway.

Certainly, my having seen Charles Wright for example at both Redcar and Belle Vue this season, I'd hardly describe watching him at the NSS as a rubbish show.

yeah - good point well made, I was thinking more of the win at all costa attitude which poisons the top div and the scramble to have teams they can't afford. Just my opinion.

Buster has turned into Brian havelock when he was at Redcar. 
Producing teams which once announced you kinda knew the season was over before it began. However he ran at a profit albeit a small one. 
majority of fans dissatisfied and crowds dropped. 
in came new promotions who spent a bit more and sensibly and grew their business slowly and successfully. 
I guess whoever you support you just want your team to be competitive.  Someone has to come last but you don’t want to go into the season in march knowing you have no hope. 
Buster has had enough and it shows. And he has more than done his bit. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Supporters who have seen clubs close because promoter ran out of money will have no problems in Keith Chapman running the Stars to budget. Having said that, I hope he keeps Laguta. If you want an example, look at Eastbourne where the Arlington. Stadium is now just for cars with the bikes banished. Ask an Eastbourne fan if they would prefer ‘on budget’ speedway or no speedway. 

Totally agree and what is disappointing with regards Eastbourne having looked into the finances, the sport was sustainable at Arlington, it was just miss managed by an individual  that caused the club to fold.

Edited by M.D

47 minutes ago, M.D said:

Totally agree and what is disappointing with regards Eastbourne having looked into the finances, the sport was sustainable at Arlington, it was just miss managed by an individual  that caused the club to fold.

And in the stadium owners long term interest to prove the stadium in unviable and get permission for housing 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Buster has turned into Brian havelock when he was at Redcar. 
Producing teams which once announced you kinda knew the season was over before it began. However he ran at a profit albeit a small one. 
majority of fans dissatisfied and crowds dropped. 
in came new promotions who spent a bit more and sensibly and grew their business slowly and successfully. 
I guess whoever you support you just want your team to be competitive.  Someone has to come last but you don’t want to go into the season in march knowing you have no hope. 
Buster has had enough and it shows. And he has more than done his bit. 

There comes a point where you either run it at a profit, or at least breakeven or not at all, no one unless they are a multi millionaire etc is going to continually write off losses year after year - I remember many a promoter rolling up in a blaze of glory saying how they were/ are going to turn their club into a powerhouse and win the league - they all fade away into obscurity before too long. I can also imagine you have a 'life expectancy' in running something like speedway - to be fair to Buster he has been in the game quite a while now.

This is a key line - yes we do but also we have to sometimes accept that maybe we can't - my football team is a small town one (well city now) and they are never going to get into the premier league so I have to make do with lower league and right now Conference league stuff. I don't particularly like it but as a realist i understand thats where we are at the moment. We had some good times in the Championship but it has pretty much bankrupted us - look at Portsmouth - their 'winning' team almost saw them go out of business and the football league.

I think part of the issue is us fans sometimes have no sense of realism in their expectations sometimes and then the moment the side loses a game / match or two people are demanding changes often for changes sake! If a manager in football loses the first 3-4 games in a season they are often out the door before the end of October. And of course as fans we have a lot of "I Told you so" experts out there!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ch958 said:

yeah - good point well made, I was thinking more of the win at all costa attitude which poisons the top div and the scramble to have teams they can't afford. Just my opinion.

All divisions have teams that have a win at all costs mentality.  The NL less so these days.

it’s not just the top flight that do it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

I have absolutely no problem with budget speedway but teams need to be competitive, if he isn’t willing to run teams up to the required level in the Premier League then run them in the Championship where the costs are a lot lower

Teams need to be at the very least competitive, that way you ensure good support and confidence levels ensuring everyone, riders, supporters and management remain positive.

Getting stuffed everywhere just drives supporters away like it has at Lynn, tomorrows attendance will be interesting as it’s on TV so the usual travelling supporters will be able to watch it on Eurosport.

• Like 1

Two different publications from the respective teams. 

Lynn's preview has Laguta in with Harris on standby as a guest, if required.

Wolves preview already has Harris in the lineup. 

Is it fair to say that Laguta is unlikely to be at Wolves tomorrow? However, he does appear to be riding for Wroclaw this afternoon.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

Laguta is absolutely fine judging by his score in Poland, be interesting to see if he does turn up. And if not what the reason is for it 

Yes very interesting and time will tell and if he doesn’t show up as Wolves state in there preview, even more interesting will be the cock and bull excuse from shifty Mr Chapman who’s incapable of being honest and who clearly thinks Stars fans are as thick as pigsh*t like he is!! 
KL and speedway fans certainly deserve better than this.