British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Flappy

2 minutes ago, Shhalewhhale said:

That's the old dog track which is planned to be redeveloped in to industrial units.

Thanks. Do we know who owes it? If it’s the council it’s a potential plan B. If it’s private it might be the same people developing the showground.

30 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

I would think the implication is that Mr Tomalin could build a new track on his 25 acre site

Although I'm not suggesting it, it would be cheaper to pay AEPG the unreasonable fortune that they would take for a new lease for the use of an existing speedway track that's in perfect working order and can be used for several more years. Possibly 3 at least to 2026 when the revised and updated local plan is expected to be agreed.

Must say that I wasn't hopeful but when I read " It is thought that if the entire development is approved, construction will take a decade to complete" that really put some wind in the sails. Bratters on the radio quoting other local projects where nothing happened for years was also very telling.

I thought that Swingers golf range packed up for developers to build houses on but that was about 2008 and it's still a grass car park of sorts.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deano said:

Thanks. Do we know who owes it? If it’s the council it’s a potential plan B. If it’s private it might be the same people developing the showground.

ISTR it's now owned by Mick George who is big locally in things like skip hire and waste disposal. Definitely not the council. If you're not local to the area you won't know, but people are forever saying "what about moving the Speedway to the dog track" but it's a non-starter as its very close to a lot of housing now. And it's already planned to be redeveloped obviously!

1 minute ago, Shhalewhhale said:

If you Google Purple Rock Logistics it brings up a map with that site near the west end of RAF Wittering and Collyweston, just off the A47.

Oh I see, ta. Wish I hadn't asked now :D

Just now, Deano said:

The unviable really needs to be shot down. How many sports clubs are profitable? Just about every sports club gets a benefactor’s money thrown at them. That doesn’t mean they should be built on.

Yup, that will be part of their argument. They really haven't thought it through or consulted anyone with that intelligence and understanding. It's a community facility for the city of Peterborough and such facilities and operations rarely make a profit and need additional funding. The EoES could be a multi function entertainment complex incorporating Peterborough Speedway (and Bratters gave some examples of how in his first radio appearance) and used all year round for the benefit of the whole city. Somehow a 10 year concrete vision at the expense of one of the city's major Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community facilities won the day, funny old word innit!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Deano said:

The unviable really needs to be shot down. How many sports clubs are profitable? Just about every sports club gets a benefactor’s money thrown at them. That doesn’t mean they should be built on.

Manchester City Football Club is not viable!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Manchester City Football Club is not viable!

I think you will find that they are...

"Bob and Elsie"s Chippy" in Gorton has just given them half a billion quid a season to have their advert put in the programme...;):D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deano said:

Supposedly unviable yet apparently we had Tomalin, then Ged/Neil and now an unknown consortium interested in taking it on.  With no track and seemingly no future, what are they interested in and what do they know we don't?

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/other-sport/peterborough-panthers-meeting-off-as-team-boss-backs-artem-to-roar-into-action-when-racing-resumes-4272959

Interesting article, sounds like Artem was shopped around by his manager for a UK club once he left Kings Lynn. Do we think he’s just here for a bit more pocket money on top of his Ekstraliga wages or wanting to achieve something over here on like his country man and everyone’s now second favourite rider Emil?

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Supposedly unviable yet apparently we had Tomalin, then Ged/Neil and now an unknown consortium interested in taking it on.  With no track and seemingly no future, what are they interested in and what do they know we don't?

Peterborough Speedway has a future but it has to continue running next season preferably at the showground or elsewhere. 

If it stops it won't return 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/other-sport/peterborough-panthers-meeting-off-as-team-boss-backs-artem-to-roar-into-action-when-racing-resumes-4272959

Interesting article, sounds like Artem was shopped around by his manager for a UK club once he left Kings Lynn. Do we think he’s just here for a bit more pocket money on top of his Ekstraliga wages or wanting to achieve something over here on like his country man and everyone’s now second favourite rider Emil?

Certainly seems strange that the article states he was actually sacked by Lynn but then joins Peterborough a club who is owned by the same person, 

In normal circumstances both Laguta and Chapman wouldn't of entertained agreeing to another contract for both parties if he was sacked

IMO they came to a mutual agreement to part ways , Lambert made perfect sence at Lynn to possibly boost attendance figures.

Laguta just needs to show up against Sheffield and be the rider he can be , which hopefully he will do.

5 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Certainly seems strange that the article states he was actually sacked by Lynn but then joins Peterborough a club who is owned by the same person, 

In normal circumstances both Laguta and Chapman wouldn't of entertained agreeing to another contract for both parties if he was sacked

IMO they came to a mutual agreement to part ways , Lambert made perfect sence at Lynn to possibly boost attendance figures.

Laguta just needs to show up against Sheffield and be the rider he can be , which hopefully he will do.

The only part of that article I think is fairytales is the sacking part.

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

I think you will find that they are...

"Bob and Elsie"s Chippy" in Gorton has just given them half a billion quid a season to have their advert put in the programme...;):D

Didn’t The UAE pump shed loads of cash in via  Etihad or something. 

13 hours ago, Flappy said:

Peterborough Speedway has a future but it has to continue running next season preferably at the showground or elsewhere. 

If it stops it won't return 

It has to be the EoES for the few more years that Buster said was possible in Sept 2022. That will both save the track and stand, stabilise the club and give new owners time to plan for a future elsewhere, if need be that is should PCC capitulate and agree to the pointless 10 year concrete jungle which benefits nobody. I think that it's the EoES or the end irrespective at this moment in time. The whole process is just following the regular pattern with such developments. The difference here compared to most tracks that disappear is that we have the ammunition to make it very difficult and our opposition public as we have some clever people who can hold AEPG and PCC to account. That's what they don't want. Their PR on the radio & press has been pretty poor and the last thing that they want is strong public opposition or close examination of their rationale. I was told by someone who knows (no names no pack drill) that these things go through on the nod, until I pointed out some of the contentious issues and that changed the tone pretty quickly.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

And the big sell continues https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/factfile-east-of-england-showground-redevelopment-plans-explained-4275569

Should be helpful with registering your objection on the PCC website planning portal.

Edited by Crump99