British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Flappy

31 minutes ago, Technik said:

I'm in no way attempting to defend Mr Holder's actions on the night in question.

However I will say that it is very easy to stand on the outside & say "It's OK to ride on" but if your the one that is about to ride on it & you feel it is unsafe & you do not wish to take the chance on any possible injury, Who then is to blame.

If the rider goes out & comes back unharmed it's easy to say with pride "See I said it was OK" but when it goes wrong & something bad happens where is Mr "It's OK"?

Holder made his statement that night Buster didn't like it but why would he step in the way of a move to the Panthers after many years

Perhaps because the failure in that scenario was actually Mr Chapman's, he knows it, and doesn't want Chris Holder back as an employee, who he failed to manage?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I would say Batchelor has a reputation for not trying too hard in slightly damp conditions but not seen Noddy do it before, it wasn't anywhere near the conditions when he had his crash at Coventry, the track at Kings Lynn that night didn't look too bad at all.

However we are not riders!! Easy to cast judgement from the terraces. Maybe next time a rider is concerned Dave Jones can test it out and tell them if it is okay or not.:t:

9 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Perhaps because the failure in that scenario was actually Mr Chapman's, he knows it, and doesn't want Chris Holder back as an employee, who he failed to manage?

You are getting closer.I think it's fair to say Chapman doesn't want Holder back on his payroll but not for the reasons you suggest.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

However we are not riders!! Easy to cast judgement from the terraces. Maybe next time a rider is concerned Dave Jones can test it out and tell them if it is okay or not.:t:

Nothing to do with judging from the terraces , I have never stated whether the tracks were suitable or not.It's all about principles, but of course having been tutored about speedway by Mr Ford you wouldn't understand anything about those.

Edited by Dave Jones
grammar

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

He was the most talented/ best rider on show that night.. Ex World Champ. All the Poole team rode it. Be honest, he was sitting on the wrong side of the pits, and spat his dummy out when he got the chance. He didn't want to be there, and would of rode the same track that night if he was in the Poole team.

What he should of done is show Poole they were wrong to dump him over his average and do the best he could to repay Buster's faith in him and giving him a job. 

image.jpeg.a6e469f44e381bd5dcf78ec1ddaa4554.jpeg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

He was the most talented/ best rider on show that night.. Ex World Champ. All the Poole team rode it. Be honest, he was sitting on the wrong side of the pits, and spat his dummy out when he got the chance. He didn't want to be there, and would of rode the same track that night if he was in the Poole team.

What he should of done is show Poole they were wrong to dump him over his average and do the best he could to repay Buster's faith in him and giving him a job. 

image.jpeg.a6e469f44e381bd5dcf78ec1ddaa4554.jpeg

If I recall events correctly - no guarantee of that, I concede - was D.Allitt, someone with possibly limited previous experience, put into the team manager job after Rob Lyon, the previous and highly experienced incumbent, had stood down from that role? I think that may have been the case.

I think that Mr Lyon continued to be a Co-Promoter at King's Lynn until he resigned late in July 2017 (shortly following the "walkouts" of C.Holder and Batchelor), citing as his reasons his inability to give the position sufficient time, something which had been the case for several weeks, and possibly months.

I must admit to having no definite knowledge of Mr Allitt's credentials (at that time) and I hope he has recovered from his illness. However, I'm guessing his previous experience, certainly of managing international-level riders such as C.Holder, was limited.

In which case, during that season he would have expected to have been given support and supervision by his highly-experienced promoters, Messrs Lyon and Chapman. From his "resignation statement" of 26 July, it appears that Mr Lyon's ability to do that had probably been restricted. How much "hands-on" support had K.Chapman been giving to D. Allitt? I bet the answer to that is "not a lot"! (I seem to recall C.Holder, after being sacked, saying he rarely saw or spoke with K. Chapman). 

D.Allitt probably wasn't previously a professional speedway rider, was quite new to the job at that level, and maybe didn't get the assistance he would have needed - did that apply on the evening in question, or did Messrs Lyon and Chapman intervene in a timely fashion? Middleditch saw what was kicking off and acted accordingly, smart guy!

Taking a guess, I'd say that Dale Allitt was probably hung out to dry and had no chance of persuading Holder and Batchelor to change their minds. But I wasn't there in the pits.....

The Holder/ Batchelor incident at KL, contrasts strongly with Holders actions a few seasons previously at Belle Vue when the Poole team one of which was Holder lined up at the tapes willing to ride  when the meeting was on the brink of being called off  due to track conditions  which did not suit Poole..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aries said:

Well Holder isn’t in so time to move on. So who IS the number 1? A few seem convinced Nicki Pedersen is that man, but Mick Bratley disagrees. Surely Mick would know better than anyone?

I was sure it was Nicki P but Mick Bratley would 1 Million percent know for sure who the No.1 is so I'm not going to doubt him at all.

Artem Laguta to Peterborough rumours are starting to gather some pace on a couple of Speedway related facebook pages over the last 24 hours.

I must admit that it's a coincidence how Ipswich & Peterborough's team building has suffered delay after delay and now both clubs are on the verge of confirming a 1-7 in the same timeframe.

Edited by TTT
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 89buttons said:

If you’re an honourable businessman then a verbal contract should be all that’s ever needed, too many people in the world operate with bad faith

Agree, but we live in a world where morality has gone out of the window. Just look at how Kate Forbes is being harassed by the media for her religious beliefs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TTT said:

I was sure it was Nicki P but Mick Bratley would 1 Million percent know for sure who the No.1 is so I'm not going to doubt him at all.

Artem Laguta to Peterborough rumours are starting to gather some pace on a couple of Speedway related facebook pages over the last 24 hours.

I must admit that it's a coincidence how Ipswich & Peterborough's team building has suffered delay after delay and now both clubs are on the verge of confirming a 1-7 in the same timeframe.

Don’t tease me like that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It  bemuses me  why some think Pedersen is the answer to our problems!!  A great rider  in his day , but past his best and totally untried since serious and potentially career threatening injury

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

We are not riders but this is a forum for opinions so Dave Jones and myself are giving our opinion. As I was there I feel entitled to my opinion.

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I thought it was Rob Lyon and he jacked it in at the end of that season? Allitt was there as a co promoter. 

4 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I was just going from the match report Baggy. I stand corrected if it was wrong. I did think Lyon when the question was asked so went to the archive :t: And the Stars were dealt a further blow when team manager Dale Allitt was taken to hospital after falling ill during the interval.

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Also possible that I could be wrong :D but in my head the main reason he packed it in was that night. 

Can't say I blame him in all honesty.

Allit was TM, Lyon was promoter at the time. 

Lyon relinquished his role with immediate effect after that meeting I believe. 

Allitt then had to take on the TM & Promoter role after his recovery, in the mean time we had guest managers if my memory serves me correctly 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, foreverblue said:

We are not riders but this is a forum for opinions so Dave Jones and myself are giving our opinion. As I was there I feel entitled to my opinion.

We are all allowed opinions, but if a rider doesn't think a track is safe then you have to go with that. If the majority of other riders thought it was okay then imo there must have been something else going on behind the scenes for him and Batch not want to ride. 

• Like 1