British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Flappy

13 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

Could someone summarise what happened today please? Was it a good result?

To summarise:-

It's like Trump vs Harris

Israel vs Iran

Russia vs Ukraine 

Both sides think they got the win, in reality, nobody knows 👍🏻

1 hour ago, JoeW436 said:

Could someone summarise what happened today please? Was it a good result?

Livestream is on the councils YouTube. They didn’t start the part two (ground inc the speedway area) until half five-ish. 
The plan for 850 homes was approved with conditions mainly concerning highways. 
The second plan included the speedway area, for a further 650 homes. That was refused. 
have to be honest that while I was watching, I did think it was going the other way by what certain councillors were saying. The Chair though was big time against it. He mentioned how he remembered going to the shows and speedway as both child and adult and how they’ve been basically destroyed. (Can’t remember the words he used, but that’s what he meant) He also said that he’s seen so many people in Peterborough say how there’s nothing to do - his pointing out that the showground is a venue where lots was always going on. 
They also said that the further 650 homes made this plot too big and They’d rather the homes be split across the wider city than all in one place. 
The final vote went 4 for and 6 against. 

Edited by DoubleJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IainB said:

You can't help but think that the best long term solution would be for the local plan to be adhered to and the developers to relocate the Panthers to a protected blank canvas site where there would be no environmental concerns. Everybody gets what they want that way

That’s entirely my way of thinking, thanks for that.The council are going to be dilly dallying about, and the speedway won’t be back for several years if that. Let’s move on as you’ve said above.

Edited by Youhave2minutes

3 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Buster Chapman not being prepared to negotiate is the big issue here. 

Where is he? Why does he want panthers to close? 

Why hasn't he sold up or handed it over? 

Yes he has the licence, he needs to relinquish it to the governing bodies where the new consortium can move on from there. It’s wrong for him to drag his feet leaving everyone in limbo. I stand to never go to Kings Lynn speedway and put money in his pocket because of his unreasonable behaviour.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Buster Chapman not being prepared to negotiate is the big issue here. 

Where is he? Why does he want panthers to close? 

Why hasn't he sold up or handed it over? 

I'm sure that Buster was well impressed by Butterfield throwing him under the bus in a very public meeting. Not the smartest move by Butterfield & Chapman may indeed break cover now and really do something positive for Peterborough and speedway generally?

• Like 1

Just now, Crump99 said:

I'm sure that Buster was well impressed by Butterfield throwing him under the bus in a very public meeting. Not the smartest move by Butterfield & Chapman may indeed break cover now and really do something positive for Peterborough and speedway generally?

What did he say about Chapman?

During the meeting, I am almost certain that I heard it said very firmly that the Peterborough Speedway licence is now in the hands of the Speedway Board of Control and that Buster had semi-retired and was no longer involved with the speedway team.

If that is indeed the case, today could a big step  forward with the plans refused and the ownership moving into new positive hands.

It is quite possible that Peterborough Speedway Company  Ltd might still technically still be owned and registered in Companies House to the the Chapmans, but it must be up to the SCB who actualy is legitimately allowed to race under the Peterborough banner - or am I wrong with that, Mick?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

What did he say about Chapman?

Basically (don't quote me) he said that Chapman had praised AEPG for what they had done for Peterborough Speedway while presiding over an amicable ending. Butterfield was questioned about negotiating with the consortium but said that he could only legally deal with the owner who showed no interest in saving Peterborough Speedway. When Butterfield was asked whether, during his tenure, Buster had spoken to him at any time about an alternative location for the Panthers he said that he hadn't, despite being aware of the development threat.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Seen him in action about 4 times now. Nasty piece of work. Who votes for that clown?

Have a look here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-68440708

6 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Basically (don't quote me) he said that Chapman had praised AEPG for what they had done for Peterborough Speedway while presiding over an amicable ending. Butterfield was questioned about negotiating with the consortium but said that he could only legally deal with the owner who showed no interest in saving Peterborough Speedway. When Butterfield was asked whether, during his tenure, Buster had spoken to him at any time about an alternative location for the Panthers he said that he hadn't, despite being aware of the development threat.

Thanks, but that's not throwing Buster under the bus though. That's all well known hence why Michael Tomalin was involved wasn't it? He was looking for land & buying the registration off Buster. Is he still around & in this fight?

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Thanks, but that's not throwing Buster under the bus though. That's all well known hence why Michael Tomalin was involved wasn't it? He was looking for land & buying the registration off Buster. Is he still around & in this fight?

I think it made it abundantly clear, from the horses mouth, that Chapman made no attempt to change the situation or negotiate a solution. So when Chapman said that nothing could be done he didn't know that,  because, according to Butterfield,  he made no attempt to see if anything could be done

10 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Its what people think but never been laid out as such and certainly not in such a public forum. Don't think that it's ever been explained satisfactorily what went on with Tomalin but he is still around. I take the 5th at that point.

Just checked an e-mail from Aug 2023 and it's strange that Butterfield said that when the EEAS CEO told me that:

"I believe that AEPG may have had discussions with the current speedway operators as well as the local authority regarding the possibility of relocating to another site, but I am not sure whether this has been progressed."

One assumes that he got that wrong

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Youhave2minutes said:

That’s entirely my way of thinking, thanks for that.The council are going to be dilly dallying about, and the speedway won’t be back for several years if that. Let’s move on as you’ve said above.

It really does need the council to enforce the implementation of the Local Plan though

23 minutes ago, IainB said:

It really does need the council to enforce the implementation of the Local Plan though

Definitely. If they go with the smaller plan as I see it the speedway could stay. It’s just the greed of the developers trying to cram more housing in, resulting in traffic congestion which would cause chaos. Serves the developer right, trying to be too greedy now ended up with egg on their face