British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2023

9 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Personally I wouldn’t have King in there far to frustrating & goes missing when you need him in key heats

I agree but equally I just accept any team to put together he’ll be in it cos he’s never not going to be.

I’ve kind of made me peace with king letting us down too tbh, while it feels like he lets us down I’m not sure he does. he is what he is a solid middle order man, he’s never been a real top rider and he’s never going to be we hope and expect for him be better than he is, but you can’t have 5 no 1’s in a team tho can you, have to try build the best around Doyle and Emil if they both want to be back

Edited by 89buttons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I don't know why,, but most fans seem to think Danny as a 6 to 6.5 rider is consistently going to score like a 9 point rider. 

yep agree not realistic, and not really realistic to think he’s going to make another step up in his level now at middle thirties 20 years into a career

He doesn’t help himself with interviews like earlier in the season where he reckons he’s gonna be pushing Emil and Jason tho

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ald64 said:

Yes a lot up the air so a lot to look out for in the close season.Wish it could be different with more confidence going forward for British Speedway.

I'm told promoters have already met and discussed ( and agreed??) the league format for 2024.

35 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

yep agree not realistic, and not really realistic to think he’s going to make another step up in his level now at middle thirties 20 years into a career

He doesn’t help himself with interviews like earlier in the season where he reckons he’s gonna be pushing Emil and Jason tho

What would you expect him to say?

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I'm gonna try my hardest like I always have done,,, and if all goes well I am hoping to have a good season,, which will hopefully see my average improve slightly,, which will benefit the team. 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

It’s great to have guys if that calibre in the team, watching how they go about business inspires you to push yourself and be the best you can be to back them up.

something like that rather than “I’m going to push them for the no.1 jacket”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:47 AM, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Personally I wouldn’t have King in there far to frustrating & goes missing when you need him in key heats

Please not Danny King Again.......Yes it's been a failure this season and that could include a trophy in the Knockout Cup, but please don't put me througjh those winter months of knowing Danny King returns.

Time to freshen things up surely, including the end of a terrible reign as Manager in Ritchie Hawkins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, siggysigalos said:

Please not Danny King Again.......Yes it's been a failure this season and that could include a trophy in the Knockout Cup, but please don't put me througjh those winter months of knowing Danny King returns.

Time to freshen things up surely, including the end of a terrible reign as Manager in Ritchie Hawkins.

I don't get the negativity about Danny King. He's in the 1-7 as 3rd heat leader and pretty much scoring his average or above regularly?

So many posters complain about teams changing every year with no continuity, but here you have a local, established rider doing what he was brought in to do!!

Have a (rightful?) go at the management and team building!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I don't get the negativity about Danny King. He's in the 1-7 as 3rd heat leader and pretty much scoring his average or above regularly?

So many posters complain about teams changing every year with no continuity, but here you have a local, established rider doing what he was brought in to do!!

But the reality is different.  He loses to riders he shouldn't be losing to, especially at home and it always appears to be in those meetings where a few points more would secure a victory rather than a loss - no good getting a 15pt maximum if they win by 30 points only to score 4 the next week when they lose by 2.  It's not an averages thing at all but a consistency thing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

But the reality is different.  He loses to riders he shouldn't be losing to, especially at home and it always appears to be in those meetings where a few points more would secure a victory rather than a loss - no good getting a 15pt maximum if they win by 30 points only to score 4 the next week when they lose by 2.  It's not an averages thing at all but a consistency thing.

All riders lose to riders they shouldnt now and again, maybe your expectations are too high, he will have bad meetings but he is the third heatleader a tough position in the team.

50 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

And the number of times he rides the wrong lines especially at home on a track where he has spent so much of his career.

Also does have the habit of dropping vital points when the chips are down.

the number of times we have said before the tapes go up King will mess this up & doesn’t normally disappoint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

It’s a shame but King has become the fall guy for years of failure at Foxhall. He’s been a great servant and the failure to win anything as a team certainly hasn’t been his fault, but the groans on the terraces have grown louder the last couple of years so I think it’s best for all concerned if they both have a fresh break. Probably won’t happen though..

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Get the team selection right,, and as a 2 or 4 he will be fine

Yes, a bit like Steve Worrall at Wolves.

7 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Yet, as pointed out by several people, King himself made the (daft) claim that he could push Doyle & Sayfutdinov - while the alternative statements suggested by those people make much more sense.

Those who say "he's scoring his average" exercise the cognitive dissonance of accepting a contribution that clearly needs to be better for the team to be successful.

King's performances in the tough Heats 13 & 15 over recent seasons have been 5.0-6.0 average compared to his overall 6.5-7.0 average, which shows he can't raise his game when necessary.  It would be interesting to check his scores in Heat 12 this season.

23 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Yet, as pointed out by several people, King himself made the (daft) claim that he could push Doyle & Sayfutdinov - while the alternative statements suggested by those people make much more sense.

Those who say "he's scoring his average" exercise the cognitive dissonance of accepting a contribution that clearly needs to be better for the team to be successful.

King's performances in the tough Heats 13 & 15 over recent seasons have been 5.0-6.0 average compared to his overall 6.5-7.0 average, which shows he can't raise his game when necessary.  It would be interesting to check his scores in Heat 12 this season.

3, 0, 0, 1, 3, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 0, 1, 3

32 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

As third heat leader, one might question why he's in heats13 and 15??

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

As third heat leader, one might question why he's in heats13 and 15??

In previous yrs not this yr, King normally catches heats 10/12, and there the heats he goes missing from time to time and gets beat by riders he should be beating home and away.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Trouble is he crumbles under pressure. He has conceded 5x 5-1s at home this season.  Also for Redcar he never seems to perform in the big heats. 
also has a habit of racing his own teammates and can’t team ride or even look for his partner.  
Over the years he has been a tremendous asset to the club but the time has come to move on for both parties. 

• Like 3