British Speedway Forum

Poole Vs Glasgow 28/09/22 play off SF 1st leg

9 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

You haven't been at Ashfield and been royally entertained by Benjamin Basso each week.

Richard hasn't ridden for Glasgow since 2017 and is now southern based so wasn't going to ride for the club, all they were going to get were loan fees.

Basso signing for Bydgoszcz in 2023 might mean he will not be back at Glasgow next season but Premiership club will still want him so Glasgow could get loan fees for years and years.

I thought Peterborough own Basso now? 

14 hours ago, foreverblue said:

The track was excellent last night and produced good racing and lots of passing, the trouble some have is that we were doing all the passing! Even Ablitt pulled off a great pass and defended it well.

Always a few comments about Poole track being a gate and go with no passing but watched " Elite " league play off last night and almost no passing pretty much gate and go.As for Poole's demolition of Glasgow you have to say the Ford's always build good teams yes we've been lucky with no injuries but when it matters the team deliver.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Essex said:

Always a few comments about Poole track being a gate and go with no passing but watched " Elite " league play off last night and almost no passing pretty much gate and go.As for Poole's demolition of Glasgow you have to say the Ford's always build good teams yes we've been lucky with no injuries but when it matters the team deliver.

More often than not they always get it right and you have too give them credit for that.

• Like 4

I've got more chance of copping off with Jennifer Lawrence than Glasgow have of pulling back this tie from 30 points down but why are some Tigers so different away from home as they are away (such as Connor Bailey and Benjamin Basso) there's a huge drop off with their performances on other tracks. I was expecting Ben at least to put up some good numbers at Poole last night as he was racing around Wimborne Road last season but he looked average compared to how he looks around Ashfield. You simply cannot build winning teams around riders who don't turn up to away meetings. 

19 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I've got more chance of copping off with Jennifer Lawrence than Glasgow have of pulling back this tie from 30 points down but why are some Tigers so different away from home as they are away (such as Connor Bailey and Benjamin Basso) there's a huge drop off with their performances on other tracks. I was expecting Ben at least to put up some good numbers at Poole last night as he was racing around Wimborne Road last season but he looked average compared to how he looks around Ashfield. You simply cannot build winning teams around riders who don't turn up to away meetings. 

You have to remember he was only at Poole for half a season though. 

41 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Can’t agree about Basso’s away performance. Hasn’t been THAT bad in the CL meetings he competed in…..11+2 (5)  9+2 (4)  6+2 (4)  8 (5)  5+3 (4)  5+1 (4)  9 (5) 

39 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Can’t agree about Basso’s away performance. Hasn’t been THAT bad in the CL meetings he competed in…..11+2 (5)  9+2 (4)  6+2 (4)  8 (5)  5+3 (4)  5+1 (4)  9 (5) 

That’s decent like you say,you have to remember he wasn’t aHeat Leader at the start of the season (don’t think so,maybe wrong).Now No1.

39 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

That’s decent like you say,you have to remember he wasn’t aHeat Leader at the start of the season (don’t think so,maybe wrong).Now No1.

Think he was second string as still on his assessed 5 point average. 

Edited by lisa-colette

3 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

I never said he was 'THAT bad' just average at many away tracks and certainly didn't look like a No. 1 although he's a very good rider, he's young so his best days are ahead of him and he's very entertaining. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nickinho said:

I never said he was 'THAT bad' just average at many away tracks and certainly didn't look like a No. 1 although he's a very good rider, he's young so his best days are ahead of him and he's very entertaining. 

Imo Basso is only at number 1, because he's been riding in a second string position all year (till Wednesday) even when he was going better than Brennan & Ostergaard, riding order was never changed!

If he was given a shot at number 5, two things could have happened - got used to harder races (heat 13) to prepare him for the number 1 spot - or dropped more points leaving Cook at number 1.

I don't know why most team managers refuse to make changes to the riding order throughout the year based on who's on form?

Edited by szkocjasid

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Imo Basso is only at number 1, because he's been riding in a second string position all year (till Wednesday) even when he was going better than Brennan & Ostergaard, riding order was never changed!

If he was given a shot at number 5, two things could have happened - got used to harder races (heat 13) to prepare him for the number 1 spot - or dropped more points leaving Cook at number 1.

I don't know why most team managers refuse to make changes to the riding order throughout the year based on who's on form?

My guess is they wanted to keep Brennan at 5 to try to maximise his improvement. Personally, I think 5 has been a stretch for him and riding at 3 would’ve been better once Basso’s average went up. I do think having Tom at 5 and Ulle at 3 was a good move though.

• Like 1