British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2023

4 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Pepsi out of a bottle for sure

As for the price of speedway i think £20 is about right as its a single note, but saying that if i knew i was spending £400 a season on speedway across 20 meetings and they decided to charge £25 and do less fixtures I'd probably still go as in my head I'd be spending less money overall

Doubt I'd get a season ticket unless the club introduce a Klarna pay in 3 deal 

Yeah totally understand not everyone can stump up the upfront free particularly during these troubled times when most of us are feeling the pinch. To be honest they’ve not really been worth it in the past as they leave you very little room for missing a meeting for whatever reason and you’re out of pocket. They’ve been poor value. But as I’ve said they were a little better this year so I picked one up for the first time ever. Being now transferable so if you couldn’t make it you could pass it to someone else to use was an added incentive. No idea why that took so long!

It was actually nice to have it all sorted for the year and not have to worry about finding the entrance money on the day. Walking straight in through the season ticket gate and skipping the queue was also nice. All will come down to value again for next year for me. If I’ll again gain a couple of free meetings then I’ll probably get another. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The point is speedway is struggling to get people through the door for many reasons, putting the price up ought to be the last thing they do. I appreciate costs are rising for clubs but just sticking the price up and hope people keep coming is poor. About time they thought out of the box, or better still explore all the space inside the box they haven't yet bothered to use! 

Sorry we’ll agree to disagree. At a time when EVERYTHING is going through the roof price wise we can’t expect Speedway promotions not to increase their prices when they’ll also be seeing increasing costs themselves. I don’t believe it’s just laziness, it’s a case of needs must. I’ve already said Sheffield’s price hike is excessive and they’ve taken a big risk there, a £3 increase is surprising although they were a pound cheaper than everyone else last year at £19. 

Edited by Steve Irving
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah totally understand not everyone can stump up the upfront free particularly during these troubled times when most of us are feeling the pinch. To be honest they’ve not really been worth it in the past as they leave you very little room for missing a meeting for whatever reason and you’re out of pocket. They’ve been poor value. But as I’ve said they were a little better this year so I picked one up for the first time ever. Being now transferable so if you couldn’t make it you could pass it to someone else to use was an added incentive. No idea why that took so long!

It was actually nice to have it all sorted for the year and not have to worry about finding the entrance money on the day. Walking straight in through the season ticket gate and skipping the queue was also nice. All will come down to value again for next year for me. If I’ll again gain a couple of free meetings then I’ll probably get another. 

Ipswich had the best value season ticket out of all of them. £205 for 12 meetings, meaning an entrance fee of £17 instead of the £20 for paying on the day. Just don’t be ill..

My final team as I suspect we have some rider announcements coming shortly:

1) Doyle 10.32

2) Gusts 4.00

3) Basso 6.81

4) King 6.40

5) Zagar 7.20

6) Hume 3.98

7) Rowe [RS]

Overall: 38.71

While this team is definitely exposed at reserve/number 2 I hope Gusts and Rowe will show improvement throughout the year so that come August/September we will have a great shot at the title. 

9 hours ago, Arthur73 said:

My final team as I suspect we have some rider announcements coming shortly:

1) Doyle 10.32

2) Gusts 4.00

3) Basso 6.81

4) King 6.40

5) Zagar 7.20

6) Hume 3.98

7) Rowe [RS]

Overall: 38.71

While this team is definitely exposed at reserve/number 2 I hope Gusts and Rowe will show improvement throughout the year so that come August/September we will have a great shot at the title. 

Basso is at Peterborough 

Keynan Rew may be an option as he's riding in the uk

Look at the demographic for the vast majority of speedway fans.... over 50

They are the ones with the extra money to spend so charging a couple of quid more won't really effect them.... its the rest of us that are effected. :wink:

Everything is going up, (Isn't a tesco meal deal for 2 inc wine still £10? ) but that means something has to give. The entrance fee is not the only thing to look at when attending, also got the price of travel. Then there's food and drinks. All these having an increase soon mount up so all of a sudden its a £5 increase, maybe more and a family of 4 will stop going. 

My boy and I went this year and it was £20 for the both of us at Ipswich as they don't charge for u16s. :t:

So not too bad, but itfc match today would be £13 for us both... so if people attend both,  easy to see which one they will drop if they have to. 

Any extras in life is about VFM... its not about whether something costs £20 or £100. Eg

Is spending over £20 to watch British speedway in its current form VFM.... imo no

Is spending £100 for 2 days away watching Polish speedway VFM... imo yes.

