British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2023

noaksey

Good to see all the boys in action today.

Masters had one good race but was quite rightly preoccupied. Had a good 6 laps on an old Weslake and seemed to love it.

Schlein started on fire and did ok on his return

Becker had a good couple of races and made the semis.

Douglas had a good couple of scraps but still not totally comfortable with Monmore

Worrall took 3 good wins and just missed out on the final.

Cook and Flint had a couple of rides each without really troubling the scorers. Cook had one great gate to lead briefly in one heat..

Great to see Fast Freddie back at Monmore. If only he could be tempted back. Thorssell was very impressive as well.

Nicholls was great value and quick. If there is an option to bring him in for Cook it has to be done.

Doyle was the best rider on show.

20 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Cook and Flint had a couple of rides each without really troubling the scorers. Cook had one great gate to lead briefly in one heat..

Nicholls was great value and quick. If there is an option to bring him in for Cook it has to be done.

Would be tough on Cook dropping him this early, regardless Nicholls average is too high anyway!

21 hours ago, stevebrum said:

He's literally done 12 laps of Monmore, as track reserve in a testimonial..  Nicholls is not riding Premiership this year so it's a non starter anyway, but blimey.
After the meeting Rory Schlein and Steve Worrall spent a good half hour on track with Zach Cook showing him the way round, so I'd give him another match yet, maybe 2.. :blink:

14 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

He's literally done 12 laps of Monmore, as track reserve in a testimonial..  Nicholls is not riding Premiership this year so it's a non starter anyway, but blimey.
After the meeting Rory Schlein and Steve Worrall spent a good half hour on track with Zach Cook showing him the way round, so I'd give him another match yet, maybe 2.. :blink:

Uve got to give him a chance...

Gonna have to give Zach at least a month imo. Wolves must be the hardest track in the league to have as your first home track! Though Zach has ridden for Plymouth so had some experience on smaller tracks. 

But hey, Pickering seems to struggle at Wolves and I thought anyone who rode for Edinburgh would be good at Wolves? Shape must be different. 

27 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

Yeah both Ben and Zach seem to absorb info really well, so sure he will be fine. He must like a challenge though. Wolves as first home Prem track is as tough as you can get. 

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Would be tough on Cook dropping him this early, regardless Nicholls average is too high anyway!

35 minutes ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

True ....may be later if cook doesn't perform

Can't see Wolves' averages dropping enough to let that happen, unless he has a disastrous time, expect Cook to be in the team for the season!

22 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Good to see all the boys in action today.

Masters had one good race but was quite rightly preoccupied. Had a good 6 laps on an old Weslake and seemed to love it.

Schlein started on fire and did ok on his return

Becker had a good couple of races and made the semis.

Douglas had a good couple of scraps but still not totally comfortable with Monmore

Worrall took 3 good wins and just missed out on the final.

Great to see Fast Freddie back at Monmore. If only he could be tempted back. Thorssell was very impressive as well.

Doyle was the best rider on show.

What struck me was how Jacob didn’t look any quicker than Leon when he used his bike for the semi. Is it his bike or the set up, either way it needs addressing if Leon is to kick on this year.

1 hour ago, IanBrannan said:

FWIW, Cook impressed me. Neat, tidy, confident and on the pace. I know it was a testimonial meeting, and so lacking the intensity of a league match, but that was a strong field with competitive action. We've all seen riders completely at sea early in their Monmore acquaintance, and this year's pre-season practice was rained off too. I thought he did well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I don’t mean drop him now! Obviously Nicholls average is too high for that to happen but at high 4 he must be considered if it’s possible.

Nothing can be done till the averages change and if Wolves overall averages drop enough for it to be a possibility.

5 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

Obviously I meant if it’s possible once averages change and Nicholls average would fit.

It’s no slight on Cook, just an observation.  Nicholls isn’t starting in the Premiership, doesn’t mean he won’t be later in the year.

Personally I think he is trying to make himself more available for his TV commitments and you can’t blame him either.

4 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

What struck me was how Jacob didn’t look any quicker than Leon when he used his bike for the semi. Is it his bike or the set up, either way it needs addressing if Leon is to kick on this year.

Leon has always had good equipment but like you say he needs to put that to good use this season by cutting out silly mistakes if he is to really crack on this season.  Jury is still out for me.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:51 PM, stevebrum said:

I don’t mean drop him now! Obviously Nicholls average is too high for that to happen but at high 4 he must be considered if it’s possible.

Nothing can be done till the averages change and if Wolves overall averages drop enough for it to be a possibility.

Obviously I meant if it’s possible once averages change and Nicholls average would fit.

It’s no slight on Cook, just an observation.  Nicholls isn’t starting in the Premiership, doesn’t mean he won’t be later in the year.

Personally I think he is trying to make himself more available for his TV commitments and you can’t blame him either.

Leon has always had good equipment but like you say he needs to put that to good use this season by cutting out silly mistakes if he is to really crack on this season.  Jury is still out for me.

A must win for Wolves tomorrow  night ...L Becker at no 5 ....

Nicholls is nearly 2 points lower so it’s a weakening on paper. Thankfully he has started the season on fire and should be great value at MG, I just worry about him away from the Green.

Id have still gone with guests away from home but I guess with other clubs racing we might not get the rider we would prefer.