British Speedway Forum

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

10 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Train from Poole leaves at 11.40, cross London to Kings Cross and you can get to KL at 16.31.

Journey time 4hrs 51.

From Leicester at 13.15, also arrives KL at 16.31 with a change at Peterborough. Journey 3h 16.

Train strikes on Saturday. How do you propose getting home?

9 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Precedent [2010 National League] says it should be awarded to Poole.

Precedent set in the 1939 KoC, Belle Vue & Wembley shared :)

Edited by iainb

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Precedent set in the 1939 KoC, Belle Vue & Wembley shared :)

I do not believe this to be the case. All references I have seen simply refer to the competition as not completed. And anyway no legs were staged so not a comparable situation.

Edited by arnieg

What a joke this once massive sport has become. Poole in the second div. no more Swindon, Coventry, Zummerzet, Newcastle etc., 6 team Premier, thousands deserting the sport in last 10 years or so. Sad to see speedway on its arse:( The only highlight has been return of the Ox. Oh dear.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I do not believe this to be the case. All references I have seen simply refer to the competition as not completed. And anyway no legs were staged so not a comparable situation.

1986 Oxford & Cradley Heath then?

6 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

What a joke this once massive sport has become. Poole in the second div. no more Swindon, Coventry, Zummerzet, Newcastle etc., 6 team Premier, thousands deserting the sport in last 10 years or so. Sad to see speedway on its arse:( The only highlight has been return of the Ox. Oh dear.

Just the tip of the iceberg Auntie Doris ….2023 sees Edinburgh and Peterborough on their last season at their current locations. 
Beggars belief that even with so few sides operating they still cannot complete the seasons fixtures before winter. The Jubilee cup now postponed to 2023 …..between sides who will scarcely be recognisable from the line ups in 2022. 

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Some Leicester fans will have attended every home meeting this season, loyally supporting a sport who needs absolutely everyone it can find to attend, yet will now miss out on the very final that they have paid out hundreds of pounds to watch the qualifying process of...

And. As has been said from even Poole's most loyal follower, getting to East Anglia is never easy at the best of times but now needs to be done on a Friday which is traditionally the busiest time of the week for the road network...

I thought I may have calmed down a bit overnight... no!

This is a total disgrace and so disrespectful to both sets of fans! Fans, who like you say, have been following their team all year long, bought into the competition (literally), encouraged to go along and support their team make the pay offs, support them in the pay offs and then Boom! we've moved the deciding final leg to a track that a lot of fans won't be able to get to... on a Friday night!

And just to put the cherry on top of the icing on the cake nobody has had the balls to front up and make any comment on it from Leicester or the BSPL, just some bland statement on the Leicester website about it being "a difficult but necessary decision", that's it, no explanation as to why it was necessary? If you've run past the end of the season the damage has already been done! There will be a great many fans from both sides that won't be able to attend this and some, like myself, who will choose not to, so what was the point in moving it?!? What was the point in the whole season?

On top of all that, I've not even started on the Jubilee Trophy!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The Jubilee cup now postponed to 2023 …..between sides who will scarcely be recognisable from the line ups in 2022. 

And in different leagues!

Is that official... I've not seen it mentioned at all in weeks

Edited by iainb

Who now wins/is awarded the Championship League Title this year is becoming a secondary consideration. I sense that even some diehard fans, even from the two clubs involved, are losing all sense of real enthusiasm for this competition. And before you ask, yes, I'm planning my trip to KL tomorrow to support my adopted team.

Surely, now is the time to learn the lessons. Yes, the weather has been exceptional, but there is a view that this is going to become more the rule rather than the exception. Either way, the sport has painted itself into corner with no way out with this competition. Let's have a sensible, grown-up conversation about how we got here and without all the finger pointing design a fixture regime that avoids this going forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I thought I may have calmed down a bit overnight... no!

This is a total disgrace and so disrespectful to both sets of fans! Fans, who like you say, have been following their team all year long, bought into the competition (literally), encouraged to go along and support their team make the pay offs, support them in the pay offs and then Boom! we've moved the deciding final leg to a track that a lot of fans won't be able to get to... on a Friday night!

And just to put the cherry on top of the icing on the cake nobody has had the balls to front up and make any comment on it from Leicester or the BSPL, just some bland statement on the Leicester website about it being "a difficult but necessary decision", that's it, no explanation as to why it was necessary? If you've run past the end of the season the damage has already been done! There will be a great many fans from both sides that won't be able to attend this and some, like myself, who will choose not to, so what was the point in moving it?!?

I'm especially frustrated that they aren't laying free coaches on or something. I mean given the money a lot of us have splashed out this year (in times of increasing financial uncertainty) I'm certainly not willing to use my own petrol to get somewhere nearly 2 hours away when it's meant to be at HOME. I'd be willing to go as well but not effort on the part of the club or the BSPA to help on what will be a very long day for most fans.

3 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I'm especially frustrated that they aren't laying free coaches on or something. I mean given the money a lot of us have splashed out this year (in times of increasing financial uncertainty) I'm certainly not willing to use my own petrol to get somewhere nearly 2 hours away when it's meant to be at HOME. I'd be willing to go as well but not effort on the part of the club or the BSPA to help on what will be a very long day for most fans.

