British Speedway Forum

Peter Collins Book

Argos

7 hours ago, arnieg said:

Odd pricing structure. What happens between 8am and 9.30 to justify the extra £3?

It's primarily a motorcycle Auto Jumbo so by gaining early admission you get first dibs on what being offered.  You may see a few people with Speedway or Grasstrack connections Max Richards & Julian Wigg are regulars. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in or near Manchester, then you might be interested to know that PC is returning to the Longsight & District Sports & Social Club this Friday (Dec 9) for an 'Evening with Peter Collins' Q&A that I'll be conducting with him.

It's also another ideal opportunity to buy his acclaimed new autobiography for £20 (a fiver off the RRP) and get it signed by the sporting legend. You may also like to take a selfie incorporating his 1976 world title-winning bike, leathers and body colour.

Doors open at 7.30pm, with the main event starting at 8.00.

As well as selling the book, Susie will also be there with a number of Retro Speedway's selected DVDs.

The full address is:
Longsight & District Sports & Social Club
140 Kirkmanshulme Lane (next to the NSS)
Manchester
M12 4WP

Admission: £10.00 (inc buffet).

You can pre-order a ticket via PayPal from Lesleyrourke33@hotmail.com or pay at the door on the night.

Hope to see you there . . . 

9 hours ago, TonyMac said:

If you live in or near Manchester, then you might be interested to know that PC is returning to the Longsight & District Sports & Social Club this Friday (Dec 9) for an 'Evening with Peter Collins' Q&A that I'll be conducting with him.

It's also another ideal opportunity to buy his acclaimed new autobiography for £20 (a fiver off the RRP) and get it signed by the sporting legend. You may also like to take a selfie incorporating his 1976 world title-winning bike, leathers and body colour.

Doors open at 7.30pm, with the main event starting at 8.00.

As well as selling the book, Susie will also be there with a number of Retro Speedway's selected DVDs.

The full address is:
Longsight & District Sports & Social Club
140 Kirkmanshulme Lane (next to the NSS)
Manchester
M12 4WP

Admission: £10.00 (inc buffet).

You can pre-order a ticket via PayPal from Lesleyrourke33@hotmail.com or pay at the door on the night.

Hope to see you there . . . 

Good, I’ll be there but why not have this at NSS? 

19 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Good, I’ll be there but why not have this at NSS? 

What does it matter? PC has no personal affinity with the NSS and no-one from Belle Vue's management has made contact with him or us as his publisher to express any interest in hosting such an event. It's not as if it could be held to coincide with a speedway meeting either.

Besides, the Longsight social club - who did approach us and are keen to make use of their facilities - is festooned with Aces memorabilia, proudly celebrating Belle Vue's history.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TonyMac said:

What does it matter? PC has no personal affinity with the NSS and no-one from Belle Vue's management has made contact with him or us as his publisher to express any interest in hosting such an event. It's not as if it could be held to coincide with a speedway meeting either.

Besides, the Longsight social club - who did approach us and are keen to make use of their facilities - is festooned with Aces memorabilia, proudly celebrating Belle Vue's history.

Fair point Tony. Still a bit odd attitude by BV manger as PC is a BV Ace? But its better to go were you are welcome. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Fair point Tony. Still a bit odd attitude by BV manger as PC is a BV Ace? But its better to go were you are welcome. 

When you read the book you’ll understand why… 

Personal view, both sides need to grow a pair but PC comes out sounding very bitter at the end of the book (which is a shame as the rest is great). Whilst I don’t agree with BVs current position it’s their business to run how they feel.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TINYS said:

Started reading PC;s book today but can only do an hour at the most as it;s so heavy. Good for building up the arm muscles though.:D

...only a few days to go before I open my Xmas stocking and settle down and have a read of it!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...only a few days to go before I open my Xmas stocking and settle down and have a read of it!

I almost envy you, I went cover to cover in just a few days and thoroughly enjoyed the book, I'd advise any of your family not to attempt meaningful conversation until the new year, depending on your reading speed of course.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nw42 said:

I almost envy you, I went cover to cover in just a few days and thoroughly enjoyed the book, I'd advise any of your family not to attempt meaningful conversation until the new year, depending on your reading speed of course.

