British Speedway Forum

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

6 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Tbf to belle Vue. We have an event on 8th December to tell us all that. And rider reveals. So no point telling us now. Always better to find out in person 

But we already know Dan Bewley has signed... where's the reveal in that? I hope you all look suitably surprised when he takes his Santa beard off... ho ho ho :D

7 hours ago, HGould said:

The problem at Leicester isn't so much the lights but the height the Poles are at.

The lux levels projected by the current lights are too low for TV coverage once the sun begins to set. The improved lighting will enable more flexibility in planning for Lions fixtures to be considered throughout the season rather than being limited to the short period of weeks when maximum daylight hours prevail. 

Edited by 1 valve

8 hours ago, HGould said:

The problem at Leicester isn't so much the lights but the height the Poles are at. They are too low and you get a dark area by the Air Fence.

If they are that height due to Planning the obvious solution would be to put some on the Centre Green aimed at the base of the Air bags. 

Get a few taller Poles in. The bloke who delivered my DPD parcel today will do for starters - well over 6 foot

4 hours ago, proud panther said:

The promotion already have a team in the Premiership, so I don't know why people are thinking Leicester won't be able to cope financially.

Don’t see what  having aTeam already in the Premiership has too do with it, if it doesn’t pay it way  somebody has to stump up some money.Surely they don’t want to lose their own money.

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Maybe the case when the leagues are almost the same strength but if there was a clear difference between the leagues it may be a different story... having said that Poole always had healthy home crowds when they were in the 2nd division before but I think they do get a good "holiday" crowd 

Makes me laugh when someone says the leagues are almost the same strength, if Leicesters table topping side was assembled in the Premiership it would be approximately 29 points, 10 below the limit. Not remotely close is it really

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:if it doesn’t pay it way  somebody has to stump up some money.Surely they don’t want to lose their own money.

Unless Covid or similar bites again there’s very little chance of the Leicester promotion going from profit to loss next year. 

6 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

Perhaps they can use the motorway blade from Swindon to fill in the pot holes in the car park for starters!

The car park is not owned by Leicester Speedway 

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Makes me laugh when someone says the leagues are almost the same strength, if Leicesters table topping side was assembled in the Premiership it would be approximately 29 points, 10 below the limit. Not remotely close is it really

How many riders in the PL also ride in the CL?

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

How many riders in the PL also ride in the CL?

I don’t doubt it but the overall strength of the teams is totally different. Leicester had Nick Morris as no 1 (3rd in averages at Wolves), their other 2 heatleaders Richie Worrall and Kyle Howarth  (second strings in prem), second strings Connor Mountain (reserve in prem) and Dan Thompson (rising star in prem), Reserves Max Clegg (not in prem) and Joe Thompson (no 8 in prem). Any premiership team naming that lineup probably wouldn’t score a point all season.

Edited by Call me wolfie
  • Like 2

Just now, Call me wolfie said:

I don’t doubt it but look at the overall strength of the teams is totally different. Leicester had Nick Morris as no 1 (3rd in averages at Wolves), their other 2 heatleaders Richie Worrall and Kyle Howarth  (second strings in prem), second strings Connor Mountain (reserve in prem) and Dan Thompson (rising star in prem), Reserves Max Clegg (not in prem) and Joe Thompson (no 8 in prem). Any premiership team naming that lineup probably wouldn’t score a point all season.

I was genuinely asking, I don't know the exact answer, the point is, for me, it seems too many. I think Leicester and Poole would have given Peterborough and Lynn a run for their money last season

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

I was genuinely asking, I don't know the exact answer, the point is, for me, it seems too many. I think Leicester and Poole would have given Peterborough and Lynn a run for their money last season

It’s the ones that don’t double up that make the difference, which leads to prem second strings riding as champ heatleaders etc. The faces seem largely the same but the reality is totally different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Call me wolfie said:

It’s the ones that don’t double up that make the difference, which leads to prem second strings riding as champ heatleaders etc. The faces seem largely the same but the reality is totally different.

I could see quite a competitive league of Wolves, Ippo, KL, Peterborough,  Leicester, Poole & Glasgow... not much between that lot imo

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

There was a time not too long ago, well a decade or so anyway, when second tier heatleaders were generally reserve standard/lower averaged second strings in the top tier. 

We should be working towards reinstating that ability gap between leagues. Limiting doubling up then eventually knocking it completely on the head would help there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

There was a time not too long ago, well a decade or so anyway, when second tier heatleaders were generally reserve standard/lower averaged second strings in the top tier. 

We should be working towards reinstating that ability gap between leagues. Limiting doubling up then eventually knocking it completely on the head would help there. 

The gaps not as big as it was I agree but still quite sizeable

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

Sounds good in theory, but too many of the riders doubling up rely on it to make the sport pay.