British Speedway Forum

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Track has consistently produced the best Speedway I have seen anywhere this year... and riders from better teams than Birmingham will be visiting, so it's not a problem :D

I wish Leicester well, especially now that speedway must be the number one sport in the City  :D

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

But do they? Just speculation on here.

Not sure losing their two (now three) local derbies would do that anyway.

Also if Peterborough stay in the top league its another plus point to put to the local council in Peterborough to retain a televised sport that is running in its highest league available 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

I wish Leicester well, especially now that speedway must be the number one sport in the City  :D

Stewart Dickson is about to take over at the King Power I understand :rofl:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

But it might as well be just as far if you cannot cover the distance on a school night.

Correct Sheffield only bring a handful of fans to Belle Vue and that's 20 odd miles away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Good. Needs one of Glasgow or Oxford to join them for an 8-8 split in the two leagues. Increased points limit in the top tier, more riders apparently available, creating a bigger divide between the two leagues with doubling up slowly being phased out over the coming years. It’s a plan of sorts at least. 

Doubt that will happen.

5 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Especially as Brady still belongs to Poole? I don't remember us selling him, but could be wrong. 

Perhaps Belle Vues clever lawyer has challenged the asset system.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would be amazed if Doyle doesn't get tapped up. The obvious choice for the No.1 and is very difficult to beat around BP. He was popular with supporters too in his previous stint.

All for seeing the better riders at Leicester, on a track that has improved track since they last competed at this level. It will be a shame though to see the inevitable departure of the Thompson's who need a couple more years in the second tier.

1 hour ago, SUPERACE said:

Love how Speedway makes up local Derbys, 70 odd mile between Leicester and Sheffield.

Poole- Plymouth is often billed as a derby match - 118 mile drive taking 2½ hours!

Edit: I see foreverblue  beat me to it.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I did mention this was happening on another but nobody seemed to believe me! I don't suppose anyone believes Peterborough are moving down to the Championship either!

Since speedway returned to Leicester in 2011 they have raced in both the first and second tiers. Coincidentally, they have never raced against Peterborough in either league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Especially as Brady still belongs to Poole? I don't remember us selling him, but could be wrong. 

Yep still ownee by Poole and Lambert nothing to do with Leicester, so don't get the connection.

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Perhaps Belle Vues clever lawyer has challenged the asset system.......

Ha ha.  Thing is, that would be easy to bring down if someone wanted to.

18 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Yep still ownee by Poole and Lambert nothing to do with Leicester, so don't get the connection.

Is Bates one of the directors on the board? I think the connection implied was if BV let Leicester have Brady next season then they will reverse their decision. Bit of a clutching at straws suggestion mind you!

Although if Poole own Brady then between Poole, Brady and Leicester anyway! 

Edited by lisa-colette