British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2023

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

Let’s hope the prep does change that be a real bonus

The track early and late in the season was very good this year, the LC meetings in April when Pickering was on fire and then the Belle Vue and Leicester/Poole matches at the end were entertaining. It's the summer months when there is too much shale and its well watered and grippy that its follow the leader....I've heard that all the businesses on the industrial estate behind the stadium get the hump in the summer when their premises get covered in dust so perhaps that's why, but if it was prepared less grippy through the whole season it'd be one if the best tracks in the country.

15 minutes ago, mrss said:

Do fans want a better racing track or a team that’s challenging for honours? The racing can be good, but if the Stars lose the good racing is forgotten about. If the Stars win on a gate and go track people are happy.

As good as winning trophies in the noughties was I preferred the eighties and nineties when we weren't very good but the racing was often immense. Remember last heat deciders most weeks with Loram and Gustafsson trying to save the meeting in heat 15 when neither could gate for toffee, would love things to be like that again.

So personally I'd say racing over winning.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

As good as winning trophies in the noughties was I preferred the eighties and nineties when we weren't very good but the racing was often immense. Remember last heat deciders most weeks with Loram and Gustafsson trying to save the meeting in heat 15 when neither could gate for toffee, would love things to be like that again.

Racing definitely, but for once, just once it would be nice to win the league!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I remember those days too. Kevin Brice battling for two points so was also entertaining! Mike Bennett was a good presenter as well. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Was the racing that good in the 90s? Or were the meetings more memorable because of the atmosphere on the terraces. Most away teams had a rider that the crowd loved to hate. Norris, Sadler, Howe, Dugard, Pedersen, are just a few I can think of.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrss said:

Was the racing that good in the 90s? Or were the meetings more memorable because of the atmosphere on the terraces. Most away teams had a rider that the crowd loved to hate. Norris, Sadler, Howe, Dugard, Pedersen, are just a few I can think of.

Probably the atmosphere to be honest. The meetings between Ipswich & Lynn in the early mid 90s we're awesome. I remember traveling to Lynn on a cold October evening to support Ipswich in the mid 90s. I can't. Remember what the meeting was possibly the final league match but the place was full to capacity the atmosphere electric & I think Bryce & Spicer probably had the meeting of their careers for you guys that evening.

The good Friday morning & afternoon meetings were also superb. Happy days!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrss said:

Quite possible that I'm remembering  racing better than actually occurred but at the time Loram and Henka were two of the most exciting riders in the league/ world and the track was prepared with proper shale so I'd imagine it was pretty good, and of course fuller terraces and close meetings meant better atmospheres. Would agree about the panto villains too. 

Edited by Bagpuss

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Quite possible that I'm remembering  racing better than actually occurred but at the time Loram and Henka were two of the most exciting riders in the league/ world and the track was prepared with proper shale so I'd imagine it was pretty good, and if course fuller terraces and ckose meetings meant better atmospheres. Would agree about the panto villains too. 

Bobby ott was good to watch too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrss said:

Not an Eastie fan then.....

4 hours ago, mrss said:

People have got to live in the now. Money isn't there.  It's fading away.

Edited by Bald Bloke

26 minutes ago, Haza said:

Lawson confirmed at Leicester 

Good luck to him, he has been excellent for us over the last two seasons, especially 2021 when we were awful and he scored well regardless. Think on 7.71 he would have been a gamble with a few decent riders returning to the UK for 2023 but we may end up regretting his absence, who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Good luck to him, he has been excellent for us over the last two seasons, especially 2021 when we were awful and he scored well regardless. Think on 7.71 he would have been a gamble with a few decent riders returning to the UK for 2023 but we may end up regretting his absence, who knows. 

At the time the club signed him I never thought he’d come close to a 7.71 average for Lynn as when he visited with other clubs he was always poor to say the least with visiting teams - good luck at Leicester let’s hope the move doesn’t bite us in the bum 

1 hour ago, Haza said:

At the time the club signed him I never thought he’d come close to a 7.71 average for Lynn as when he visited with other clubs he was always poor to say the least with visiting teams - good luck at Leicester let’s hope the move doesn’t bite us in the bum 

Always makes a difference when a rider races a track weekly rather than occasionally, Lawson is good enough and experienced enough to adapt to anywhere as a home rider.

Essentially Lynn's side looks like MPT & KK for Lawson & Worrall, will need someone to step up and replace Richard's scoring.....Pickering you would think is that man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Always makes a difference when a rider races a track weekly rather than occasionally, Lawson is good enough and experienced enough to adapt to anywhere as a home rider.

Essentially Lynn's side looks like MPT & KK for Lawson & Worrall, will need someone to step up and replace Richard's scoring.....Pickering you would think is that man. 

I would rather have kept Lawson & Worrall personally.

1 minute ago, Mimmo said:

I would rather have kept Lawson & Worrall personally.

100%. Didn't think King's Lynn could go backwards further from the 21/22 seasons, but when you look at other clubs potential signings, King's Lynn will be the whipping boys home & away with the line-up predicted.