British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2023

noaksey

1 minute ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

What I was told last night, a site looked at was between Wolves and Cannock.   Wouldn't say i54 is between those to points tbh. ..Featherstone,Cheslyn Hay,Shareshill.???

Depends how you look at it. When driving to Cannock, I always go up the A449 to Gailey then the A5 so you could argue it fits the description perfectly.

19 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

That would be nice, but I doubt if has enough funds to invest in something with very little chance of a reasonable return. Money down the drain, which I think can be verfied by most current promoters ! As a vanity project that would be great.

He has plans for a little more than just a Speedway track though. Did you see the aerial shots of the GP at Malilla? Right next door is the motocross track. I think that’s where he got the idea from. 

11 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:
15 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

What I was told last night, a site looked at was between Wolves and Cannock.   Wouldn't say i54 is between those to points tbh. ..Featherstone,Cheslyn Hay,Shareshill.???

Depends how you look at it. When driving to Cannock, I always go up the A449 to Gailey then the A5 so you could argue it fits the description perfectly.

Which ever way you look at it,to make it anywhere near viable financially, it would need to be a multi-sports arena.      Speedway alone would take years to get back any kind of return on the outlay .

1 minute ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Which ever way you look at it,to make it anywhere near viable financially, it would need to be a multi-sports arena.      Speedway alone would take years to get back any kind of return on the outlay .

Agreed, 1 day a week summer only revenue is never going to work.

2 hours ago, Beowulf said:

This is very difficult. Out that way the connection with Wolverhampton is diluted. On the other hand, better that than nothing ?  For me, personally, this would be a massive change,  I have only lived in 2 houses, both within walking distance of Monmore Green.

Yep big changes a foot but as long as they get a new track that secures the future that's all that matters.  Belle Vue have had 3 stadiums in my lifetime, and they have all been a stone's throw from each other. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Yep big changes a foot but as long as they get a new track that secures the future that's all that matters.  Belle Vue have had 3 stadiums in my lifetime, and they have all been a stone's throw from each other. 

Then you have been very lucky indeed.:)

10 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Then you have been very lucky indeed.:)

They have - also its worth noting that the promotion that put the NSS in place ran out of money! There was a lengthly interview in the star a while back with Chris and was it Gordon Pairman?

All the newer tracks that have survived have done so by building a track first and then a stadium / Facilities has to follow after!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

They have - also its worth noting that the promotion that put the NSS in place ran out of money! There was a lengthly interview in the star a while back with Chris and was it Gordon Pairman?

All the newer tracks that have survived have done so by building a track first and then a stadium / Facilities has to follow after!

And I believe  Leicester had a lot of help from the council in getting theirs up and running. Unfortunately don't think Wolverhampton council has the same drive and determination in helping us out in the same way.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

2 hours ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

And I believe  Leicester had a lot of help from the council in getting theirs up and running. Unfortunately don't think Wolverhampton council has the same drive and determination in helping us out in the same way.

Probably bettter than Dudley council though, who have let all professional sport in the borough die through inaction.

7 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Probably bettter than Dudley council though, who have let all professional sport in the borough die through inaction.

Two peas from the same pod.Perhaps that's why we might be looking at South Staffs.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

2 hours ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

I'd expect Wolves Council to be very supportive but if that would extend to financial contributions in this climate I'd be very surprised. As someone else mentioned a couple of the sites rumoured aren may not be in  Wolverhampton BC anyway 

Wouldn’t knock the council in terms of supporting sport in Wolverhampton. They were instrumental in saving Molineux when the Bhatti brothers were planning other ideas.

I also heard that a site was being looked at in South Staffs, closer to the M6. But there were problems with that venue being too close to a motorway junction.

The owners of Monmore Green, Entain, are in a joint venture with ARC who own a number of horse racing venues including Dunstall Park in Wolverhampton. Plans are now emerging to build a greyhound track at Dunstall Park which would almost certainly lead to the Monmore Green site being redeveloped for housing.

Whatever help Wolverhampton council give to Wolves Speedway will be better than what Cradley have received from Dudley Council, we can't even get a reply to emails sent to various Councillors with regards possible new locations, it almost seems that we have been placed on ignore hoping that we will go away.

28 minutes ago, DJWolves said:

The owners of Monmore Green, Entain, are in a joint venture with ARC who own a number of horse racing venues including Dunstall Park in Wolverhampton. Plans are now emerging to build a greyhound track at Dunstall Park which would almost certainly lead to the Monmore Green site being redeveloped for housing.

And also the end to speedway in Brum.   Plans submitted to build 600 houses on the Perry Bar site.

2 hours ago, DJWolves said:

So if Entain leave Monmore,the council should serve notice that the ground that the stadium is build on should remain for sport purposes only,the same that was done with Molineux when Wolves nearly went into liquidation following the disastrous tenure of the Bhatti brothers and then by the Dougan consortium.

Totally agree Tommy. Sadly this company will be banking on the profits from selling to a housing company and we will be into the same kind of long winded battle that Coventry are in. But if the council took over ownership of the site, then maybe they could lease it out to a speedway promoter, if the price was right