British Speedway Forum

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

A totally dry day in Leicester and they can't prepare a track that'll be ready. They need to be better prepared in the future. Tomorrow is different, heavy rain forecast right at the wrong time, 6pm.

It’s done nothing but chuck it down for days on end, it’s October. What should they have done? 

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

A totally dry day in Leicester and they can't prepare a track that'll be ready. They need to be better prepared in the future. Tomorrow is different, heavy rain forecast right at the wrong time, 6pm.

It may be dry as in 'no rain' today but we have had rain every day for weeks so your always fighting a losing battle sadly. And it's not warm enough to dry it out sufficiently. But we all know this is what happens in October. Why people expect anything else is beyond me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well I posted it was off nearly an hour before it was made official. I don’t understand why there was such a delay in getting it online. Takes a few seconds to type it and post on Twitter, then a few minutes to get it on the website.

Next Friday is the date at the moment though surely next Saturday would mean a bigger crowd with more travelling support.

As for getting a blade in to remove the slop, why has it taken so long for the bleeding obvious to happen?

I see Poole have said there will be no coaches being run for the rescheduled match now. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well I posted it was off nearly an hour before it was made official. I don’t understand why there was such a delay in getting it online. Takes a few seconds to type it and post on Twitter, then a few minutes to get it on the website.

Next Friday is the date at the moment though surely next Saturday would mean a bigger crowd with more travelling support.

As for getting a blade in to remove the slop, why has it taken so long for the bleeding obvious to happen?

Why because Howarth should be back from his honeymoon by then 

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

An absolute farce how we are in the final week of October, in fact the final two days of October, and there are various meetings that are still to take place.

To be honest, each year since Newport folded my interest has faded more and more but have still had a quick browse on here a few times a week and find it baffling how so many clubs had empty race nights during the hottest and driest UK summer for some time yet there is a big scramble to try and complete meetings now.

Another huge subject to discuss and attempt to sort out at the AGM this winter.

Leicesteronly had one. No other club would come to Leicester on that evening.

I apologise to track staff who were upset by a post I made on Friday. It sounds like they've been struggling "against the odds" and that the equipment they've got to work with, whilst usually sufficient, has only provided limited assistance in combatting the "enemy" since 15th October.

In mitigation, my posts to this forum about Leicester since the new owners took over have been overall positive and I probably on this occasion got swept along with the general level of feelings about this ridiculous situation which is surely down to lack of foresight and planning by those who run the sport.

It's also been annoying that a Poole supporter seems to have had "inside knowledge", which he has broadcast on here including about the state of the Leicester circuit (as is his right, I suppose, providing that it is true) before such information has been provided locally. But it's just annoying, nothing more.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t think Saturday is a good option as it’s Bonfire night,Staff working other events,  Leicester City on TV and possibly issues getting medical staff as may be needed at other events 

Sunday seems the best option for fans of both clubs as a lot of rain is due to fall from Wednesday until Thursday night 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Not if its after Oct 31, as season/contracts end then.   

Leicester will be granted a facility, given what's been allowed in the past when seasons have over-run.

As a footnote, even the most rabid BSPL-haters must surely admit that this quite exceptionally-wet October is hardly the fault of the speedway authorities ......

Comets got fined for not completing fixtures before official season end of october 31!  And we were only 5 races short!

17 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Weather isn’t the fault of the authorities. Planning is though! And all clubs must share the responsibility of what is now happening, delay meetings due to riders being unfit etc hasn’t helped. Lesson’s must be learnt but like year on year they never are and I’m sure in 2023 this will happen again. 

Planning?!  British Speedway?! 

The most annoying thing about today is the communication. British Speedway clubs seem to forget about the most important people, the paying customer. At the same time that someone was phoning up middlo they should have hit send to the website and social media. It takes seconds. It should not be found out on here nearly an hour before that it's off. 

The whole track situation is another thing. Why they didn't get a blade a week ago needs an answer. 

