British Speedway Forum

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

Morning all. First ever post on here and it won't be a common occurrence. Just a tad fed up of reading nonsense about the weather and the Leicester track. To be clear, I'm a fan of the sport, not any particular club these days. I live in the area and the rain we had at the back end of last week was beyond ridiculous. Given the daytime temperatures and lack of sunlight there was never going to be any Speedway before this coming weekend . Yesterday was sporadically sunny with some wind which is great, except it's rained overnight and is still raining as I type, so it's back to square one. The local forecast is for rain every day for several days, including Saturday and Sunday. I would suggest we will be extremely lucky to see any Speedway this weekend. 

I actually chatted with one of the track guys at Leicester a few weeks back about drainage etc, after they managed to get a NL match on after some dreadful weather on a Friday, but that was when the temperatures were a lot higher and the Saturday was sunny all day, and even then the riders found it hard work. I walked the track the following morning and it was sticky to put it mildly. Those guys do a fantastic job on that track and regularly work miracles, so criticism from Charlatans on here is really not warranted. The first and second turns in particular can be under water in the morning, and they'll get a meeting on in the evening, but not at this time of year when the sun doesn't come out to help the process.

Just one final thing. I used to pop on here to browse the comments about ten/twelve years ago and found all the nastiness and bickering sapped my enthusiasm for the sport. I recently had a look for the first time in over a decade,only to find the same names having the same arguments. It's a bit sad really. Be nice to each other people. It's only sport, and a very minority one at that...

By the time this gets ok'd by the mods it'll be in the wrong place on the timeline, but you get my points.

Edited by ZakkMetal
Waiting for moderation.

You fear those last three heats could cost Leicester. A lot depends on the state of the track Saturday, if its a wet mess all home advantage will be lost.

As for Howarth, if he is getting married then absolutely a guest should be allowed, this final should have been ridden weeks ago.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t they have a blade at Leicester? Blade all the shale off and put fresh shale down. 

The Leicester promotions hope that taking the meeting into November, with The idea that the Cooks disappear down under, won’t work.

If promotions aren't bright enough to run a summer sport in the summer, then their never gonna think of running into November in the hope that a couple of riders have gone home to gain an advantage.... 

• Like 1

I don't quite understand this howarth missing saga. Why the hell is he getting married at this time of year when there's speedway on! Surely he must know that speedway never goes to plan in Britain. Leicester are just playing with rules it sounds like. Poole have bent the rules plenty of times before along with many other clubs. It's not the club's fault it's the people that make up the rules that should be questioned.

Good news! It's stopped raining... although the sun isn't out yet and the drying wind is yet to blow. I'm sure there's currently a man (or woman) with a spade and a wheel barrow relaying the BP track :t:

24 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Just let Leicester have a guest for Howarth and be done with it. It is what it is. Do Poole fans really want to win the title because Leicester had to use a NDL rider in place of him?

Absolutely some of them do!

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

Absolutely some of them do!

Yes, I'm sure if we can't get Saturday on some will bang on about how they should win as they (eventually) managed to get their leg on. 

Poole must be nailed on favourites if we can't get our track to dry out as they are used to gate and go at Wimborne Road after all.

Once again the Poole trolls bully and denigrate opponents. 

Any gardener will understand soil. 

Shale on a chalk base running into a basically sand substructure will drain a lot quicker than a substructure of clay and hardcore. 

Thats why Poole drains more quickly than Leicester. Simple geological fact. 

You can't dry out clay by artificial means and the more you try to manipulate it, the worse it gets