British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2023

43 minutes ago, Aries said:

Because he wasn’t the original choice as rising star. They’d already forked out for one for Thomas which was wasted and I suspect they half expected Joe wouldn’t be a permanent solution so can’t really blame them for not getting another set. I doubt Dan Thompson will get a suit either. 

Don't see how it was wasted....bit of white marker turns 'a' into 'p' and stick 'on' to the end. Thomas into Thompson is a pretty easy switch :D

Although maybe in the revolving door of speedeay these days the names should be velcro like the numbers.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't understand that, if all teams have to have race suits, how could Ipswich just not bother having one made up for Joe?

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Perhaps it was 'in the interests of speedway' :D But you're right of course, unless they've been looking to replace him for some time.

2 hours ago, Aries said:

Because he wasn’t the original choice as rising star. They’d already forked out for one for Thomas which was wasted and I suspect they half expected Joe wouldn’t be a permanent solution so can’t really blame them for not getting another set. I doubt Dan Thompson will get a suit either. 

The problem with race suits, is when one of the team doesn't wear one & stands out & looks really bad - wouldn't be noticeable of teams were race jackets. So if they have to have team suits - then you've gotta enforce that ruling imo

15 hours ago, siggysigalos said:

So let me get this right.........We bring in Dan Thompson, one of the only riders Joe Thompson has beat this season.

You seriously couldn't write this s***

I'm confused on Erik, is he not allowed to ride for us on Thursday at Sheffield coz of the 28 day thing, and do supporters think Erik will come back into the 7, or we keeping Barker.

Yes last night was a great evening's entertainment for a small crowd, and a much needed win, but i still standby my original statement in April, we need to change the skipper if we want to win or even make the Play Offs.

And make Jason Doyle Captain, but b4 you all shout at me, i don't know whose available to come in......Apart from Tungate, who even after last night id take all day right now.

Just my opinion........

Ok so maybe its a bit of a laugh - but one of them is averging 4.17 the other 1.85 - so perhaps not such a nonsensical decision after all

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

I wish they would actually change the averages so they are more reflective to understand,,, so he has 20 points from 24 rides,, divide the 20 by 24 and it gives points per ride 0.833

Removed quote as I didnt mean to quote it

Edited by Baldyman

13 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I wish they would actually change the averages so they are more reflective to understand,,, so he has 20 points from 24 rides,, divide the 20 by 24 and it gives points per ride 0.833

Removed quote as I didnt mean to quote it

thats his points per race - UK averages have always shown points per meeting - not sure which I prefer but its either 0.83 per race 3.33 per meeting or 4.17 if you include BP's - I always work in old money, as they say, so I would use 4.17 as his true average.

6 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Ok so maybe its a bit of a laugh - but one of them is averging 4.17 the other 1.85 - so perhaps not such a nonsensical decision after all

You’re right, Dan is definitely an improvement on Joe. Flint is only averaging slightly more on 4.33 and everyone said he was far and away the strongest RS in the league. Jenkins is doing particularly well, averaging over 5 so fair play to him. 

I just think there’s frustration there that although Dan Thompson is an improvement, there’s a few others who look stronger including our own asset who we’ve just waved off to our play off rivals. 

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You’re right, Dan is definitely an improvement on Joe. Flint is only averaging slightly more on 4.33 and everyone said he was far and away the strongest RS in the league. Jenkins is doing particularly well, averaging over 5 so fair play to him. 

I just think there’s frustration there that although Dan Thompson is an improvement, there’s a few others who look stronger including our own asset who we’ve just waved off to our play off rivals. 

you could well be right - by my reckoning Dan is the 3rd best RS out of the 7 currently riding so it is an improvement - and of course some were demanding change for changes sake so they have it! Its quite clear that neither Rowe (my preferred choice) or Kemp will be coming to Ipswich anytime soon so this is possibly about the best option right now.