Me too, over a few days.  Like all such books crammed with detail, but told in an interesting way, ( it's just like PC is dictating it to you ) I will be reading it again over the holidays....

• Like 1

I am about two thirds through the 500 plus pages. It is an extremely well put together history of PC’s career, starting from a very young age, very young. 
Having lived and brought up in the same small village of Partington, sort of 10 miles south west of Manchester, I find his detail of life at that time very interesting. The passing away of Bill Collins, Peters dad, at such a young age, and of his mechanic George Clarke, again so young, was very touching. Two nice guys.   
Earlier in this thread I commented the first chapter I read was Mechanics (as I valued my mechanics when I was doing club level grass tracking). Another interesting chapter was the one about music he listened to whilst travelling to meetings. 60,000 travel miles a year… there is only so much small chat you can cover with your mechanic/driver. He met some amazing artists during his travels. I too was/am a fan of the Hollies and ELO, to get to meet them would be amazing. Peter did, I am jealous..
I still have a third of the book to read, one day it may be a single chapter, another day 2 maybe 3 chapters. I am sure the remaining chapters will divulge a lot more insight into Peters highly successful career.  

Big surprise for me was chapter 6, paragraph 3.

Well done to Peter, TonyMac and Sue, plus all the others, and there will be many, who put together this record of Peters career…….arguably Englands most successful speedway rider (he is in my mind anyway).

I have read Chris Morton’s “Until the can runs dry”, a very good read. I want to read Dave Morton’s book. I always thought Dave was going to be a very top rider but maybe his serious accident curtailed his progress to that very top level. And I still waiting for a book that will cover what really went on behind the scenes leading to Belle Vues new stadium and the first 12 months of its management. Just curious.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I am about two thirds through the 500 plus pages. It is an extremely well put together history of PC’s career, starting from a very young age, very young. 
Having lived and brought up in the same small village of Partington, sort of 10 miles south west of Manchester, I find his detail of life at that time very interesting. The passing away of Bill Collins, Peters dad, at such a young age, and of his mechanic George Clarke, again so young, was very touching. Two nice guys.   
Earlier in this thread I commented the first chapter I read was Mechanics (as I valued my mechanics when I was doing club level grass tracking). Another interesting chapter was the one about music he listened to whilst travelling to meetings. 60,000 travel miles a year… there is only so much small chat you can cover with your mechanic/driver. He met some amazing artists during his travels. I too was/am a fan of the Hollies and ELO, to get to meet them would be amazing. Peter did, I am jealous..
I still have a third of the book to read, one day it may be a single chapter, another day 2 maybe 3 chapters. I am sure the remaining chapters will divulge a lot more insight into Peters highly successful career.  

Well done to Peter, TonyMac and Sue, plus all the others, and there will be many, who put together this record of Peters career…….arguably Englands most successful speedway rider (he is in my mind anyway).

I have read Chris Morton’s “Until the can runs dry”, a very good read. I want to read Dave Morton’s book. I always thought Dave was going to be a very top rider but maybe his serious accident curtailed his progress to that very top level. And I still waiting for a book that will cover what really went on behind the scenes leading to Belle Vues new stadium and the first 12 months of its management. Just curious.

...Certainly wetting my appetite!

On 12/21/2022 at 5:19 AM, OveFundinFan said:

And I still waiting for a book that will cover what really went on behind the scenes leading to Belle Vues new stadium and the first 12 months of its management. Just curious.

PC's account of that turbulent period is laid bare in later chapters.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyMac said:

PC's account of that turbulent period is laid bare in later chapters.

In truth, PC has no knowledge of that. He wasn’t part of the consortium and, despite his recollection, his views on the NSS were never sought nor offered. My understanding is that his only involvement has been his well documented reaction to being refused life time passes for nearly 200 friends, helpers and employees, very few of whom had ever had anything to with Belle Vue. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 5:19 AM, OveFundinFan said:

Was at an Ivan Mauger talk-in and when asked about the Mortons brothers he said "there was no difference (in ability) between Dave & Chris Morton, until Dave got injured", think it was from when Dave broke his thigh; at Hackney in 1976 ?....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1