British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Flappy

Buster will now unfortunately be remembered by most Peterborough fans as the promoter who appears to of let the club die , not as one of the promoter's that achieved the ultimate prize of a league winning team at Peterborough. 

He could of been far more understanding and respectfull towards the fans at Peterborough some of which that have followed the club for the full 53 continuous years of the clubs existance when making his announcement over the tannoy, but being understanding and respectfull at times is not a known strength of Buster,   that many will agree on, he deserves some criticism for the way he came across with the announcement, but ultimately even if he had been more up for the fight the club would of still been trackless for 2024

From the beginning of the 2023 season I for one wanted to see Michael Tomalin as the owner of the Panthers purely as he would of been more up for the fight to keep the Panthers on track and had Peterborough Panthers at heart,  it didnt happen for whatever reason(s) most it seems will never know, but you cannot blame him for not buying or pulling out of something that ultimately it seems was not going to be running after the 2023 season .

The club now cannot expect to be viable as a stand alone sporting facility in the stadium but hopefully the consortium will have ideas and plans in the locker to increase the stadiums use and revenue past just a speedway team IF a return was to be forthcoming , but theres a big fight to be overcome  first before any thoughts of a homecoming that could be years down the line,  Buster will i have no doubt sell the licence to the consortium IF the Panthers return to race on a track somewhere in the future .

As for houses around a noisey sporting facility its possible for both to exist you only have to look at football grounds including the Tottenham Hotspur Stadum and even the NSS in Manchester has houses in close proximity. 

It also now very clear that Buster can just let the Stock Cars run more meetings at the AFA without the speedway team and any hassle to him,  so unfortunately its very possible the team at Lynn may stop running unless another new promotion runs the speedway there, which has to be a real worry for the Lynn fans now and with not a house in sight of the AFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Noise never been a problem at Poole as far as I know and its in a residential area. On the other hand Ipswich used to have complaints I believe and its nowhere near housing, may be different now as havent been there recently.

I think at Ipswich they actually related to the hot rods/stock cars as they go on for hours on Saturday or Sunday once a month but people refer to it as the speedway stadium. 

On 7/3/2024 at 8:49 PM, Daniel Smith said:

So you think people buying a 300k+ home will be happy to have a Speedway track on their doorstep. Now, come on.

Be realistic 

Houses have been built around the track perimeter and certainly within earshot of the speedway for decades including a lot of properties costing well over £500,000.

Whether many people buying property there are happy with the speedway is debatable but nevertheless they still move within the vicinity of the track so clearly it doesn’t have that much of a deterrent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Houses have been built around the track perimeter and certainly within earshot of the speedway for decades including a lot of properties costing well over £500,000.

Whether many people buying property there are happy with the speedway is debatable but nevertheless they still move within the vicinity of the track so clearly it doesn’t have that much of a deterrent.

A whole new estate was built on old greyhound stadium at belle vue 500yds from NSS and houses are right behind back straight also a housing estate opposite grandstand :o

15 hours ago, NorwichTownFan said:

Sorry about the screenshot, as I cannot find away to upload the link. 

Today's peterborough Telegraph says local Councillor and the greens holding a meeting on 17th July. 

Perhaps somebody could upload a link to the story. 

Screenshot_20240704_194439_Google.jpg

Public meeting to be held over Peterborough Showground redevelopment plans (peterboroughtoday.co.uk)

On 7/4/2024 at 11:23 AM, scoobydoo said:

He could of been far more understanding and respectful towards the fans at Peterborough some of which that have followed the club for the full 53 continuous years of the clubs existence when making his announcement over the tannoy, but being understanding and respectful at times is not a known strength of Buster,   that many will agree on, he deserves some criticism for the way he came across with the announcement, but ultimately even if he had been more up for the fight the club would of still been trackless for 2024

I left the stadium after Chapman's shocking public address and didn't return again.

Chapman said in his end of season 2022 announcement that he could see a few more years at the EoES so why would the club have been trackless for 2024? Something changed with his and AEPG's position and he seemingly played along and rolled over and had his tummy tickled, making no effort on the face of it to save the club. He even gave AEPG their end of season PR coup. Anyone who supported that really needs to have a word with themselves!

Edited by Crump99

I hear you all, We all feel the same way.

Buster's Army of Apologist Ninja's (Not all KL fans) want us Panthers fans to suck it up, Take it on the chin and pretend like nothing ever happened.

But that's not going to happen because good people out there are trying to fight this all the way to the very end and fans on here will always have a voice too.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:53 PM, Mick Bratley said:

3500+ local residents who don’t want 12 years of upheaval.

