British Speedway Forum

Peter Collins Book

Argos

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Assuming Radio Oxford are still in operation, I hope they are giving the same support for the new venture! 

We also enjoyed a local TV station who showed home meetings plus the occasionally away but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called? Don't think that it exists anymore? There was also the local commercial Radio Station FoxFM (think they sponsored the Junior Team?) which gave service to the speedway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

We also enjoyed a local TV station who showed home meetings plus the occasionally away but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called? Don't think that it exists anymore? There was also the local commercial Radio Station FoxFM (think they sponsored the Junior Team?) which gave service to the speedway.

Maybe a Midlands or West news station?

32 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Maybe a Midlands or West news station?

They were based on the Woodstock Road in Oxford and was very local in its content...I knew some of the presenters (both speedway and otherwise). I have some DVDs of the meetings that they covered.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

They were based on the Woodstock Road in Oxford and was very local in its content...I knew some of the presenters (both speedway and otherwise). I have some DVDs of the meetings that they covered.

I think it was known purely as the "Oxford Channel"?

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 10:26 PM, steve roberts said:

...recall one time Weymouth promoter Mervyn Stewkesbury driving round Weymouth with placards advertising the meeting due to take place that evening. I even remember seeing posters around Oxford/Eastbourne advertising the speedway...had one on my bedroom wall for years! Apparently Len Silver used to post adverts all around the Hackney area? I personally used to take friends/work colleagues to meetings in the hope that it would ignite a spark.

I can confirm that Posters for Hackney Speedway and rider shown with "TRAXCITEMENT MAKE IT A DATE FRIDAY AT 8 !! " WERE EVERYWHERE !!!

Len Silver = Master Promoter - "GO HACKNEY !!" was another slogan used.

The man was Hackney Speedway with a passion through and through and lived and breathed the club - He just has to be honoured for his service to Speedway.

The Hackney fans loved his excuberance and showmanship and banter, worth the admission alone, with incredible racing and a  race track prepared by Len unsurpassed 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 1:25 AM, Ray Stadia said:

Maybe a cable channel? :unsure:

The Oxford Channel was a free-to-air terrestrial channel, later rebranded SixTV.

It was an analogue channel though, so went the way of the Dodo after the digital switchover. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Oxford Channel was a free-to-air terrestrial channel, later rebranded SixTV.

It was an analogue channel though, so went the way of the Dodo after the digital switchover. 

...which opened the doors to so many bland channels and in the area that I now live a sometimes questionable reception with the picture breaking up!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...which opened the doors to so many bland channels and in the area that I now live a sometimes questionable reception with the picture breaking up!

Digital television is great until it isn't.

Bruce Springsteen of course sang '57 channels and nothing on' over 30 years ago and I'm sure at the time having that number of channels was almost incomprehensible to those of us living in the UK . But it turned to be an under-estimation as there's now hundreds of channels of crap...

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, Gordon Pairman said:

I’m sure you are aware of what happened at last night’s signing in Glossop and have taken steps to ensure that the affected supporter has been compensated

I have kept quiet on this for a very long time in the hope that there would at least be an acknowledgement of the wrong that occurred that night. 
For those that want more, please see my comments on the thread entitled Steve Casey RIP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I have kept quiet on this for a very long time in the hope that there would at least be an acknowledgement of the wrong that occurred that night. 
For those that want more, please see my comments on the thread entitled Steve Casey RIP

Many thanks for putting the record straight.

4 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Firstly to say that we at Retro Speedway are naturally sincerely saddened by the news of Steve's death. In my experience he was a very amiable, decent bloke. He was clearly devoted to Belle Vue, had a keen sense of Aces' history, and was a natural enthusiast for speedway as a whole.

With respect, Gordon, and I fully appreciate you are feeling very sad and upset right now, the acknowledgement you hoped for WAS addressed by Retro Speedway - PRIVATELY - with Steve direct. An online forum is not the best way to handle such personal matters. I believe Steve thought so too.

Possibly unknown to you, Susie and I both communicated personally with Steve, separately, over the book signing matter. Understanding the possible upset caused, we offered to try and resolve things to his satisfaction. He appreciated our sympathetic words.

