British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2023

Sad state of affairs where the three teams in East Anglia who now have four or five world class riders worth watching are supported by riders Who in each case are average to poor. Perhaps the teams should pool the riders and have a squad system. It also looks as though none of the three will make the play offs. Perhaps they can have their own championship. The coverage on TV is poor and comes nowhere near that which is streamed from Poland. Anyone who has not tried it, watch one Sunday afternoon/evening to see how it can/should be done. Finally, where do the Witches go from here? Is a wholesale clear out required and get in some up and coming talent with a view to next season (assuming they have one at this level)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Sad state of affairs where the three teams in East Anglia who now have four or five world class riders worth watching are supported by riders Who in each case are average to poor. Perhaps the teams should pool the riders and have a squad system. It also looks as though none of the three will make the play offs. Perhaps they can have their own championship. The coverage on TV is poor and comes nowhere near that which is streamed from Poland. Anyone who has not tried it, watch one Sunday afternoon/evening to see how it can/should be done. Finally, where do the Witches go from here? Is a wholesale clear out required and get in some up and coming talent with a view to next season (assuming they have one at this level)

Louis wants to deliver a winning team and our sponsor it desparate for us to win something,,, so why waste time on this season when we could start building for next,,, and its not only next,, it's the ones after that as well,,, says thanks to a couple or few of em,,,and get ya cheque book out and pay some good money to get some of the best younger riders here. 

Unfortunately I think Ipswich needs to part ways with Riss, he shouldn't really be riding anyway as his vision is blurry and he could take more time off if it worsens.

Possible Replacements 

Batchelor (5.57) for Riss

S.Lambert (I think around 3.30) for Rew

This would put us at 38.77 average with the rolling GSAs

Replacing Riss on his own we'd have to replace him with a rider with 5.10 or lower

23 minutes ago, Arthur73 said:

Unfortunately I think Ipswich needs to part ways with Riss, he shouldn't really be riding anyway as his vision is blurry and he could take more time off if it worsens.

Possible Replacements 

Batchelor (5.57) for Riss

S.Lambert (I think around 3.30) for Rew

This would put us at 38.77 average with the rolling GSAs

Replacing Riss on his own we'd have to replace him with a rider with 5.10 or lower

The points limit doesn't matter if you're replacing a rider on an equal or lower average. Ipswich would have 6.14 available to replace Riss (if they wanted to)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Don't forget if you sign a couple of world class riders, their team mates are likely to be weaker than most other teams, that's how the points limit works. Unless you have the likes of Lidsey on an old average etc.

Edited by szkocjasid

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Don't forget if you sign a couple of world class riders, their team mates are likely to be weaker than most other teams, that's how the points limit works. Unless you have the likes of Lidsey on an old average etc.

You’re right up to a point, but Emil always looked cheap average wise on an 8.00, and he looks even cheaper now. And Hume had a 25% reduction in his average. You could argue we just haven’t capitalised on those averages and they’ve got the team building wrong between Doyle and Emil and Hume at 6. 

Haven’t had the best of luck to be fair, Jack Thomas at RS and a fit Riss would have made a difference for sure, but I’m still not convinced it would have been good enough. Many of us including me and I know Baldyman has been an advocate of this, have been crying out for the promotion to sign up talented young riders from the continent. Rew was one we all got on board with at the start but that just shows how risky these kind of signings can be. He’s shown the odd brief glimpse here and there, but let’s be honest he’s been a massive disappointment and big reason why we’ve struggled. Coming in on an assessed 5.00 and riding as a 3 and half pointer has been problematic and compounded the issues we’ve had with Riss and a terrible replacement choice at RS. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Or a rider such as King who reckoned he could up his game, but whose League form is a point lower than last year.

Edited by Roger Jacobs

10 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

... The coverage on TV is poor and comes nowhere near that which is streamed from Poland. Anyone who has not tried it, watch one Sunday afternoon/evening to see how it can/should be done. ...

The only bright spot on Eurosport is Nicholls, who is excellent.

Anyone who hasn't tried it, watch BSN - much better coverage than Eurosport has ever provided.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Anyone who hasn't tried it, watch BSN - much better coverage than Eurosport has ever provided.  

Much prefer their camera work - Scott is very good actually yes really grown into that kind of work

Edited by GeneralMelchett

I don’t like piling in when plenty of others are already at it but I’m finding Tatum almost impossible to listen to. He obviously doesn’t do it on purpose and he seems a decent fella, but the ums and ers grate badly. He’s always done it but never as bad as this when he was the co-commentator rather than the main man. 

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I don’t like piling in when plenty of others are already at it but I’m finding Tatum almost impossible to listen to. He obviously doesn’t do it on purpose and he seems a decent fella, but the ums and ers grate badly. He’s always done it but never as bad as this when he was the co-commentator rather than the main man. 

it really needs 2 in there to bounce off eachother - Nigel (a huge loss) was the main man too and its clear Tatum would probably be better going back to his role of the co-commentator. It seems odd just having him do it and he probably (still) feels a bit lost withouit Nigel. At least at the GPs he has Chris and there is 2 of them.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Sad I know but after a 100 umm ahh i stopped counting. After 20 years of doing the job he is awful. 
however Scott is absolutely brilliant 

41 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah it don't work without a side kick and he struggles on his own, and has the odd bit of brain fade now and then like last night when he called Jason Sedgmen Jason Lyons during a heat, he quickly corrected himself tho tbf 

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Haven’t had the best of luck to be fair, Jack Thomas at RS and a fit Riss would have made a difference for sure, but I’m still not convinced it would have been good enough.

I've read many commenting on Ipswich being unlucky losing Thomas, but there were rising stars just as strong as him available (Kemp, Rowe) but for whatever reason they chose to go elsewhere. That's when I'll no longer call it bad luck, but poor team building.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Happy to second that BSN is much better than Eurosport.

• Like 1