British Speedway Forum

Peter Collins Book

Argos

3 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

That's what he says, but that is disputed by others who say they have the letters that show that to be false. In the thread I linked even Phillip Rising said he had seen the list and it was stretching it - and Phillip said he was a friend of Peter's and was carefully choosing his words. In the end we all have to choose which story, based on the info available, we believe is most credible

In any event, isn't it the case now that the current owners do let ex riders in free with the only requirement that they contact Mark lemon in advance to say they are coming? Given that the seats are numbered that doesn't seem unreasonable 

That's fair comment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

It would be interesting and maybe conclusive if the PC list/letters could be published or posted on hear which would see who’s telling the truth or not once and for all.

It's pretty obvious who is telling the truth.

On one side we've got a man on his own, claiming in his book (which contains many other errors and "misrememberings") that he didn't write the letters demanding free passes for 100 of his friends.   Then on the other side we've got a number of promoters who received the letters, and many more who have seen the letters.  These include the late Phil Rising, a fairly impartial journalist and self-confessed Collins fan.

Then we've got the vitriolic scrawled message to a dying man who had only tried to help sort out the situation of the 100  free passes.  Why would you be so nasty if you hadn't even demanded the 100 passes in the first place?

Sorry, but you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to solve this one.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

More to the point, in this day and age where EVERYTHING is expected to be available to the public (often through social media), I don't need to SEE things as proof. I know who and what to believe, as I'm not one of these crazy conspiracy theorists who refuses to believe fact and reality...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chunky said:

More to the point, in this day and age where EVERYTHING is expected to be available to the public (often through social media), I don't need to SEE things as proof. I know who and what to believe, as I'm not one of these crazy conspiracy theorists who refuses to believe fact and reality...

And I thought that Mystic Meg was no longer with us!!

I hope that you never appear on a Jury in the English Legal System.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

It's pretty obvious who is telling the truth.

On one side we've got a man on his own, claiming in his book (which contains many other errors and "misrememberings") that he didn't write the letters demanding free passes for 100 of his friends.   Then on the other side we've got a number of promoters who received the letters, and many more who have seen the letters.  These include the late Phil Rising, a fairly impartial journalist and self-confessed Collins fan.

Then we've got the vitriolic scrawled message to a dying man who had only tried to help sort out the situation of the 100  free passes.  Why would you be so nasty if you hadn't even demanded the 100 passes in the first place?

...athough his nemisis Professor Moriarty may have something to say about that!

This really has been done to death now. 

The Steve Casey thing i have to agree with most and say it was was wrong. 

Surely all involved need to get together and sort this out for the good of PC's reputation and Belle Vue's and Speedway as a whole.

You takes your pick who is right and wrong, maybe both are a bit of both. 

PC regardless is without doubt a Speedway and Belle Vue Legend, nothing will change that.

Belle Vue conversely are and always have been a terrific Speedway club.

Edited by Goldhawk
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

PC signing at Stafford Classic Bike Show

PETER COLLINS will be on the Retro Speedway stand signing copies of his fast-selling, much-acclaimed autobiography at the Stafford Classic Bike Show next weekend.

PC will be there on both Saturday/Sunday, April 22/23.

The full address of the venue is:
Staffordshire County Showground
Weston Rd
Stafford
Staffordshire
ST18 0BD

For full event details and how to get there, please visit their site at www.staffscountyshowground.co.uk

It’s a good opportunity for Midlands-based supporters. PC regularly attends this twice-yearly event and says it’s an oasis for motorbike enthusiasts. So if you can make it, please do come and say ‘hello’ to PC, Susie and Tony Mac and get your book for just £20. As well as signing your book, Peter will also be very happy to pose for selfies.

Keeping It On The Tyres has sold rapidly and we expect it to sell out completely before long, so don’t miss out.

You can still order a signed copy from us. To take advantage of our offer of a £5 saving on the RRP of £25 in the UK, go to www.retro-speedway.com or phone Susie on 01708 734 502.

Peter will sign ‘Best Wishes’ in every copy ordered through Retro Speedway, which is another great reason to buy it for £20 directly from us instead of online giants Amazon and retailers Waterstones.

Thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyMac said:

PC signing at Stafford Classic Bike Show

PETER COLLINS will be on the Retro Speedway stand signing copies of his fast-selling, much-acclaimed autobiography at the Stafford Classic Bike Show next weekend.

PC will be there on both Saturday/Sunday, April 22/23.

The full address of the venue is:
Staffordshire County Showground
Weston Rd
Stafford
Staffordshire
ST18 0BD

For full event details and how to get there, please visit their site at www.staffscountyshowground.co.uk

It’s a good opportunity for Midlands-based supporters. PC regularly attends this twice-yearly event and says it’s an oasis for motorbike enthusiasts. So if you can make it, please do come and say ‘hello’ to PC, Susie and Tony Mac and get your book for just £20. As well as signing your book, Peter will also be very happy to pose for selfies.

Keeping It On The Tyres has sold rapidly and we expect it to sell out completely before long, so don’t miss out.

You can still order a signed copy from us. To take advantage of our offer of a £5 saving on the RRP of £25 in the UK, go to www.retro-speedway.com or phone Susie on 01708 734 502.

Peter will sign ‘Best Wishes’ in every copy ordered through Retro Speedway, which is another great reason to buy it for £20 directly from us instead of online giants Amazon and retailers Waterstones.

Thank you.

It's a magnificent book Tony, well done to all who helped with it's creation. 

Whatever people's views on PC and recent fall outs, it's still a great read and insight into 70s / 80s speedway.

Thank you!

• Like 5

On 3/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Goldhawk said:

This really has been done to death now. 

The Steve Casey thing i have to agree with most and say it was was wrong. 

Surely all involved need to get together and sort this out for the good of PC's reputation and Belle Vue's and Speedway as a whole.

You takes your pick who is right and wrong, maybe both are a bit of both. 

PC regardless is without doubt a Speedway and Belle Vue Legend, nothing will change that.

Belle Vue conversely are and always have been a terrific Speedway club.

The words “good” and “PC’s reputation” don’t really lie well (!!!) together

3 hours ago, nw42 said:

But you couldn't be arsed to comment on the book, instead you leave a snide comment about the man, nice.

Ah, the book.  I think it’s all been said.  Nicely produced, as usual from Tony, with interesting insight into PCs early life and the pre-Belle Vue days.  One or two contradictions, one early on with dates and one about Kenny Carter dropping out or being dropped.  Nevertheless, well presented.  
Overshadowed by the feud, and one wonders whether the feud was in any way the reason for the book.  Content from this thread seems to cast serious doubts on PCs version of events, which I’m afraid leaves a bit of a sour taste at the end of the day.  
If you take my comment as snide, sobeit, but he clearly hasn’t done his reputation any good at all, which others have also suggested.

• 1 month later...

Finished the book today. A bit 'wordy' at the beginning but soon settled down into a 'good read'.

A fine overview of speedway in the 70's and 80's besides Peter Collins personal story.

For those who cannot afford numerous books on speedway etc, this book goes along way towards telling 'what you need to know' about speedway from the 70's to the present day.

• Like 4

Hi guys Barry ayres here lol think I’m being picked on a bit aha pc is a legend I’m gona get his Book 

