British Speedway Forum

Swindon Speedway. Your classic memories.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, EnglishRoundabout said:

Martin Ashby representing the Robins in the British final at Coventry in 75. A run off with Ray Wilson to decide who would qualify for the world final at Wembley in September. Probably the best match race I’ve ever seen. Ashby missed the start and hunted Wilson to 3 laps, before just edging in front going into the final two bends. However, Ashby allowed just enough room for Wilson to squeeze past him and around the outside for a width of a fronti wheel win. Gutted for Martin. 

That haunted me for years. There is footage of this match race but I have never seen it. It’s not on YouTube. I still remember it clearly though. Wilson gated and rode wide, Ashby rode the inside and got up the inside of Wilson down the back straight of lap 4. Today a rider would have not allowed Wilson around the outside but Martin was a gent and gave racing room which Wilson exploited. At Wembley Wilson was crap and Ashby didn’t get a ride. Wilson went through the tapes and the full Wembley bend were chanting Ashby’s name, only for Gordeevvto come out. 

Another early Ashby memory for me was a the Abbey, against Sheffield. He was left at the start, think his fuel wasn’t turned on. He got going passed the two number two’s and started his chase of Bob Valentine down. He was a straight behind but he got Valentine off the final bend to bring the house down.

Ashby in his prime was rarely beaten with a 10.24 average. The occasional defeat at the Abbey by Collins, Olsen and Mauger. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That haunted me for years. There is footage of this match race but I have never seen it. It’s not on YouTube. I still remember it clearly though. Wilson gated and rode wide, Ashby rode the inside and got up the inside of Wilson down the back straight of lap 4. Today a rider would have not allowed Wilson around the outside but Martin was a gent and gave racing room which Wilson exploited. At Wembley Wilson was crap and Ashby didn’t get a ride. Wilson went through the tapes and the full Wembley bend were chanting Ashby’s name, only for Gordeevvto come out. 

Another early Ashby memory for me was a the Abbey, against Sheffield. He was left at the start, think his fuel wasn’t turned on. He got going passed the two number two’s and started his chase of Bob Valentine down. He was a straight behind but he got Valentine off the final bend to bring the house down.

Ashby in his prime was rarely beaten with a 10.24 average. The occasional defeat at the Abbey by Collins, Olsen and Mauger. 

Martin was very under-rated but was up there with the best Britain could offer during those glorious years of the sixties and seventies speedway's last "Golden Era".

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The first race I ever saw at Swindon Ashby beat Olsen and broke the track record. I also remember a dead-heat between them - probably the following year.

• Like 1

Ashby was brilliant at his best. He scored a 12-point maximum in the first 6 meetings i went to.

• Like 2

As Briggo once said of Crashby " Was the best rider in the world at one time but didn't realise it". Visited the Marlborough Flyer at his workshop in the town about 7 years ago, probably retired now. Such a modest, quietly spoken guy.

• Like 1

So many....one day I will list them but don't really feel like it at the moment, trying to fight for the sport without getting involved with the sham group who are pretending to....but will mention one thing and that's meeting my mate Mark through speedway and enjoying plenty Of times up there with him. 

• Like 1

My memories from early 70s until closing...

Collecting hubby bubbly bottles for a penny each.

Winning at white city at a Saturday afternoon meeting in the mid 70s.

Going on the coach to Bradford to witness their biggest away defeat at the time...kenny carter was in his last season..

Watching hans nielsen winning by nearly half a lap for oxford

My favourite swindon rider in the 80s was bo petersen...really thought they would win something with crump, nilsen and simmons

The smell of the bikes and fried onions from the burger van.

Watching swindon getting a 5-1 in the last heat to win at coventry

Standing on a cold bank in the dark watching a tractor going around..

Some good, some bad..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tric trac said:

Winning at white city at a Saturday afternoon meeting in the mid 70s.

Pretty sure I was at that meeting. Went on the coach to an Oxford meeting in the morning and then onto White City. Two meetings in one day. Had a running race around the white City track if I recall.