As you rightly point out on the other thread, Steve did read the book and said he enjoyed it. In fact, on Nov 23 he sent me an unsolicited text saying: "Hiya Tony...just finished the PC book and really enjoyed it...was a great read with some fabulous memories and insights (accompanied by four 'thumbs up' emojis)." I obviously thanked him for his kind comments.

Earlier this month, he phoned me to say how grateful he was to unexpectedly receive our new DVD, Defunct British Speedway Tracks 2, which we sent him as a goodwill gesture, to hopefully lift his spirits after another spell in hospital, and because he actually features on it in the BV Kirky Kane segment.

I hope this serves as the public 'acknowledgement' you expected and that those reading these posts gather a true picture of Retro Speedway's part.

RIP, Steve.

Edited by TonyMac
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TonyMac said:

Firstly to say that we at Retro Speedway are naturally sincerely saddened by the news of Steve's death. In my experience he was a very amiable, decent bloke. He was clearly devoted to Belle Vue, had a keen sense of Aces' history, and was a natural enthusiast for speedway as a whole.

With respect, Gordon, and I fully appreciate you are feeling very sad and upset right now, the acknowledgement you hoped for WAS addressed by Retro Speedway - PRIVATELY - with Steve direct. An online forum is not the best way to handle such personal matters. I believe Steve thought so too.

Possibly unknown to you, Susie and I both communicated personally with Steve, separately, over the book signing matter. Understanding the possible upset caused, we offered to try and resolve things to his satisfaction. He appreciated our sympathetic words.

As you rightly point out on the other thread, Steve did read the book and said he enjoyed it. In fact, on Nov 23 he sent me an unsolicited text saying: "Hiya Tony...just finished the PC book and really enjoyed it...was a great read with some fabulous memories and insights (accompanied by four 'thumbs up' emojis). I obviously thanked him for his kind comments.

Earlier this month, he phoned me to say how grateful he was to unexpectedly receive our new DVD, Defunct British Speedway Tracks 2, which we sent him as a goodwill gesture, to hopefully lift his spirits after another spell in hospital, and because he actually features on it in the BV Kirky Kane segment.

I hope this serves as the public 'acknowledgement' you expected and that those reading these posts gather a true picture of Retro Speedway's part.

RIP, Steve.

Well Done Tony...

RIP Steve, Belle Vue will be a much poorer place for his passing...

Condolences to his family and friends...

30 minutes ago, TonyMac said:

As you rightly point out on the other thread, Steve did read the book and said he enjoyed it. In fact, on Nov 23 he sent me an unsolicited text saying: "Hiya Tony...just finished the PC book and really enjoyed it...was a great read with some fabulous memories and insights (accompanied by four 'thumbs up' emojis). I obviously thanked him for his kind comments.

RIP, Steve.

Thanks Tony. And I appreciated then and am happy now to acknowledge your gestures. You were, of course, as much an innocent party to what happened as was Steve but I did and do believe that what happened needed to be made public. The one man who should have apologised has remained silent.

As I have said elsewhere, PC’s behaviour was unforgivable and I am not alone being shocked and disgusted by it. I know he’s got a huge chip on his shoulder about the NSS, but you don’t take your bile out on one of the guys who has worked flat out to achieve a reconciliation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gordon Pairman said:

Thanks Tony. And I appreciated then and am happy now to acknowledge your gestures. You were, of course, as much an innocent party to what happened as was Steve but I did and do believe that what happened needed to be made public. The one man who should have apologised has remained silent.

As I have said elsewhere, PC’s behaviour was unforgivable and I am not alone being shocked and disgusted by it. I know he’s got a huge chip on his shoulder about the NSS, but you don’t take your bile out on one of the guys who has worked flat out to achieve a reconciliation. 

Very disappointed regarding PC’s behaviour ,stooping very low writing such a thing  and more so considering the man’s health condition.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gordon Pairman said:

I’m astonished, what PC did was disgraceful and he has gone from hero to zero. 

• Like 3