55 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Basso is at Peterborough 

Keynan Rew may be an option as he's riding in the uk

I haven't seen it confirmed yet but I did suspect it was likely Peterborough would keep  Basso. Maybe Ellis instead as Sheffield have done a fair amount of team building without announcing him.

I like Keynan Rew and he is an option however I feel like someone like  Francis Gusts is better for not only for Ipswich but for British Speedway, we're always gonna get Australian riders but attracting young European riders is how the riding talent in the league will grow. 

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I'm sure they would all ride here if the cheque was big enough

That’s a dangerous path to walk tho isn’t it, you’re saying £20 is your upper limit, being honest many people probably in the same boat, offer riders too much and don’t get the gate clubs fold. If they signed 7 world beaters and put it up to say £25 so many people wouldn’t go they’d crumble sadly.

one thing to be said for Louis he’s always run the club responsibly and not overreached financially in the bid for success, we’ve seen so many clubs fold I’d take 10 more years of near misses and consistent speedway than a year of success and closure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

If Rew has signed for Ipswich,, I think that's a good signing,,, but from what I've been reading,,, most fans want Hume

I’m all for Hume being back he was superb last imo, but only if it facilitates the saving in points actually being used in the top 5

id take Hume and Chris holder over king and rew for example

Doyle 10.32

King 6.40

Morris 6.48

Riss 6.00

Ellis 6.72

Hume 3.07 = 38.99

rising star 

fits nicely, could swap any of Ellis/king/Morris for batch and upgrade Hume to a 4 point newcomer, not sure if there’s value in that or not tho.

not sure who is the best rising star choice either really, possibly Jenkins or gilkes, Rowe has ability but he’d need to show about 10000% more commitment for British speedway to get another chance imo.

2 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Doyle 10.32

King 6.40

Morris 6.48

Riss 6.00

Ellis 6.72

Hume 3.07 = 38.99

rising star 

fits nicely, could swap any of Ellis/king/Morris for batch and upgrade Hume to a 4 point newcomer, not sure if there’s value in that or not tho.

not sure who is the best rising star choice either really, possibly Jenkins or gilkes, Rowe has ability but he’d need to show about 10000% more commitment for British speedway to get another chance imo.

Kemp surely? I’d have Kemp over Jenkins or Gilkes personally. Kemp was on the list last year but Wolves used him as their senior reserve. With a few now not on the list, Kemp will be one of the better ones IMO. He hasn’t kicked on as expected YET, but I still have faith. He’s a talented boy. 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, Baldyman said:

Think Hume is an awkward one,,,, definitely has the potential to be better,,, but like with a few riders,, not sure his style will allow it,,,, he is constantly on the edge of lifting  and throwing it on the fence,, due to his sitting further back on his seat positioning. If he could  change that I could see a decent improvement,,,, but without changing it,, I think his scoring potential is almost at its peak. He is a decent gater and has big plums,, but going faster than he does now without binning it is difficult

100% agree. I see no improvement in Humes unless he addresses the restrictive issues that come with his riding style...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Kemp surely? I’d have Kemp over Jenkins or Gilkes personally. Kemp was on the list last year but Wolves used him as their senior reserve. With a few now not on the list, Kemp will be one of the better ones IMO. He hasn’t kicked on as expected YET, but I still have faith. He’s a talented boy. 

If he can get his straight then yes kemp 100%, seems to put far too much pressure on himself to impress riding for his home club to his detriment, arguably even as an away rider he was doing the same last year, if he can get his head right he’s very talented on the bike but beats himself a lot still atm

4 hours ago, 89buttons said:

If he can get his straight then yes kemp 100%, seems to put far too much pressure on himself to impress riding for his home club to his detriment, arguably even as an away rider he was doing the same last year, if he can get his head right he’s very talented on the bike but beats himself a lot still atm

I think he needs to toughen up, not just a bit but alot in order to progress. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

I think he needs to toughen up, not just a bit but alot in order to progress. 

Yeah Kemp have some talent but as said not tough enough and seems to back off when things get tight, he's fine when he gates and gets out in front but doesn't often make any impression if he's missed the gate and at the back.

5 hours ago, Arthur73 said:

I haven't seen it confirmed yet but I did suspect it was likely Peterborough would keep  Basso. Maybe Ellis instead as Sheffield have done a fair amount of team building without announcing him.

I like Keynan Rew and he is an option however I feel like someone like  Francis Gusts is better for not only for Ipswich but for British Speedway, we're always gonna get Australian riders but attracting young European riders is how the riding talent in the league will grow. 

You wont get Francis Gusts. He has already signed up to clubs in Poland, Sweden and Denmark.