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pretty sure I was at that meeting. Went on the coach to an Oxford meeting in the morning and then onto White City. Two meetings in one day. Had a running race around the white City track if I recall.

As I followed both teams I can't recall 'dual' meetings if I'm honest? Swindon had plenty of luck going winning at Wood Lane as I do remember the likes of Gordon Kennett and Dag Lovass both suffering with engine problems at critical moments?

Edited by steve roberts

Getting the green Bristol Omnibus from Cavi Square to Blunsdon on a Saturday night, getting off near stadium in traffic jam and running the rest of way. Sometimes the bus would set off at final heat of second-half, so watched race from top deck to avoid missing it. Normally Briggs, Ashby, Kilby, Broady in final. A young Rosco, about 5, going round as mascot.

Climbing in, 1968 GB v Sweden, the queue to climb in was longer than the turnstile one. Officially 12000 there, but many more inside. Fantastic racing that night.

The night Mac Woolford hit lamp standard, sparks shooting out. When Broady crashed in front of us on bend 1-2 and broke his leg. Keener bouncing off pit gate.

The blood curdling shrieks coming from the back-straight bogs:D

Dave Bellego, the Flying Frenchman, winning the last 2 heats at Zummerzet for a 46-44 Swindon victory.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

This coach went to the afternoon meeting and then on the way back went to Reading vs Birmingham, I think.

We wasn't  told on the way that we would be going to two meetings so my dad was lucky he had enough money on him.

32 minutes ago, Tric trac said:

Is there anywhere you can check on past results from the 70s as I need to know if it was birmingham or not lol

Speedwayresearcher has all the results and heat details from every year.

44 minutes ago, Tric trac said:

This coach went to the afternoon meeting and then on the way back went to Reading vs Birmingham, I think.

We wasn't  told on the way that we would be going to two meetings so my dad was lucky he had enough money on him.

Yes Birmingham were at Reading that same day.

I'm guessing it was Easter Monday (19th April)?

Edited by steve roberts

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

As I followed both teams I can't recall 'dual' meetings if I'm honest? Swindon had plenty of luck going winning at Wood Lane as I do remember the likes of Gordon Kennett and Dag Lovass both suffering with engine problems at critical moments?

Have a feeling the Oxford meeting was not against Swindon, but the away team won. If someone has the 1975 fixture list this can be looked up.

Edit the sad part of me has just looked it up and it was 1976 when Swindon won at White City 35-43. The Oxford meeting must be a figment of my imagination as Oxford didn’t run the same day. We are talking way back when I was a 17 year old lad.

White City v Swindon Monday 19th April 1976 (Gulf Oil British League)
WhiteCity
1.DagLovaas
2. Trevor Geer
3. Gordon Kennett 4. Richard Hellsen 5. Richard Greer 6. Neil Cameron 7. Paul Gachet
Swindon
1. Martin Ashby
2. Norman Hunter 3. Bob Kilby
4. Bobby McNeil 5. Soren Karlsson 6. Geoff Bouchard 7. David Ashby

Ht 01: M.Ashby, Lovaas, Geer, Hunter
Ht 02: Bouchard, Gachet, D.Ashby, Cameron (ret) Ht 03: Greer, McNeil, Hellsen, Karlsson
Ht 04: Kennett, Kilby, D.Ashby, Cameron (ret)
Ht 05: M.Ashby, Hellsen, Hunter, Greer
Ht 06: Kilby, Lovaas, Geer, Bouchard (ef)
Ht 07: Karlsson, McNeil, Gachet, Kennett (ef)
Ht 08: Geer, Hunter, D.Ashby, Lovaas (ef)
Ht 09: Kilby, Greer, Bouchard, Hellsen
Ht 10: Kennett, McNeil, Karlsson, Lovaas
Ht 11: Kennett, M.Ashby, Greer, Hunter
Ht 12: Kilby, Karlsson, Hellsen, Lovaas
Ht 13: Kennett, M.Ashby, Greer, McNeil
35-43

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1