British Speedway Forum

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

Totally disagree with going past the 31st, it just means next season will be the same, no rush, no hurry, because they can always use November if needed.

Personally I don’t care who wins it now, and I hope those outstanding fixtures are not given a chance to take place by our friend, the weather. (Shock horror, I’ve turned into a Plymouth fan, hoping for rain offs JOKE)

The situation has been explained and why it has happened. 

That is unfortunate, I agree. 

The meeting will not be at another track, it will be at Leicester. Get some perspective, the meeting will go ahead as soon as all the work has been completed. It is also worth bearing in mind that the Leicester track curator was taken to hospital. Is it really worth time and energy repeating the same things over and over. ? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Technik said:

My view point is there has been ample time to race these meetings prior to the close of season deadline so the home teams should forfit the result 0 - 75.

I think a lot of these fixtures have been delayed because one or the other club wants to host the final leg. I don't care who is to blame but it needs sorting! 

Why should it be the home team? We often hear that visiting teams don't want to race on a date that is offered. I agree that something urgently needs sorting out but saying it is always the home team at fault is just not fair.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Technik said:

My view point is there has been ample time to race these meetings prior to the close of season deadline so the home teams should forfit the result 0 - 75.

I think a lot of these fixtures have been delayed because one or the other club wants to host the final leg. I don't care who is to blame but it needs sorting! 

If you could re-wind back to March this year:

A league of 11 comprising 10 home and 10 away matches. Complete by 31 July, no ifs or buts.

Top 5 play each other - 4 home, 4 away. Complete by 30 Sept with fixtures set by the SCB. Exceptional permission to extend to 6 October. League winners are CL Champions. No playoffs. No pratting about with "we have to have our home leg first". 

Teams finishing in positions 5-11 (5-10 in actual case with Newcastle's demise) have a mini-league of homes and aways, completion by mid October. Call it Division 3, or whatever but give the winners a cup!

KO Cup runs through the season but is lowest priority.

24 minutes ago, justathought said:

The situation has been explained and why it has happened. 

That is unfortunate, I agree. 

The meeting will not be at another track, it will be at Leicester. Get some perspective, the meeting will go ahead as soon as all the work has been completed. It is also worth bearing in mind that the Leicester track curator was taken to hospital. Is it really worth time and energy repeating the same things over and over. ? 

Good luck. Hope things go right for you and it turns out fine. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Good luck. Hope things go right for you and it turns out fine. 

Well play off final second leg was on Nov 4th last year and don't remember weather being an issue on the day. The main trouble being as Leicester needing 2 dry days to dry the track out. Very hard to do this time of year. And it has been 20 odd degrees last week or so. If temperature then returns to average how many dry days will Leicester need then? 4? 5? 

Edited by lisa-colette

All this Bull ##it  blaming the BSPA  , the main people to blame are the promoters of a certain few teams who have wanted the 2 nd leg of the qualifiers and finals 

From April to mid October these promoters have 28 weeks to fulfill there fixtures so it’s not Godfrey’s fault is it , going back a few years there were 18 teams in the league , knockout cup , 4 team tournament and playoff all with home & away fixtures, 

So really whose fault is it as I know for certain , some teams have rode fixtures without there top riders  to feather fixtures out of the way 

• Like 1

It could possibly have been run yesterday but the track needed to be completely bladed off. And Leicester clearly don’t have a blade and one is being shipped in this week. As the trackman has been taken I’ll, this has clearly delayed any decision making, delaying things further.

As for scraping the playoffs, that is never, ever going to happen. It’s a huge money earner for promotions with huge crowds. Nearly every sport has playoffs, even football. It brings in welcome income. To say there’s a league champions and a playoff champion is utter nonsense. Agree that the season could be shortened slightly so that playoffs take place in September with the final beginning of October and the KO Cup after playoffs are completed.

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

Oxford would be good for both sets of fans 

This is almost beginning to sound like a half sensible solution, if we are making the rules up as we go along, as we seem to be on this thread, to make it fully sensible, the 1st leg should be null and voided and it could be a winner take all, shoot out final at Oxford

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The simple fact of all the people saying the blading work should have been done last week is it couldn‘t be done. Today is the first day they have been able to get a tractor on the track it’s been that wet and soft the tractor wheels slip and slide  as well as it getting stuck to the wheels

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, marko said:

Totally disagree with going past the 31st, it just means next season will be the same, no rush, no hurry, because they can always use November if needed.

Personally I don’t care who wins it now, and I hope those outstanding fixtures are not given a chance to take place by our friend, the weather. (Shock horror, I’ve turned into a Plymouth fan, hoping for rain offs JOKE)

I don't think it's any coincidence that the only 2 times the 2nd division has run past the end of the official season in its history and both times Poole are involved.... glad we're moving up :D

17 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

All this Bull ##it  blaming the BSPA  , the main people to blame are the promoters of a certain few teams who have wanted the 2 nd leg of the qualifiers and finals 

From April to mid October these promoters have 28 weeks to fulfill there fixtures so it’s not Godfrey’s fault is it , going back a few years there were 18 teams in the league , knockout cup , 4 team tournament and playoff all with home & away fixtures, 

So really whose fault is it as I know for certain , some teams have rode fixtures without there top riders  to feather fixtures out of the way 

Do you know what the initials BSPA stand for?