1 minute ago, GeneralMelchett said:

you could well be right - by my reckoning Dan is the 3rd best RS out of the 7 currently riding so it is an improvement - and of course some were demanding change for changes sake so they have it! Its quite clear that neither Rowe (my preferred choice) or Kemp will be coming to Ipswich anytime soon so this is possibly about the best option right now.

Agree on Rowe and Kemp, but personally I’d have plumped for Conor Bailey next and then Dan after him. Maybe Bailey has been asked but thinks the Championship and NDL is enough for him at the moment who knows. 

I do think the RS system should be shelved  next year though. I understand the reasons for bringing it in to help the youngsters along, but I’m not convinced it adds anything positive to a meeting. Poor old Joe lined up on Monday in one heat against Musielak, King and Kerr and was obviously miles behind. Against Leicester he lined up against Emil, Harris and Sedgmen etc etc. he’s nowhere near that standard and neither are the majority of the others so it can’t be good for morale and confidence when you’re finishing half a lap behind the others. Fans don’t want to see that either. Needs binning. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

thats his points per race - UK averages have always shown points per meeting - not sure which I prefer but its either 0.83 per race 3.33 per meeting or 4.17 if you include BP's - I always work in old money, as they say, so I would use 4.17 as his true average.

But is it his true average,,, as I can't see where he has scored 4 or more anywhere 

Adding bonus points counts for nothing towards a teams points,,, so to me should never be included,,, so points per race is the most accurate way,, as he may not always have the same amount of races per meeting

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Agree on Rowe and Kemp, but personally I’d have plumped for Conor Bailey next and then Dan after him. Maybe Bailey has been asked but thinks the Championship and NDL is enough for him at the moment who knows. 

I do think the RS system should be shelved  next year though. I understand the reasons for bringing it in to help the youngsters along, but I’m not convinced it adds anything positive to a meeting. Poor old Joe lined up on Monday in one heat against Musielak, King and Kerr and was obviously miles behind. Against Leicester he lined up against Emil, Harris and Sedgmen etc etc. he’s nowhere near that standard and neither are the majority of the others so it can’t be good for morale and confidence when you’re finishing half a lap behind the others. Fans don’t want to see that either. Needs binning. 

yes this is why I have sometimes said look at whom riders are up against before criticising their scoring - poor old Danyon was having 6-7 rides a meeting of late often covering in races with Doyle or Emil the visiting no1 so unless he pulled a blinder out (which to be fair he did do a couple of times) the best he could hope for was 3rd place.

Ideally the RS would only be riding against fellow reserves or 2nd strings and not GP riders.

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

But is it his true average,,, as I can't see where he has scored 4 or more anywhere 

Adding bonus points counts for nothing towards a teams points,,, so to me should never be included,,, so points per race is the most accurate way,, as he may not always have the same amount of races per meeting

it is yes - I just go for the other one as thats how CMAs were calculated in the 80s when i started going. it was a simpler time!

So you can average 4 even though you have never scored 4 

I shall try that at work,,, I've averaged 40 hours a week this year boss,,,, no you haven't,, you haven't done a full week once,,,,,, but I added some bonus hours boss....... I'm pretty sure I know what he will say to that 

Edited by Baldyman

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So you can average 4 even though you have never scored 4

yes because if you score 3 from 3 rides thats 1pt per ride which if you use 4 as your base no of rides for calculating the average would mean its 4!

6 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So once,,,, so normally or almost always scores under 4,,,

I just think points per race is the most accurate way

well I suppose but presume that is why they used without BPs it for team building or did! I have no idea what they use now as the average in the programme never seems to correspond to owt!

They do use it in Poland

4 hours ago, Baldyman said:

So once,,,, so normally or almost always scores under 4,,,

I just think points per race is the most accurate way

Not sure it is. Hypothetical I know but say rider x scores 8 points each meeting but in every race he's second to his partner. At the season end his average is 8 or 2 per race, even though he's not been beaten by any opponent. For me that illustrates why I agree with the general. In his way, the average is 12, much better in my view. 

Edited by SPEEDY69