Not only have they not laid free coaches on... they've not even laid coaches on that the fans can pay for!

A total disgrace!

If this were football the fans would be outside the stadium chanting "sack the board"

Edited by iainb

15 minutes ago, mac101 said:

it’s on BSN  so any fan can pay to watch it in the comfort of their home rather than travel 

Not really the same though is it? 

The atmoshpere at Sheffield was amazing and if 300 Aces fans had watched it on TV rather than going in person, the "event" just wouldn't have been anywhere near the same...

(And Sheffield would have been a few grand light too)..

Maybe everyone could be let in for a tenner at KL to help reduce the extra cost impact of travel for the fans who attend? 

A nice gesture of goodwill, recognising the situation that the authorities have painted themselves into...

Sadly, as even a fair few Poole fans have mentioned, it doesnt mean too much now...

Which is a shame given the whole season builds up to it...

So. If the competition is devalued somewhat then let's devalue the admission fee...

Only fair maybe? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iainb said:

What about the return journey? :)

Get an overnight hotel and travel back on Saturday. Have a look around KL whilst there.

However, will there be any hotel rooms available? Home Office are booking anything they can get at the moment.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not really the same though is it? 

The atmoshpere at Sheffield was amazing and if 300 Aces fans had watched it on TV rather than going in person, the "event" just wouldn't have been anywhere near the same...

(And Sheffield would have been a few grand light too)..

Maybe everyone could be let in for a tenner at KL to help reduce the extra cost impact of travel for the fans who attend? 

A nice gesture of goodwill, recognising the situation that the authorities have painted themselves into...

Sadly, as even a fair few Poole fans have mentioned, it doesnt mean too much now...

Which is a shame given the whole season builds up to it...

So. If the competition is devalued somewhat then let's devalue the admission fee...

Only fair maybe? 

They could reduce the admission as a gesture of goodwill... but it's beyond that for me, it's about credibility and sporting integrity, both of which have been shattered. They'll point to the fact that they've already held the prices as it's a double header "Grand" final... have you seen the so called Mildenhall team they're putting together? It's beyond a joke!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I'm not sure the Poole half of the forum see it that way :rolleyes:

Of course not! Just because the other team have struggled to get the second leg on doesn't’ diminish the importance of the competition. In it to win it and tomorrow one team will be the Champs! 

But it’s highly frustrating that not many will be there and Poole fans will be down to probably 10% of who would have been there if it hadn’t been rained off last week, and that’s very unfortunate.

I believe the Leicester management could have done far more for their fans. Why haven’t they arranged coaches to help the fans get to Kings Lynn? Tickets for travel at cost price. Then it wouldn’t cost the club on travel but they would make on entrance fee. Seems a panicked bodge job with almost zero thought for Leicester fans and certainly none for travelling Poole fans who have an extra 2 hours on their journey. An utter cluster %u&!

It’s like they have washed their hands of the whole shebang, so they can start their planning for next season in the top flight, where after this debacle they are welcome to be.

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Surely they were facts? Not sure facts can be caustic and derogatory....

You must think that this is good for the sport I presume, given your unwavering support for those who plan in such things..?

Coaches cancelled so local businesses lose out....

Fans maybe have booked hotels to attend who now have to cancel, hopefully getting a refund...

One team now cannot have any home advantage in a two leg final of a sport where home advantage is fundamental...

One team now doesn't get the "bumper payday" a final brings, which often offsets losses received through the year..

Some Leicester fans will have attended every home meeting this season, loyally supporting a sport who needs absolutely everyone it can find to attend, yet will now miss out on the very final that they have paid out hundreds of pounds to watch the qualifying process of...

And. As has been said from even Poole's most loyal follower, getting to East Anglia is never easy at the best of times but now needs to be done on a Friday which is traditionally the busiest time of the week for the road network...

Also. Several Poole fans (again passionate followers of their team and sport), have also suggested that it is now a "farce"...

Now.You may say such negative comments from these loyal followers of the sport, about what should have been the flagship competition, are "caustic and derogatory"...

I would suggest, some others would say they are talking facts....

Enjoy the final, hopefully a couple of thousand of fans from both teams can make it, and plenty of East Anglians are interested to go along too...

Who knows, having a final at a "neutral venue" could become a roaring success, with both sets of fans there in big numbers and plenty of local speedway fans in attendance too...

If so, even by default, it may become a blue print for the future...

Nobody is saying the current situation is not a complete 'balls up' - fact. But imo opinion it does absolutely nothing for the sport to continually talk it down at seemingly every opportunity no matter what thread is being duscussed. Yes we all know the situation the sport finds itself in and we can all point fingers of blame. Yes I'm a Poole fan and have been for many years (also Swindon for a few years when sponsoring a rider!) and prefer to see positives in the sport wherever possible. If that comes across as arrogant to some then apologies. Whatever people think of Poole Speedway it's a well run successful business on and off track which i will continue to 'big up' at every opportunity, with a new young promoter that with others will bring new ideas to the top table with positivity about the way forward for the sport as a whole. It may not please some but managing change never does please everyone - especially those with a glass half empty outlook.

Sermon over. Have a nice day. COYP. Hopefully my flight back to UK tomorrow gets me home in time for BSN which I've already paid for.:rofl: