British Speedway Forum

Poole v Leicester v Poole play off final 21/22 October

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I thought it was a super heat if the tie finishes level? What happens if it does? Replay?

Replay? Are you kidding? My diary has been in tatters for weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

It is golden heats, I've just checked the regs

So my Super Heat suggestion wasn't far wrong. B)

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yeah... heats run until a team gets a heat advantage and is declared the winner 

Or they run out of scraps of paper!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Hope they tell the ref the rules, especially after the pairs farce on Thursday 

As Referee’s Secretary, I’m sure Mr McGregor, tomorrow’s referee, will be completely au fait with the appropriate regulations.

An absolute farce how we are in the final week of October, in fact the final two days of October, and there are various meetings that are still to take place.

To be honest, each year since Newport folded my interest has faded more and more but have still had a quick browse on here a few times a week and find it baffling how so many clubs had empty race nights during the hottest and driest UK summer for some time yet there is a big scramble to try and complete meetings now.

Another huge subject to discuss and attempt to sort out at the AGM this winter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If today is called off the play offs should be listed as Uncontested,  no winner, every club is complicit (some more than others) of failing to run meetings or refusing to run/continue meetings during the season where they could have, that has led to this stage of events.

I once heard someone say “f**k around, f**k around, soon you won’t be around”

• Like 3

Not had a weather forecast on here for a few hours.....

Nor a track update...

Standards are slipping, they really are....

Often more exciting than the meeting they allude to...

PS. Don't forget the 4hrs Max in the supermarket car park....

PPS. In the event of a tie, they have dispensed with the "Super Heat" and the Officsl BSP Cardboard Box is currently winging its way from the NSS as I type...

Hope all have a good day....

;) :D

15 minutes ago, Pinny said:

An absolute farce how we are in the final week of October, in fact the final two days of October, and there are various meetings that are still to take place.

To be honest, each year since Newport folded my interest has faded more and more but have still had a quick browse on here a few times a week and find it baffling how so many clubs had empty race nights during the hottest and driest UK summer for some time yet there is a big scramble to try and complete meetings now.

Another huge subject to discuss and attempt to sort out at the AGM this winter.

3 minutes ago, marko said:

If today is called off the play offs should be listed as Uncontested,  no winner, every club is complicit (some more than others) of failing to run meetings or refusing to run/continue meetings during the season where they could have, that has led to this stage of events.

I once heard someone say “f**k around, f**k around, soon you won’t be around”

It's not rocket science.

They try to over-accomodate Clubs. Some want to run from mid March to late October (the old Len Silver concept "every Friday at 8" ) that in days gone by worked for him. Those of us over 60 will well remember pretty much ALL Clubs did this, although there were twice as many Clubs then as now.

In more recent times some Clubs actually prefer, mostly for financial reasons and gettin their optimum crowds, to run a shorter season. The Scottish Clubs with earlier main school holidays want to get as many Fixtures in July as an example, some of those in more tourist locations prefer to get there matchs in to suit (IOW when in the structure the best example)

They had the balls this year to deliver a  Legue programme that actually ENDED in mid August, but then totally ballsed it up by throwing in The Summer / Jubilee / what's it called this week, in July. That Competitiion not only stopped and split what was building in to a really competitive League programme but also caused the remaining league matches to increasingly become rain affected.

Simple solution, allow Clubs to stage a couple of early Open Meeting (IF they wish), start the KOC at Easter weekend / week, start the League the week after, schedule ALL League Fixtures to finish by 15 August, leave 1 week in interim (April to mid August) for second round KOC for any who progress. The have PLAY OFFS mid August to first week in September. Give every team 2 x BLANK dates from mid April to mid August for rain off provision and allow them to fill in with OPEN meetings IF they aren't needed.

THEN have a provision for an Autumn Competition along lines of 4 TT / Pairs for September / October ONLY for those that wish to enter and DONT penalise those Clubs who can have a voluntary "abstain" button if they don't want to run for financial / local considerations.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Not had a weather forecast on here for a few hours.....

Nor a track update...

Standards are slipping, they really are....

Often more exciting than the meeting they allude to...

PS. Don't forget the 4hrs Max in the supermarket car park....

PPS. In the event of a tie, they have dispensed with the "Super Heat" and the Officsl BSP Cardboard Box is currently winging its way from the NSS as I type...

Hope all have a good day....

;) :D

Can't give you a track update but the weather not looking that good according to the met office.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcr5qn5jy#?date=2022-10-30

Forecast has changed overnight and now heavy rain is pushing up the eastern side of the country. Looking at its track it will hopefully miss Leicester but Met Office do say an 80% chance of rain at 3pm before leaving a dry late afternoon and evening. Of course that means all of us Poole fans will be well on our way by then and it could be a totally wasted day. 

Fingers crossed it misses as we really don’t want to watch 4 riders wobbling around on a wet greasy track for the showpiece Championship Grand Final.

What has caused all this is the jet stream position throwing weather front after front straight over northern France and the U.K. it’s stuck and will be for at least another week. Meaning warm above average temperatures on a strong SW wind but leading to lots of the wet stuff, torrential at times. Very frustrating. 

We are leaving around 11 am and the coaches at 11.30.