British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2023

36 minutes ago, Big Al said:

What does "out and out" actually mean? Sounds like a bulls**t expression, used by people but with no clear meaning.

A rider's either a number one or not. Defined by his CMA

I don't think you really get out and out no1's anymore. Back in the day in top league you would have majority of GP stars so definitely had them. 

Personally I would class anyone with 9+ average as an out and out No1, but not many of them it seems! 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I don't think you really get out and out no1's anymore. Back in the day in top league you would have majority of GP stars so definitely had them. 

Personally I would class anyone with 9+ average as an out and out No1, but not many of them it seems! 

It's almost as bad as another word which has crept into sporting boll**cks-speak, the "Marquee signing".

Strange, I've always thought a marquee is a large tent. "We've signed a large tent".....

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

You can’t afford a9+ average these days,you might find it hard to get aTeam place next season.

1 hour ago, screm said:

Plymouth clearly don't learn their lesson regarding Barker.

They will reap what they sow.

That’s daft it’s been proven it was not a recreational drug he was daft for exceeding dosages of painkillers and the Plymouth promotion took him to a clinic for a drug test to prove it was just that and nothing more so I think your comment is frankly out of order like someone else has said if your in that much pain who knows what we all would do in the same circumstances.

• Like 5

I see they announced Barker has being in the number 4 race jacket, I think some team managers think they are being "clever" by having a stronger rider in heat 14. But for me it would make sense to adjust your riding order based on your opponents, i.e if there's an opposition heat leader Barker should beat & an opposition second string Gilkes should beat - then line them up against them in heats 8/12/14 for the extra point.

Edited by szkocjasid

9 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

That’s daft it’s been proven it was not a recreational drug he was daft for exceeding dosages of painkillers and the Plymouth promotion took him to a clinic for a drug test to prove it was just that and nothing more so I think your comment is frankly out of order like someone else has said if your in that much pain who knows what we all would do in the same circumstances.

Agree about the pain issue but you have to admit there have been problems at other clubs he has been at. Barker's an exciting  rider to watch even if he can seem a little out of control on track at times. Hopefully his uncle Mark will keep an eye on him.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:09 AM, szkocjasid said:

As there's 9 teams on the league, the top 9 riders can rightly be described as number ones.

Using the 2022 aves, not just the last 10 matches (rolling aves) Howarth is the 5th best rider in the league. So I think it's fair to call him "an out & out number one"

Masters (10.03)

Morris (9.33)

Douglas (9.24)

Harris (9.07)

Howarth (8.87)

Cook (8.84)

R.Worrall (8.74)

Pickering (8.67)

Lawson (8.48)

Masters,Lawson,Harris,Douglas,Morris there I’d call out and out no1 riders atm