British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2023

14 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Must admit I am at a bit of a loss as to the Batchelor hate - he had a decent enough season, he tailed off towards the end but mid season he was pretty much unbeatable at Foxhall for a few matches. As usual a couple of wets on a forum think they speak for the 1800 regulars at Foxhall!

I think his Sheffield season is best forgotten - it just didn't work out - when I attended the last Ipswich match at Owlerton he was getting hand signs and everything from grown men who should no better - one spanner who looked like he didn't even had the strength to ride a push bike was giving it the old hand job signs - sad speciman!

I think many would say that he doses not come across as a particularly likeable person

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Must admit I am at a bit of a loss as to the Batchelor hate - he had a decent enough season, he tailed off towards the end but mid season he was pretty much unbeatable at Foxhall for a few matches. 

His form did tail off towards the end of the season and because of the way they now calculate the averages it dropped his average back down to the 5 and a half mark which he started on. He was averaging mid to high 6’s most of the season. 

Another example of the way these daft averages now work is Josh Pickering. Was averaging high 7’s at one point but after a few weeks of his scores dropping off towards the end he’s now on an average of just over 6. 

Anyone signing Batch on 5 and half is NOT getting a poor signing. Anyone claiming otherwise is blinkered by their dislike of him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Are you serious?? 

It's not just Ipswich fans that don't appreciate him, he's not liked everywhere except Swindon. 

His arrogant attitude with awful performances isn't serving him well. 

Yet again, his average isn't a bargain, it's his level now

I've spoken with Batch on several occasions this season just gone and he is actually a very nice bloke

He is always happy after meetings and is patient with fans wanting to get autographs etc. and even when having had a bad meeting (I will wait for someone to say every week then) he still offers time to fans - other riders lock themselves in their vans or just go home!

His average now is based on mainly riding at no.3 or no.5 which is a heat leader position, at 5.57 I would have him riding next season if he could be riding at either no.2 with Doyle or riding at no.6  and I would even say he would put a 0.5 or more on his average

1 minute ago, Falcon1983 said:

I've spoken with Batch on several occasions this season just gone and he is actually a very nice bloke

He is always happy after meetings and is patient with fans wanting to get autographs etc. and even when having had a bad meeting (I will wait for someone to say every week then) he still offers time to fans - other riders lock themselves in their vans or just go home!

His average now is based on mainly riding at no.3 or no.5 which is a heat leader position, at 5.57 I would have him riding next season if he could be riding at either no.2 with Doyle or riding at no.6  and I would even say he would put a 0.5 or more on his average

Couldn’t agree more I noticed that too. Always had plenty of time after meetings with the kids taking photos and signing autographs and came across as very kind. 

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Anyone signing Batch on 5 and half is NOT getting a poor signing. Anyone claiming otherwise is blinkered by their dislike of him. 

and thats the rub of it - personally i'd be happy to see him ride back at Foxhall in 2023 - he did the job that was asked of him from my perspective.

16 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

His form did tail off towards the end of the season and because of the way they now calculate the averages it dropped his average back down to the 5 and a half mark which he started on. He was averaging mid to high 6’s most of the season. 

Another example of the way these daft averages now work is Josh Pickering. Was averaging high 7’s at one point but after a few weeks of his scores dropping off towards the end he’s now on an average of just over 6. 

In old money his 'proper average' was about 7.00

• Like 1

I think Batch got a lot of hatred from fans last year which he didn't warrant. Yes sometimes he gave up at the back but the poor guy was chucked at number 5 because a guy who started 2 points in the averages ahead of him didn't turn up last year! Batch lost 0.10 off his average when riding at 5. King dropped 1.19 off his average but because he was trying the non existent outside line all year no one can say a bad word about him! And he got 2 brand new engines which didn't help him either 

• Like 1

I'd take Batchelor at Peterborough on that average like a shot tbh. 

Do I give a monkeys if he comes across likeable? No 

Do I think on that average he can at least add a point? Indeed

Can he find the form that once had him a 9 point man? Doubtful but he could be a solid 7 pointer.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Can he find the form that once had him a 9 point man? Doubtful but he could be a solid 7 pointer.

I'd have him at Panthers too on that average.

He can improve his average to somewhere in the region of 6.25 - 6.75 imo.

I'm not bothered about the personality of the riders who line-up in our team just as long as they all score points on the track.

19 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Your deluded if you think he can be a solid 7 pointer, I very much doubt he will improve his PL average at all. 

I love him:P,, would be the first name on my team sheet on that average,,,,out of the three mentioned,,, he should be the one to average improve more than the other 2.  The problem is,,, would he be given a number 2 slot,,, let's be honest, he probably needs a bit of love and attention to bring the best out of him,,, but it looked like they protected Danny last season. 

• Like 3

Tbh I have no problem with batch at all.

I find him frustrating, he can be so so good and so so poor and it’s extra frustrating when he is poor knowing how good he can be!

would he be one of the first names on wish list no not necessarily, that said don’t really feel it was altogether fair on him this year, he was exposed at 5, not like he’d come to us on 8+ and lost 3 points like before…

if he fits into the side as the 4th/5th average and his responsibility was as a second string happily have him back, all depends where he fits into the team, wouldn’t be right to have him back and bung him at 5 hoping he’s going to return to a 2018 troy

• Like 1