British Speedway Forum

Sheffield Tigers 2023

2 hours ago, Trophyman said:

The playoffs are purely for the tv. League champions should be decided on the full league program and the playoffs should be a separate end of season competition. That way the best team would win the league.

The play offs are for the clubs as well and if the league title wasn't on the line less fans would turn up. It is a money spinner and will remain because the clubs can't afford it not to stay.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Trophyman said:

The playoffs are purely for the tv. League champions should be decided on the full league program and the playoffs should be a separate end of season competition. That way the best team would win the league.

If the playoffs weren’t to win the league there would be no point in them

Ive never been a fan of the play offs but i understand the reasoning behind them, yes the semis and final bring in good crowds for 4 teams but throughout the season are they counter productive when you look at the sparse crowds, it seems people are staying away from league matches as they are nothing but a series of qualifying rounds and come out in force for the play offs, so what promoters are gaining on the swings they are losing on the roundabouts, or does the revenue from play offs cover the shocking crowds throughout the league campaign and that would only benefit four teams.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:36 PM, bellevueace said:

Max might not have been up in the GP rankings with Lambert but Roberts BL average was under and without a doubt Max was well capable of going through the card at home and at least equalling Roberts score around Owlerton, we also going back through the years have fallen fould of certain rules that have benefitted other clubs Its not just a wolves thing.

Just how many maximums did he score in 2022?

On 2/20/2023 at 4:17 PM, szkocjasid said:

The funny thing is, fans spent all season moaning about certain teams using guests & not signing a replacement only to complain when Belle Vue do the exact opposite!

I can understand fans moaning about signing the world number 5 only for the play offs, way worse than RR and guests!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Just how many maximums did he score in 2022?

I can understand fans moaning about signing the world number 5 only for the play offs, way worse than RR and guests!

There is NOTHING worse in speedway than borrowing a rider from another team in the same league, other than injuries of course. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

There is NOTHING worse in speedway than borrowing a rider from another team in the same league, other than injuries of course. 

And there is nothing worse allowing one team to sign a rider just for the play offs whilst denying another team the same.

16 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

And there is nothing worse allowing one team to sign a rider just for the play offs whilst denying another team the same.

OK, well agree to disagree otherwise we'll go round in circles that my sanity can't cope with. But hopefully going forward season ending injuries will continue to be allowed new signings to cover them.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

OK, well agree to disagree otherwise we'll go round in circles that my sanity can't cope with. But hopefully going forward season ending injuries will continue to be allowed new signings to cover them.

That all teams can use fairly. Until someone brings in a ringer of course. We know some promoters will try.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, bellevueace said:

Ive never been a fan of the play offs but i understand the reasoning behind them, yes the semis and final bring in good crowds for 4 teams but throughout the season are they counter productive when you look at the sparse crowds, it seems people are staying away from league matches as they are nothing but a series of qualifying rounds and come out in force for the play offs, so what promoters are gaining on the swings they are losing on the roundabouts, or does the revenue from play offs cover the shocking crowds throughout the league campaign and that would only benefit four teams.

Scrapping the playoffs wouldn’t improve crowds for all league meetings, maybe the key ones at the end though so no change really.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:52 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Scrapping the playoffs wouldn’t improve crowds for all league meetings, maybe the key ones at the end though so no change really.

Exactly, the sport needs the play offs to survive. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:24 AM, stevebrum said:

The Regulations were different in previous seasons.  Sheffield took advantage of the same regulation used by BV to make a signing that they otherwise couldn't have made - that definitely improved their team.  Perhaps if they hadn't set a precedent, then BV might not have been able to make their change?

Also, no-one can ever predict how well a new rider will perform (or how poorly an existing excellent rider will perform), so there's no argument there either.

Get over it.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:40 PM, stevebrum said:

Exactly, the sport needs the play offs to survive. 

False economy - and a self-made smokescreen for the main problem ...

The sport needs corporate sponsorship to survive.

The play-offs have become the extra survival option simply because the sport is heavily reliant upon the cash flow generated by paying customers.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:52 PM, Call me wolfie said:

There's both pros & cons for the play-offs. Not a fan of them myself. But I'd be interested to see what the crowd was for Sheffield vs Ipswich on Oct 24th, what would have been a league title decider, basically turned into a challenge match!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The Regulations were different in previous seasons.  Sheffield took advantage of the same regulation used by BV to make a signing that they otherwise couldn't have made - that definitely improved their team.  Perhaps if they hadn't set a precedent, then BV might not have been able to make their change?

Also, no-one can ever predict how well a new rider will perform (or how poorly an existing excellent rider will perform), so there's no argument there either.

Get over it.

The world number 5 was always going to score more than Max, I’m well over it. 
it still stinks. 

• Haha 1