Let's hope that 5% of those turn up at Orton Wistow Primary School hall on Wednesday July 17 at 6pm? I suspect that this is just a Greens/AEPG trap to say that there isn't significant opposition to the development.

On 7/7/2024 at 10:44 PM, Crump99 said:

Let's hope that 5% of those turn up at Orton Wistow Primary School hall on Wednesday July 17 at 6pm? I suspect that this is just a Greens/AEPG trap to say that there isn't significant opposition to the development.

There is no Greens/AEPG alliance as far as I know. Kirsty Knight (Independent ex Greens) does seem to be in AEPGs pocket though.

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

There is no Greens/AEPG alliance as far as I know. Kirsty Knight (Independent ex Greens) does seem to be in AEPGs pocket though.

Mick, is the new governments announcement on housing and changes to planning likely to have an effect. Is the showground classed as Brownfield, Greyfield or Greenfield do you know ? I appreciate its a bit early in their term of office to have definitive answers but they do seem quite keen to steam roller things through on lots of fronts.

3 hours ago, rusky said:

Mick, is the new governments announcement on housing and changes to planning likely to have an effect. Is the showground classed as Brownfield, Greyfield or Greenfield do you know ? I appreciate its a bit early in their term of office to have definitive answers but they do seem quite keen to steam roller things through on lots of fronts.

The information we have is that with the ongoing house building in Peterborough and especially Haddon where circa 10k houses are being built puts the city well over the government’s current quota and whatever is likely to be introduced. As for what colour field the Showground is, I don’t know, probably a bit of each. It’s important to note though that it’s absolutely not just the Speedway club objecting to the development, there’s a myriad of other organisations and of course very many local residents, who would be affected for 12 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

The information we have is that with the ongoing house building in Peterborough and especially Haddon where circa 10k houses are being built puts the city well over the government’s current quota and whatever is likely to be introduced. As for what colour field the Showground is, I don’t know, probably a bit of each. It’s important to note though that it’s absolutely not just the Speedway club objecting to the development, there’s a myriad of other organisations and of course very many local residents, who would be affected for 12 years.

Thanks for your reply Mick. My first thought when the government announced their plans was how would it affect the showground. Hopefully common sense will prevail, and speedway is running in Peterborough soon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rusky said:

Comments for Planning Application 23/00412/OUT: from a trustee of the East of England Agricultural Society Ltd:

"The showground is not, as some would try to imply, "open countryside". It is a brownfield site" :neutral:

Edited by Crump99

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Comments for Planning Application 23/00412/OUT: from a trustee of the East of England Agricultural Society Ltd:

"The showground is not, as some would try to imply, "open countryside". It is a brownfield site" :neutral:

Would you have expected them to say anything other than that! The main problem with developing the Showground with 1500 houses is that the road infrastructure isn’t there to support it, the Showground has two entry and exit points, one of which I’m pretty certain they don’t own the land and are currently leasing it. The Showground is surrounded by houses, offices, factories and the A1. 3000+ additional cars will cause carnage to the Ortons and Alwalton. That’s before we discuss doctors, dentists and schools who are all currently over subscribed and under pressure.

The Showground should have been developed 15/20 years ago when Southgate and Northgate was built, they’ve missed the development boat, they just don’t realise it yet.

10 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Would you have expected them to say anything other than that! The main problem with developing the Showground with 1500 houses is that the road infrastructure isn’t there to support it, the Showground has two entry and exit points, one of which I’m pretty certain they don’t own the land and are currently leasing it. The Showground is surrounded by houses, offices, factories and the A1. 3000+ additional cars will cause carnage to the Ortons and Alwalton. That’s before we discuss doctors, dentists and schools who are all currently over subscribed and under pressure.

The Showground should have been developed 15/20 years ago when Southgate and Northgate was built, they’ve missed the development boat, they just don’t realise it yet.

I only posted the brownfield bit which was the question and is both true and potentially, but not definitely, problematic. He's just one of Butterfield's 100,000 who, in this case, seems more concerned about the BACS transfer. I left out of the rest of the post.

Otherwise, fine words we know but I hope we have the evidence because it's no good making a point without the receipts, as Dan Bongino would say! You can read the stuff on the planning portal to see that there that there is evidence to refute (I'm not saying that it's correct or accurate) those claims. The question is will PCC buy it and what influence will Labour's Pakes & the strange boy wonder from NW Cambs have on proceedings. if any?

On 5/31/2024 at 6:16 PM, OldNutter said:

Wherever you touch the Showground web, mid-2021 crops up as when almost everything was started to make it happen.

In July 2021 the EEAS appointed AEPG as promoters of the site for this redevelopment, and transferred East of England Showground Services Limited (SGS Ltd) to AEPG. (source: Showground Viability Assessment Report).

Edited by Crump99