Of course, we'll be told by certain people connected to clubs that we're keyboard warriors and we do nothing for British Speedway. We shouldn't be listened to, ignored. Well, we pay our hard earned money in various forms, subscriptions, attendance and very soon there will not be enough fans to keep clubs going. Its suffering a very slow death. Stadiums are easy pickings for developers and we've had several "Speedway Shambles" this week that do nothing for the credibility of the sport. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It may be dry as in 'no rain' today but we have had rain every day for weeks so your always fighting a losing battle sadly. And it's not warm enough to dry it out sufficiently. But we all know this is what happens in October. Why people expect anything else is beyond me. 

October is not normally so wet so not sure why people expect it to be? The point I was making is that at other tracks, they pack it down really firm, the water mostly runs off down the drains on the inside and then when it's a dry day, dry material can be placed on top. I saw Buster totally relay the track at Lynn from a total quagmire to raceable in 2 hours back in the 90s, well before the new clay surface. 

You just need the right tools and, wait for it, the right setup :D

• Like 2

It seems I have upset a few on here for posting it was off as soon as I heard. Thought the point of a forum was to inform. Should I have just kept it to myself until the news was posted on official channels? Or should I give out the info so that people can change their,plans for the day?

October is generally a dry month with cooler conditions. This year is has been exceptionally warmer with a low pressure system stuck to the west of the U.K. due to the position of the jet stream, and this is feeding moist air up over the U.K. and with it setting off heavy rain over the country. This happening is quite unusual but not rare. It still doesn’t look like this weather pattern is breaking down soon.

And yet again the powers that be that run British Speedway do their annual trick of shooting themselves in the foot. They will never learn. The league play-offs should be over and done by early October at the latest but our custodians of the sport still see fit to run it till the very end of October as that's how we've always done things here. Take a leaf out of Poland and Sweden's book. The last weeks of October should only really be used for novelty individual meetings or challenge matches. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It seems I have upset a few on here for posting it was off as soon as I heard. Thought the point of a forum was to inform. Should I have just kept it to myself until the news was posted on official channels? Or should I give out the info so that people can change their,plans for the day?

October is generally a dry month with cooler conditions. This year is has been exceptionally warmer with a low pressure system stuck to the west of the U.K. due to the position of the jet stream, and this is feeding moist air up over the U.K. and with it setting off heavy rain over the country. This happening is quite unusual but not rare. It still doesn’t look like this weather pattern is breaking down soon.

As long as the information you are posting is correct (and it has been)I don’t see what the problem is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Most clubs will have better crowds over a holiday week. Why put on a play off meeting is all I'm saying. Whether you are in a holiday town or not?!

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I think the Jubilee meetings are destined to be axed.

As for the nonsense of running the playoffs on August Bank Holiday, what utter drivel. Why run a meeting, guarenteed to bring in a big crowd, on a date when a Bank holiday meeting will bring in a big crowd regardless of it being league, cup or testimonial? Some just don’t have any business savvy.

Looking back at the results on and around Bank Holiday weekend there were hardly any championship fixtures anyway, you guys ran the CLRC (was that the original date?) and there were couple of other matches and that was it. So no big crowds anyway. 

I'd have thought it would be sensible to avoid all this embarrassment for the sport by getting the league decided early when the weather is better and kids are off school etc then leave the last couple of months for cups, trophies and other stuff.

We can't have this situation again next year. As well as trying to squeeze the most important meetings of the year into the last few wet days of October we had some sides twiddling their thumbs for over a month waiting for the Play Offs to even happen. Its amateurish and shambolic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You have every right to post it if its accurate. I want to see a more professional run sport. At the same time your source was told, they should have been hitting send to the website and social media. 

But this is just one thing in a whole list of events in recent years that takes the credibility out of the sport. Just look at that pairs apology in the week. 

Edited by Mr Bee
  • Like 1