British Speedway Forum

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

1 hour ago, spt82 said:

I've mentioned this before on previous threads, but how are so many posters on this forum not able to spell Sedgmen correctly? Not exactly important but it just annoys me!

I have no problem spelling what I call him - 4 letters , begins with C......:D

• Haha 1

Is it time to admit that the RS scheme won't work already? Clubs are just going to dump them when they don't qualify for the RS scheme anymore (Brennan excluded)

Too many tempting No.6's on low averages these days for the young Brits to get the nod over them imo.

10 hours ago, TTT said:

Is it time to admit that the RS scheme won't work already? Clubs are just going to dump them when they don't qualify for the RS scheme anymore (Brennan excluded)

Too many tempting No.6's on low averages these days for the young Brits to get the nod over them imo.

This is why the rising star scheme should be in place in the championship primarily ,to give British youngsters a start there. Maybe the premiership rs should be given the 25pc discount AND  it be made compulsory for teams to fill the senior reserve slot with a rising star graduate for say 2 years after "graduation", or until they reach a determined average to allow them more opportunity to develop. After that they ought to be able to stand alone and warrant selection on merit

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

This is why the rising star scheme should be in place in the championship primarily ,to give British youngsters a start there. Maybe the premiership rs should be given the 25pc discount AND  it be made compulsory for teams to fill the senior reserve slot with a rising star graduate for say 2 years after "graduation", or until they reach a determined average to allow them more opportunity to develop. After that they ought to be able to stand alone and warrant selection on merit

You can't keep protecting riders though, I'd say Poland have it right except for the U24 position should be only for a Pole.  Sadly there is not the conveyor belt of talented youngsters coming through the ranks in Britain that there is in Poland.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Col said:

Sadly there is not the conveyor belt of talented youngsters coming through the ranks in Britain that there is in Poland.

There is a pool of willing talent available in the UK. The problem is the promoters are unwilling to turn on the conveyor belt for any length of time to get the talent sufficiently developed. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Got a higher Champ ave than Allen!

I wouldn't ever base anything off one season in Speedway due to rider injuries etc. always look for me over 3 seasons if there is enough statistics for it, last season was not a great season for Jake but he did suffer from injury which one could argue made his average suffer, should be 7+ in the championship and 4.8+ in the prem at the very least, capable of 8+ and 5+ respectively if all things fall into place

I guess in terms of prem Thomson needs that opportunity in the prem to see what he can do

• Like 2

Solid if unspectacular team.  Except for Thompson there is no potential improver. Maybe Fricke will have a better year away from NSS, he had a very poor year in the GP's (Warsaw aside), perhaps he's peaked. Maybe not riding in Ekstraliga last year affected him, not the case this year. Morris & Lawson you'd think have peaked, Sedgman & Harris are on the downward spiral. But if they make the playoff's, they could surprise someone.  I'd put the Lions behind Sheffield & Belle Vue, but as good if not better than Kings Lynn.  But better than Wolves.

Think allot depend on the (final) signings for Witches & Panthers as to whether they'll be nailed on for playoffs or in the mix for 4th spot.

53 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

There is a pool of willing talent available in the UK. The problem is the promoters are unwilling to turn on the conveyor belt for any length of time to get the talent sufficiently developed. 

The Poles wouldnt put the standard of rider in their top league as a "junior" that this country does...

The 2nd and 3rd Divs are the place for Rising Stars of all levels and ages, with the best then progressing to a protected No7 slot in the top league, with a 2 yr max protection...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

You can't keep protecting riders though, I'd say Poland have it right except for the U24 position should be only for a Pole.  Sadly there is not the conveyor belt of talented youngsters coming through the ranks in Britain that there is in Poland.

You're absolutely right, and that's why I think the scheme should be in the championship, to give younger riders more chance to develop, possibly then making premiership not a British rider on say a sub 6 championship average

27 minutes ago, Col said:

Solid if unspectacular team.  Except for Thompson there is no potential improver. Maybe Fricke will have a better year away from NSS, he had a very poor year in the GP's (Warsaw aside), perhaps he's peaked. Maybe not riding in Ekstraliga last year affected him, not the case this year. Morris & Lawson you'd think have peaked, Sedgman & Harris are on the downward spiral. But if they make the playoff's, they could surprise someone.  I'd put the Lions behind Sheffield & Belle Vue, but as good if not better than Kings Lynn.  But better than Wolves.

Think allot depend on the (final) signings for Witches & Panthers as to whether they'll be nailed on for playoffs or in the mix for 4th spot.

On teams announced I don't think many would disagree that Sheffield are once again the stand out team, If Belle Vue hadn't brought in Lambert they probably would have won last season but I think Leicester have a very powerful top four which will win most meetings and Dan Thompson is very good at Leicester so difficult to see them beaten at their home track which could get them plenty of aggregate bonus points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1 valve said:

And the fact that there is no RS scheme in the Championship, and that the jump from NL is too steep anyway. Several two pointers have been signed up for 2023 but one suspects they'll find it incredibly difficult.

I'm optimistic about the seven RS's in the Prem though, all have a pretty good 2022 to build on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Well that was an anti climax. 

2 very poor signings which leave Leicester very weak at the bottom end

Allen will get the boot for Mountain if he doesn't hit the ground running imo as it would be an easy team change to make if Mountain isn't in the Ipswich 1-7.

Edited by TTT

59 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

Well that was an anti climax. 

2 very poor signings which leave Leicester very weak at the bottom end

Surely Scott Nicholls & Connor Mountain would have been the obvious choices, Nicholls seems to have elected for Poland though and I'm still scratching my head at the omission of Mountain

I like the team. It's solid for sure.

We have basically pinched 3 number 1's from rival teams. Fricke, Harris and Lawson. And if Morris makes the gate at Leicester good luck catching him. He can improve on his 6.48 average.  Sedgmen is a steady number 2 and showed promise last year with Birmingham at Leicester. Allen is way better than a 4 point rider. He could easily displace Sedgmen at 2 and Sedgmen did a decent job for Sheffield at reserve. Don't underestimate Dan Thomson at 7. His track times are as quick as anybody's at Leicester. He's beaten Kerr and bomber Harris comfortably last season along with a few others.

. He's knows every racing line there and I expect him to be a trump card at home. I would have liked mountain but in Stewart we trust . He knows how to build a winning team and I think we will make the top 4 this year for sure. 

• Like 1