British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2023

noaksey

So sorry for Wolves fans and the sport in general. A league with potentially five teams just won't happen.

At least there will be no doubling up as there won't be enough teams soon to double up with!

Sad to say Greyhound racing does not have to rely on paying spectators visiting their tracks, in actual fact that probably loses them money, since Covid they have all survived by just streaming their race meetings into the bookies which generates far more income at considerably less cost than maintaining and running a Stadium 3/4,s empty, and all the expense that entails, however I fail to see how staging Speedway meetings impacts on that revenue, unless it's the fact that buildings have to be maintained and staff employed for those speedway meetings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

So some spotty Herbert with a wankey job title can do away with nearly a hundred years of history. Shouldn't be allowed to happen.

The sport really messed up in its heyday in the 70s and 80s by not purchasing or building its own stadiums. Promoters were happy filling a trunk full of cash and putting nothing back into the sport.

A "Transformation and Experience" director? WTF? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sad to see this happening but as an ex Greyhound trainer/owner I'm not at all surprised seeing how that Sport has evolved since covid, I would have thought the first place to call would be Wolverhampton racecourse see if they want the additional income that Speedway would bring.

49 minutes ago, Littleze said:

Obviously it’s not good to lose clubs, for a whole host of reasons, that being said, I see it as a positive. 

Clubs can now build their own tracks & stadia, purpose built, modern facilities etc.. if they can find land/get planning permission.

Why they would want to do that for anything between 1k - 3k fans and clubs folding around them, plus doubts over others too is beyond me, but maybe then they would treat the paying public with more respect and present a more professional show and experience and address the many credibility issues. Then, maybe the sport could progress over time.. if not it’s like everything else, if the product is poor or there is little interest, it shuts, 

that’s life & business.

I agree that clubs need to think long term now. Actually like Workington and Leicester building a track in a place that is almost untouchable for housing . Problem is starting everything and guaranteeing profit for the future. I fear clubs in cities are going to be faded out and clubs that are in low populated areas that will survive...just . Half the problem is not enough fans at the gate along with clubs having a lack of control with the stadium and its use..

12 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Sad to see this happening but as an ex Greyhound trainer/owner I'm not at all surprised seeing how that Sport has evolved since covid, I would have thought the first place to call would be Wolverhampton racecourse see if they want the additional income that Speedway would bring.

That all-weather track would come in useful!

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

That all-weather track would come in useful!

Wolverhampton race track has Housing that surrounds it. 

Better chance may be old Chasewater site or old Norton Canes dog track site but they may be developed now too. 

Edited by HGould
Spelling

18 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

The owners of the racecourse are ARC, who are the other company involved with Entain (owners of Monmore Green,) in this Premier Greyhound Racing "project".

Edited by salty
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, salty said:

The owners of the racecourse are ARC, who are the other company involved with Entain (owners of Monmore Green,) in this Premier Greyhound Racing "project".

So where does that leave the Brummies yet another ARC racetrack ?, are we going to see Speedway wiped out in the West Midlands.

Edited by heathen52

32 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Molineux was mooted years ago before Sir Jack started the redevelopment of the stadium,but decided against it because he feared the supporters would be to far away from the action with a running/speedway track around the perimeter of the pitch.To late now, with the positioning of the new North Bank constructed in the Steve Morgan era.

This is terrible news for everybody
involved in any shape or form at Wolverhampton.
It's terrible news for speedway altogether, especially as Peterborough are going too.
It's been pretty obvious that speedway as we know it, is dying a death, but you expect that to happen when the promoters pull the plug, and for them to have the rug pulled from under them. You obviously can't run a Premiership league with 5-teams.
Everybody has a turn at slagging off promoters etc; throughout the season, but my heart goes out to all of them, trying to come up with a workable solution to this bombshell.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

So where does that leave the Brummies yet another ARC racetrack ?, are we going to see Speedway wiped out in the West Midlands.

ARC are just interested in having a product to put on the screens in the betting shops each day. I think they are tenants at Perry Barr, not owners? 

18 minutes ago, salty said:

ARC are just interested in having a product to put on the screens in the betting shops each day. I think they are tenants at Perry Barr, not owners? 

Yes Jim they are tenants, but if the ARC end game is showing products to the shops (which it is) then surely they can do the same with the Brummie Promotion, I know for a fact a previous tenant at Perry Barr (Maurice Buckland) never wanted nor allowed Speedway at PB.

Edited by heathen52

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

That's ARC / entain as well

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

As greyhound racing has apparently 'evolved since covid' maybe that message could be filtered down to Gaming International at Poole so that they could reintroduce it as part of their lease agreement  with the Council who own Poole  Stadium?

2 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I agree that clubs need to think long term now. Actually like Workington and Leicester building a track in a place that is almost untouchable for housing . Problem is starting everything and guaranteeing profit for the future. I fear clubs in cities are going to be faded out and clubs that are in low populated areas that will survive...just . Half the problem is not enough fans at the gate along with clubs having a lack of control with the stadium and its use..

The reduction of fans is the Sport’s/Promoters fault. For a sport/race  that is over in a minute/15 of racing… they sure make it complicated.

let’s be honest, you need to put a dirt track in a muddy field…. No one is looking to build a *Wembley..  I know access is needed & hoops to jump through… but still.

If you can’t make a noisy, dirty, fast, dangerous, colourful Sport a relative success, then I’d say there is little hope. I mean Darts for gods sake!!

Plus, until they sort the covering of tracks, who in their right mind will travel long or even short distances to attend when it is at the mercy of the weather and riders.

2 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

I think the only viable way for speedway to continue in the midlands is a joint venture with a purpose built Speedway stadium which could be shared by Wolves, Birmingham and Cradley. I very much doubt any of us can afford to go it alone.

This should have been done ages ago, in all regions of the country. 

59 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As greyhound racing has apparently 'evolved since covid' maybe that message could be filtered down to Gaming International at Poole so that they could reintroduce it as part of their lease agreement  with the Council who own Poole  Stadium?

It's hard to escape the feeling that the current arrangements at Poole might not hold together for much longer. Hopefully if push comes to shove then the local authority will try and protect the Pirates but I'm not holding my breath in today's climate