British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2023

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

100%, but things are very different today to years gone by. People demand VFM & when you have 3 clubs well backed with World Class rider's, just surviving isn't acceptable for the paying supporter. 

It's why Peterborough & King's Lynn fans have meltdowns.

You can't compete at this level on those budgets unfortunately 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mikebv said:

"We should get Bartek in"...

"Or Magic"...

'Or Woffy, in fact let's make two changes"...

"Robert Lambert!!!"..

Let's all risk the future of a club trying to win something that has, by the very nature of the way the competition is ran, little, credibility,relevance, kudos, or financial reward...

A baffling view from so many fans...

"Monkey Tennis"!!!!!!

I’ll give you the financial reward part, but not the others. What I find “baffling” here is you’re a Belle Vue supporter! I guess you were at the bar and missed the euphoria from fans, riders, team manager and everyone connected to Belle Vue when they finally clinched the title after so many years? This isn’t the first time you’ve claimed winning the title is pointless, it’s anything but. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Panthers70 said:

2019     (7 teams)

6             King's Lynn         

7             Peterborough

COVID

2021     (6 teams)

1             Peterborough

2022     (6 teams)

5             King's Lynn         

6             Peterborough

2023      (7 teams)

7             Peterborough

Buster must have really hated 2021, it ruined his "perfect" record.

Solid team with a reserve who was flying at the start of the year, so much so that he ended up at No 1 and then got injured, the team was confident had an excellent team manager and always had an in form reserve.

36 minutes ago, iainb said:

I think the point is what is the point in winning the title in tangible benefits? Are BV's crowds significantly up this year, is there blanket media coverage every time they ride? What was the prize money they won? Extra sponsorship gained? They just got a pot in the cupboard and an entry in the history books, which is ok for the likes of a village cricket team... but a professional sports club?

they need to get people through the gate, that is the most important thing.  No , winning the league may not give them much financial reward the following season, but it will give them huge crowds for at least one play off meeting, which in turn could help with team building the following season.

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

I think the point is what is the point in winning the title in tangible benefits? Are BV's crowds significantly up this year, is there blanket media coverage every time they ride? What was the prize money they won? Extra sponsorship gained? They just got a pot in the cupboard and an entry in the history books, which is ok for the likes of a village cricket team... but a professional sports club?

What do you mean “just a pot in the Cupboard”? It’s sport, that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? I’ve already conceded the financial part, as far as I know there’s no financial gain from winning it, but it’s still not “pointless” or “worthless” is it? I don’t understand some of you who downplay winning a league title. Whether it’s football, cricket, tiddlywinks or Speedway, if it’s your club you want to see them successful surely? And I think it IS important as far as sponsorship goes. I remember reading pre-season the thoughts of Chris Louis who said how lucky he was that the club was very well backed by excellent sponsors, but those sponsors want to be associated with a successful club, not failure and he has to deliver for them as well as the fans. Ask Guy Nicholls if Ipswich winning the league is important to him. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Aries said:

What do you mean “just a pot in the Cupboard”? It’s sport, that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? I’ve already conceded the financial part, as far as I know there’s no financial gain from winning it, but it’s still not “pointless” or “worthless” is it? I don’t understand some of you who downplay winning a league title. Whether it’s football, cricket, tiddlywinks or Speedway, if it’s your club you want to see them successful surely? And I think it IS important as far as sponsorship goes. I remember reading pre-season the thoughts of Chris Louis who said how lucky he was that the club was very well backed by excellent sponsors, but those sponsors want to be associated with a successful club, not failure and he has to deliver for them as well as the fans. Ask Guy Nicholls if Ipswich winning the league is important to him. 

Don't forget you're talking to somebody here who saw his team win the 2019 CL and the club did absolutely nothing with it in the way of marketing it to the general public, let alone their own fans... home fans never even got to see the trophy! And a fan who followed his team in the league and was expected to travel over to KL to watch his team ride in their "home" leg of the pay off final and a fan who followed his club around the country supporting them in their quest to win the Jubilee Trophy (Summer Trophy) and is still waiting for his team to ride in the final of that competition!

With all due respect to Guy Nicholls, who I don't know, but I suspect he was a Speedway fan and has pumped money into the club by the way of sponsorship because of that, a Speedway fan that has built a successful business? If there really was a tangible benefit to sponsoring a Speedway club bigger companies than his would be queuing up to sponsor riders & clubs, companies that are not fans of the sport but can see a clear and tangible benefit on sponsorship... unfortunately they're more of a man with skip variety of company and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I'm not knocking those who do come forward with sponsorship, there would probably be no Speedway without them.

You say it's sport, that's what it's all about... is it? Is it a sport? When the captain of your team is riding for all and sundry and your manager is managing another club and your owner/promoter owns/promotes another club... is that a sport? For it to be a sport it has to have integrity, speedway has absolutely none bar from 4 riders racing 4 laps against each other, it stops as soon as they leave the track.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

No problem with working to a budget but teams in whatever league the management choose need to be competitive, if you cannot afford to be competitive in the Premier league then run in the Championship.

I seem to recall Chapman’s King Lynn team did rather well in the Championship past decades.

I thought the top league had to have a minimum number of teams, I could be wrong as I don’t follow it closely. So if as you suggest Buster had gone 2nd division and took Peterborough 2nd division what would have happened to all the other clubs wanting to stay in the top division. 

just a random thought

Everythings a  gamble tbf. Too an extent you are gambling about getting to the final when 3,500 at 20 sovs  a pop for the home leg  a kops a right lump and prob gets your investment in the season back with 15 or 20 on top. Some are prepared to gamble more than others i spose. Some teams, not in this league have such good support that they can pay good money year in year out for a solid side, others struggle. The league below is a prime example of this.

22 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I thought the top league had to have a minimum number of teams, I could be wrong as I don’t follow it closely. So if as you suggest Buster had gone 2nd division and took Peterborough 2nd division what would have happened to all the other clubs wanting to stay in the top division. 

just a random thought

Let’s be fair rules are very fluid within U.K. speedway, we regularly have five year plans that last one year and the speedway regulations change yearly so rules generally mean nothing.

Also what the BSPL regularly state has often been proved to be totally unreliable and bears no relation to common sense at all.

1 hour ago, Star Lady said:

just a random thought

I think it is 6 teams minimum. Teams would have to move up if others are moving down! 

5 hours ago, Aries said:

I’ll give you the financial reward part, but not the others. What I find “baffling” here is you’re a Belle Vue supporter! I guess you were at the bar and missed the euphoria from fans, riders, team manager and everyone connected to Belle Vue when they finally clinched the title after so many years? This isn’t the first time you’ve claimed winning the title is pointless, it’s anything but. 

Loved the play offs, but to win lose or draw wouldnt have bothered me. 

The racing was great...

And is consistently very good all around the country..

You cannot take it seriously though can you? 

Guest Riders dictating where the titles end up, and who qualifies for the play offs, potentially preventing their own team, their fans, and even themselves from winning anything..:D

Guest Managers taking charge of another team on nights their own team are riding?:D

And riders being prevented from riding for their own team because they have an injury, but allowed to ride for another team because they haven't..:D 

For those who still take seriously a competion that has all that as part of its operating then fair play,...

Like so many others now who attend reasonably frequently, I just enjoy watching the racing and whoever wins, then good luck to them..

As I say, the racing nowadays is as good as anything I have seen served up.

• Like 3