British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2023

noaksey

59 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Understand, but hasn't the SCB now downgraded Luke to 75% of that figure? B)

Irrelevant. For example a 8.40 rider can replace an 8.00 rider at home but he still, and always has, assumes the replaced riders average.

75% merely refers to the quality of the guest that can be used.

So if Sedgmen were to be injured in his second ride Wolves could use Douglas and St Worrall as IRR for the last two programmed rides.

Whoops, have I found another loophole?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Interesting article in the (excellent again), Speedway Star with the KL co promoter saying that with 7 teams there isnt enough riders..

What nonsense.. 

I would have said what a load of bollox! There's British riders sat on the sidelines without clubs to ride for... and that is a scandal!

You only have to browse through some of the names competing in the Polish U24 league and it makes for very interesting viewing, the young Aussies seem to be giving Britain a swerve these days and a lot of the European talent are electing to ride in it instead of our lower leagues, or the upper one for that matter

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Irrelevant. For example a 8.40 rider can replace an 8.00 rider at home but he still, and always has, assumes the replaced riders average.

75% merely refers to the quality of the guest that can be used.

So if Sedgmen were to be injured in his second ride Wolves could use Douglas and St Worrall as IRR for the last two programmed rides.

Whoops, have I found another loophole?

I presume  Wolves can still use S.Nicholls on a 5.28 ave as a guest..

Why wait till after the 28 days then moan? The situation hasn’t changed from the second Luke got injured till now.

A short term injury replacement could have been signed (and I seem to remember Nicholls being announced as such before this was reversed)

1 hour ago, gmuncie said:

Why wait till after the 28 days then moan? The situation hasn’t changed from the second Luke got injured till now.

A short term injury replacement could have been signed (and I seem to remember Nicholls being announced as such before this was reversed)

Yes, Wolves announced Nicholls then apparently he was injured and was going to miss the Belle Vue matches so it was reversed 

18 hours ago, gmuncie said:

Why not spot an error in the rules pre-season & bring it up at the AGM? When a team points out a rule they don't agree with, only now when it doesn't suit them, just looks like sour grapes!

It's the same as Neil Middleditch complaining in the Speedway Star about a heat 15 exclusion for Steve Worrall, I think he made comments about all fours being better for the fans etc. If that's true why not bring it up pre-season rather than when Poole have a rider excluded?

Edited by szkocjasid

On 5/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, Panthers99 said:

I think they've got the ruling right. I don't mind guests, but do feel it should be harder to strengthen up & any rule like this which encourages a replacement (temporary or otherwise) has to be commended 

On 5/8/2023 at 4:02 PM, szkocjasid said:

I think they've got the ruling right. I don't mind guests, but do feel it should be harder to strengthen up & any rule like this which encourages a replacement (temporary or otherwise) has to be commended 

Even when it’s a rider who has ridden in your previous 77 meetings without missing one!!!! Hmmmm, I could understand it if it’s a rider you’ve just signed but it’s a little harsh, it’s all about timing timing, if he had completed one bend of one heat for us we would be okay! Is it our fault he was injured elsewhere?

Edited by Call me wolfie
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:56 PM, szkocjasid said:

Why not spot an error in the rules pre-season & bring it up at the AGM? When a team points out a rule they don't agree with, only now when it doesn't suit them, just looks like sour grapes!

It's the same as Neil Middleditch complaining in the Speedway Star about a heat 15 exclusion for Steve Worrall, I think he made comments about all fours being better for the fans etc. If that's true why not bring it up pre-season rather than when Poole have a rider excluded?

I didn't think TM's went to the AGM. So if he wanted a rule changed he would have to bring it up with Dan or Matt Ford first?

21 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I didn't think TM's went to the AGM. So if he wanted a rule changed he would have to bring it up with Dan or Matt Ford first?

My point was the timing of Middleditch's comments, there hasn't been a "first bend bunching" rule for as long as I can remember (if ever) but he brings it up after Poole lose a last heat decider.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 4:02 PM, szkocjasid said:

30 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Even when it’s a rider who has ridden in your previous 77 meetings without missing one!!!! Hmmmm, I could understand it if it’s a rider you’ve just signed but it’s a little harsh, it’s all about timing timing, if he had completed one bend of one heat for us we would be okay! Is it our fault he was injured elsewhere?

The rules aren't great, i'm sure clubs don't want to encourage a rider to turn up & slide off carefully to get a facility.

Where's the cut-off going to be for riders injured pre-season? Becker - ridden a full season without missing a match vs Kennedy - in Scunthorpe's 2022 side till injury vs Wright & signed as a new rider for Birmingham.

I can imagine there would be an outcry if there was different facilities given for 3 riders who hadn't ridden yet this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

My point was the timing of Middleditch's comments, there hasn't been a "first bend bunching" rule for as long as I can remember (if ever) but he brings it up after Poole lose a last heat decider.

You said he should bring it up pre season but even if he did, he's not at the AGM so I fail to see what difference it makes!

On 5/8/2023 at 3:56 PM, szkocjasid said:

Why not just run the sport properly?

A rider missing? Then (shock, horror), you sign someone else...

Or run with (a fit for purpose), rider replacement facility, if you say "no one is available"..

Speedway in the UK seems to like fo make up a myriad of supplementary nonsense rules and regs for every eventuality...

And all needed because the initial rule or reg isnt crystal clear...

Let's be honest, in this situation, they are hardly looking for a World Beater level rider are they? 

In fact, his level probably has the largest number of, (currently unattached in the UK), possible replacements globally...

So bring one of them many possible replacements in...

Or run with RR...

So much self inflicted nonsense is allowed to go on, which has resulted in tens of thousands of fans, who still follow the sport, stop going...

Maybe Phil Morris can help them to help themselves.. 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

I am wondering what happens next. The BSPL ruling implies that Becker is no longer a Wolves rider but, as a concession, they have allowed them a guest facility at 75% of his CMA. Therefore, when he recovers from injury and ready to ride, Wolves will have to re-declare and sign him as a new rider. He retains his original average so, if he cannot be fitted in with the points limit, they will have to make further team changes in order that he may be accommodated.

Edited by tocha
unnecessary repetition

4 hours ago, tocha said:

I am wondering what happens next. The BSPL ruling implies that Becker is no longer a Wolves rider but, as a concession, they have allowed them a guest facility at 75% of his CMA. Therefore, when he recovers from injury and ready to ride, Wolves will have to re-declare and sign him as a new rider. He retains his original average so, if he cannot be fitted in with the points limit, they will have to make further team changes in order that he may be accommodated.

You've got it all confused.

The ruling doesn't say "Becker is no longer a Wolves rider".   He still is a Wolves ride, still in their 1-7.

All that has changed is that Wolves are no longer allowed a facility for him.  (for 28 days they had a facility that allowed them to use R/R or a guest up to Becker's average).

They now have no facility for any meeting Becker misses, and must follow the "no facility" rule.

Becker is still in the 1-7, and can ride any time he's able.

Edited by RoundTheBoards