British Speedway Forum

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

Leicester will be playing a very dangerous game if they turn Lawson over for a British Speedway user in Robert Lambert.

P*sh off too many loyal riders to British Speedway and they won't sign for the club again, Riders like Lambert don't give a stuff about the British league and they only do a few meetings to make a few extra grand once their Polish season draws to a close.

10 minutes ago, TTT said:

Leicester will be playing a very dangerous game if they turn Lawson over for a British Speedway user in Robert Lambert.

P*sh off too many loyal riders to British Speedway and they won't sign for the club again, Riders like Lambert don't give a stuff about the British league and they only do a few meetings to make a few extra grand once their Polish season draws to a close.

What’s really annoying is when it happened last year I honestly thought they would close the loophole so it couldn’t be done again. However what they’ve actually done is make it possible to change your team virtually at the end of the season, and not just for injuries but anyone, such as Lawson, who has earnt his team a spot in the playoffs.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

What’s really annoying is when it happened last year I honestly thought they would close the loophole so it couldn’t be done again. However what they’ve actually done is make it possible to change your team virtually at the end of the season, and not just for injuries but anyone, such as Lawson, who has earnt his team a spot in the playoffs.

But isn't that the whole point of sport?

To win? 

Maybe a transfer deadline of July end would be better with a maximum of two redeclarations per season..?

One at the end of May to still have enough time to maybe be successful for those struggling, and end of July? 

With one change allowed post July for season ending injuries to the No1, with anyone else injured, then RR used..

Bottom line is, that to take the sport seriously, (in the UK), there needs to be something worth winning, and bringing over top talent enhances that position...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

But isn't that the whole point of sport?

To win? 

Maybe a transfer deadline of July end would be better with a maximum of two redeclarations per season..?

One at the end of May to still have enough time to maybe be successful for those struggling, and end of July? 

With one change allowed post July for season ending injuries to the No1, with anyone else injured, then RR used..

Bottom line is, that to take the sport seriously, (in the UK), there needs to be something worth winning, and bringing over top talent enhances that position...

Maybe a specific number of changes allowed per season... like 1 tac sub per match, maybe 3 allowed team changes per season, or something like that

3 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Clearly if this is true then Leicester want to go out with a play off win and as they've said they won't be running the club next season there are no wider considerations for them.

Good teams make changes and win things, see Poole..

Only Poole have had one of the most settled teams over the last few years

Edited by iainb

On 8/7/2023 at 2:59 PM, justathought said:

Lawsons not going anywhere. Dont be so bloody daft 

Doesn't it depend on how "ruthless" the Lions management decide to be, in ambitions to take this season as far as possible? They've already done it a couple of times so far, but doing what some are speculating with regards to Lawson, would be a different level. Personally, I'm not keen on them doing it, but as to what might happen it's not up to me! But you could have inside knowledge of the management's intentions of course.

16 hours ago, iainb said:

Only Poole have had one of the most settled teams over the last few years

Only:  Poole have made changes previously to increase their chances of winning things the fact that they've not done ot at a lower level f late isn't relevant 

7 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Only:  Poole have made changes previously to increase their chances of winning things the fact that they've not done ot at a lower level f late isn't relevant 

Excepting a few time-bound dispensation/facilities coming to an end, isn't every change by every team made with the intention of increasing the chances of winning things (even if it's only the great A47 wooden spoon derby)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Excepting a few time-bound dispensation/facilities coming to an end, isn't every change by every team made with the intention of increasing the chances of winning things (even if it's only the great A47 wooden spoon derby)

Absolutely but people were talking about loopholes and restricted nunber of changes, clubs that want to win things are generally ruthless and why shouldn't they be

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

Absolutely but people were talking about loopholes and restricted nunber of changes, clubs that want to win things are generally ruthless and why shouldn't they be

Ruthless + shrewd judgement + business acumen generally gets it done. And a good dose of luck. Leicester since 2019 have generally had all of those, but Poole have been the masters of them for a long time any no-one else has got close - yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, noaksey said:

Allowing changes on the eve of the playoffs makes a complete mockery of the entire season. Imagine a football team getting to the Championship playoffs then being allowed to sign Mbappe for them.    Fair?

4 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Allowing changes on the eve of the playoffs makes a complete mockery of the entire season. Imagine a football team getting to the Championship playoffs then being allowed to sign Mbappe for them.    Fair?

Comparisons between speedway and football are worthless, speedway teams are built to a points limit so provided you are on or under the limit after the change then what's the issue, some people suggesting that teams should stick with the same riders are often the first to complain and/or stay away when the team is rubbish.

We've had several seasons at Wolves where the team required changing but wasn't and the season fizzled out, I'm all for changes. 

Woffinden for Holder is light years better than guests and r/r

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Imagine a football team putting a better team out through the season by borrowing players from your main rivals for the title? 

With those players doing so well that they prevent their own team, and their own fans (and even themselves) from reaching the play offs.. :D

Having a replacement rider of a similar level is far more acceptable if ever you want to take it seriously..  

35 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Comparisons between speedway and football are worthless, speedway teams are built to a points limit so provided you are on or under the limit after the change then what's the issue, some people suggesting that teams should stick with the same riders are often the first to complain and/or stay away when the team is rubbish.

We've had several seasons at Wolves where the team required changing but wasn't and the season fizzled out, I'm all for changes. 

Woffinden for Holder is light years better than guests and r/r

You’re missing the point, allowing team changes just for the playoffs is wrong. Whatever lineup has got them there should be the riders used for them. Why should anyone who’s boycotted the season be allowed to come in at the last minute, it wouldn’t be allowed in any other team sport. I don’t have a problem with Woffy replacing Holder but Lambert for an uninjured Lawson at the end of August I certainly would.

Edited by Call me wolfie

I think the issue here is averages.  Robert was unbelievable for belle Vue last season and it had zero effect on his average, if he did half a season here now his average would be well over 9.  Same with Woffy, both on averages well below current ability.  

On 8/8/2023 at 6:32 PM, iainb said:

Maybe a specific number of changes allowed per season... like 1 tac sub per match, maybe 3 allowed team changes per season, or something like that

They tried limiting the number of transfers & using a transfer window last season. That rule lasted ONE SEASON!

Probably because it was poorly written out & "abused" (in the opinion of many)

• Like 1