British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2023

13 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Nicholls is probably the most successful self-made businessman in Suffolk, and a life-long Witches fan.

I think Guy got involved with Lynn the same time as Holder rode for us (probably helped finance the deal as they are friends). As soon as the relationship broke down between Holder and the club, I'm guessing that was the end of that.

7 minutes ago, TTT said:

My thoughts are :lol::lol:

The issue has nothing to do with getting rider's, it's cash. Nobody is interested in riding for the Scrimping Stars or the Peanut Panthers. 

Not sure Sheffield, Ipswich or Belle Vue will suffer the same problems if injuries or poor performances arise. 

There has to be 4 - 5 points Danes, Swedes or Germans out there to take a punt on needing rides. The other issue is, clearly Allitt's phone only has about 14 rider's numbers in it, plus Holder & Batchelor's deleted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The issue has nothing to do with getting rider's, it's cash. Nobody is interested in riding for the Scrimping Stars or the Peanut Panthers. 

Not sure Sheffield, Ipswich or Belle Vue will suffer the same problems if injuries or poor performances arise. 

There has to be 4 - 5 points Danes, Swedes or Germans out there to take a punt on needing rides. The other issue is, clearly Allitt's phone only has about 14 rider's numbers in it, plus Holder & Batchelor's deleted. 

This completely 

23 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Don’t forget Simon Lambert is on speed dial on Alitt phone to be ready to ride for either club . 
But totally agree with all you posted .

32 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I agree.

42 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

C Holder and Batchelor's numbers are deleted for good reason.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, JackPells said:

He most probably did. However, it's not like Alex Brady hasn't put in a sizeable investment into the club and I'm sure these MacInnes boys have thrown some money into the coffers too. It's just that the money has been directed in the wrong place. If this is the standard we now have to become accustomed too, then the Premiership isn't the league for us. 

I have said this many many times that all I want to see is a competitive team, no one likes to see their team get buried every week, if promoters are not able or willing to pay to ensure a team is competitive then the simple answer is to run in a league you can afford.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I have said this many many times that all I want to see is a competitive team, no one likes to see their team get buried every week, if promoters are not able or willing to pay to ensure a team is competitive then the simple answer is to run in a league you can afford.

Spot on. 

Lynn and Boro fans are fed up with propping the Premiership up, tine to get out and be competitive.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

They can use Bomber every other week..

Bomber's other commitments to everyone else not with standing obviously.. 

The Polish 2nd tier is full of riders that could be suitable..

With the beauty being you only need to sign them, they turn up once, and then have guests for the rest of the season due to all the Polish fixture clashes that UK Speedway have allowed to take place..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

KL really did have a great opportunity this season to build a strong team with Jakobsen starting on seemingly low starting average ( any team in the league would have had him ) it’s an opportunity that only comes around once in a blue moon similar as to when we signed Darcy Ward in the old PL - in those days we took advantage and won the old PL but sadly in 2023 the advantage wasn’t taken when we signed KK and kept Allit’s mates rather than being tough we was weak in team building and the advantage of Jakobsen average was lost .These golden opportunities don’t come around very often this might be the last such opportunity that comes our way . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haza said:

KL really did have a great opportunity this season to build a strong team with Jakobsen starting on seemingly low starting average ( any team in the league would have had him ) it’s an opportunity that only comes around once in a blue moon similar as to when we signed Darcy Ward in the old PL - in those days we took advantage and won the old PL but sadly in 2023 the advantage wasn’t taken when we signed KK and kept Allit’s mates rather than being tough we was weak in team building and the advantage of Jakobsen average was lost .These golden opportunities don’t come around very often this might be the last such opportunity that comes our way . 

I know sometimes a "Golden Ticket" reserve has been on considerable money, given his bargaining power, and the impact he can have makes him a "must have".

Poole in particular over the years always seemed to bring in a "four point superstar", who pretty much becane a fourth HL, but one that gave great flexibility by replacing anyone at anytime..

But given their level of success,, and the crowds it brought, they obviously built it into their business model and it worked great for them..

Maybe KL are not of the same financial position to speculate the same? 

And let's be honest, a successful team wont probably bring in even 500 more every week will it? 

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Agree with you totally.In all sport you should do all you can to be competitive,not just to take part.Although that's what some feel in this country now,in general that is.I can't believe some speedway fans though want to see a number 8 utilised more.This would only make the team having to use a number 8 even more weaker.If we had to use say S.Lambert as a number 8 and he had to replace Pickering until he was fit that would put me off straight  away.At least with the guest situation it only weakens you slightly under normal circumstances.

Edit:Reading the article it seems the UK have allowed Poland to have the Mondays as rain offs too.There was me thinking it was only Thursdays.

Edited by tellboy
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Agree with you totally.In all sport you should do all you can to be competitive,not just to take part.Although that's what some feel in this country now,in general that is.I can't believe some speedway fans though want to see a number 8 utilised more.This would only make the team having to use a number 8 even more weaker.If we had to use say S.Lambert as a number 8 and he had to replace Pickering until he was fit that would put me off straight  away.At least with the guest situation it only weakens you slightly under normal circumstances.

Edit:Reading the article it seems the UK have allowed Poland to have the Mondays as rain offs too.There was me thinking it was only Thursdays.

The reality is that for most tracks, being 'successful" doesn't bring in several hundred more every week..

Yet being "unsuccessful" doesn't lose you several hundred every week either..

But being "unsuccessful" can be better financially...

As we have seen, title winners can end up going bust....

Being competitive at home is the mantra, with happiness truly being 46-44, meaning a close score line to maintain interest and a victory to celebrate, and, if you take a few 60 - 30's away then so be it...

Your own fans are not likely to be there anyway...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Spot on. 

Lynn and Boro fans are fed up with propping the Premiership up, tine to get out and be competitive.

Its a fair point - nobody 'likes' losing every week and long term making up the numbers isn't a good thing, in my speedway lifetime KL have far too often been at the lower end of things and that would frustrate the hell out of me.

Peterborough on the other hand have won the title 3 maybe 4 times I can think of so not quite getting their annoyance - the last season was bad but they had just won the title before that so I am less sympathetic to them.

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The reality is that for most tracks, being 'successful" doesn't bring in several hundred more every week..

Yet being "unsuccessful" doesn't lose you several hundred every week either..

But being "unsuccessful" can be better financially...

As we have seen, title winners can end up going bust....

Being competitive at home is the mantra, with happiness truly being 46-44, meaning a close score line to maintain interest and a victory to celebrate, and, if you take a few 60 - 30's away then so be it...

Your own fans are not likely to be there anyway...

You need to be competitive though,whether you win leagues or cups that's the icing on the cake.When you have a team that lacks,like Lynn this season you will lose plenty on the gate.That has already shown this season with awful crowds for our first two meetings.Fans need to think we can win the matches we ride at home that will keep them coming a little while longer.But when you believe your team is going to get beat again this puts you off big time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Spot on. 

Didn't they win the league handsomely in 2021? :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tellboy said:

You need to be competitive though,whether you win leagues or cups that's the icing on the cake.When you have a team that lacks,like Lynn this season you will lose plenty on the gate.That has already shown this season with awful crowds for our first two meetings.Fans need to think we can win the matches we ride at home that will keep them coming a little while longer.But when you believe your team is going to get beat again this puts you off big time.

When I used to go regularly to watch the Aces from 88 to around 2005, they were pretty crap for virtually everyone of those years..

Yet crowds never really changed much, given there was never a huge starting number..

And most tracks seem to have a similar pattern..

Nowadays I suppose you have the added cost implications and many more meetings nowadays being "a bit made up" which may put a few more off..