let me clarify a few things - I didn’t make it some of you are saying !- I agree a bit but what is the general thing about not making it ? - not being world champion is that what not making is ?  I made a decision to quit in 1986 after a bad injury arm and broken shoulder wrist elbow while riding for Belle vue at Sheffield, also in 1984 I broke several vertabrea in my back I had my share with injury but made a recovery ti ride in British British junior league in 1985 and had one of the highest avges in that league riding away in 1985 we visited Oxford Cowley 3 times I had 9 races and was unbeaten their in the 9 races infact my only regret was to not sighn for oxford as Simon wigg the very same day I sighned for Bellevue aces was on the telephone to Stuart bamforth wanting me to sighn for Oxford but by that time I had sighned for Bellevue the very same day - stuart bamforth did not tell me this - naturaly I was not exactly happy but decided just to go along with it anyway I’m sure some of the old timers may even remember this as stuart bamforth announced it at the signing day at Hyde rd but yes it is my biggest regret in speedway  - Belle vue first meeting away at Wolverhampton in 1986 I had a good meeting I think I scored 7 plus point infact I beat Sam ermolenko thst night also - after thst meeting yes I had my moments but I did find the going tough the team spirit thst year at belle vue was not great either just the way it was - I myself made the decision to quit as I knew I either wanted to be very good or not bother I had offers in 1987 from some second div clubs but decided it was not for me my decision no one else’s ,,I’ve made another succesfull career now as a gas engineer / powerflushing company — you guys need to understand that speedway is a very tough sport as riders we do make sacrifices because we love the sport but this sport can also tear you apart and demoralise you you got to be tough mentally it’s not easy - in 2019 I started to ride again yes as an old man and I won the British veteran championship at lydd in Kent it was fun yes how it shoud be - and yes why not let ex riders in for free not matter how they did I probably go twice a year now to belle vue it’s not like I’m gona go every week anyway their more to life than speedway - But we still did put our knecks on the line for this club and the fans we are not going to bankrupt it are we ! But until you put your backside on a speedway bike hammer down the straight at Bellevue Hyde rd 70 mph and put it in the corner please don’t say to us we did not make it just because we were not the pc,s of the world if we rode for Belle vue or any other team for that matter despite the politics as far as I’m concerned and this is all ability’s even the guys practicing on a Monday night at belle vue Hyde rd on that concrete slick track who never even made a team place - we made it 

thank you 

Barry ayres -

Belle vues number 6 1986 

British laydown vets champion 2019 

taking it easy 2023 but you never know . 

Edited by Bayres
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Bayres said:

Hi guys Barry ayres here lol think I’m being picked on a bit aha pc is a legend I’m gona get his Book 

let me clarify a few things - I didn’t make it some of you are saying !- I agree a bit but what is the general thing about not making it ? - not being world champion is that what not making is ?  I made a decision to quit in 1986 after a bad injury arm and broken shoulder wrist elbow while riding for Belle vue at Sheffield, also in 1984 I broke several vertabrea in my back I had my share with injury but made a recovery ti ride in British British junior league in 1985 and had one of the highest avges in that league riding away in 1985 we visited Oxford Cowley 3 times I had 9 races and was unbeaten their in the 9 races infact my only regret was to not sighn for oxford as Simon wigg the very same day I sighned for Bellevue aces was on the telephone to Stuart bamforth wanting me to sighn for Oxford but by that time I had sighned for Bellevue the very same day - stuart bamforth did not tell me this - naturaly I was not exactly happy but decided just to go along with it anyway I’m sure some of the old timers may even remember this as stuart bamforth announced it at the signing day at Hyde rd but yes it is my biggest regret in speedway  - Belle vue first meeting away at Wolverhampton in 1986 I had a good meeting I think I scored 7 plus point infact I beat Sam ermolenko thst night also - after thst meeting yes I had my moments but I did find the going tough the team spirit thst year at belle vue was not great either just the way it was - I myself made the decision to quit as I knew I either wanted to be very good or not bother I had offers in 1987 from some second div clubs but decided it was not for me my decision no one else’s ,,I’ve made another succesfull career now as a gas engineer / powerflushing company — you guys need to understand that speedway is a very tough sport as riders we do make sacrifices because we love the sport but this sport can also tear you apart and demoralise you you got to be tough mentally it’s not easy - in 2019 I started to ride again yes as an old man and I won the British veteran championship at lydd in Kent it was fun yes how it shoud be - and yes why not let ex riders in for free not matter how they did I probably go twice a year now to belle vue it’s not like I’m gona go every week anyway their more to life than speedway - But we still did put our knecks on the line for this club and the fans we are not going to bankrupt it are we ! But until you put your backside on a speedway bike hammer down the straight at Bellevue Hyde rd 70 mph and put it in the corner please don’t say to us we did not make it just because we were not the pc,s of the world if we rode for Belle vue or any other team for that matter despite the politics as far as I’m concerned and this is all ability’s even the guys practicing on a Monday night at belle vue Hyde rd on that concrete slick track who never even made a team place - we made it 

thank you 

Barry ayres -

Belle vues number 6 1986 

British laydown vets champion 2019 

taking it easy 2023 but you never know . 

Barry, there are too many armchair speedway world champions on the BSF. Don't worry what they say. I remember your career, and your name has already gone down in the sport's and, indeed, Belle Vue's history, no matter how many points you scored. I look up to all you guys... in fact, more than the high rankers.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1