British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Flappy

The consortium fighting to save Peterborough Panthers Speedway Club has challenged development agents AEPG to prove their claims made in a Peterborough Bondholder's network meeting that their plans to redevelop the site is supported by 50,000 / 100,000 people. In the same meeting, he branded speedway fans fighting for their club a “selfish, small cohort.”

The 2022 title-winning speedway club and their race track have been removed from the East of England showground- their home since 1970- to make way for a multi-million pound 1,500 homes and leisure-village complex; consisting of two separate planning application of 650 and 850 homes.

Over 2000 objections to the plans to create a new leisure village on the East of England Showground have been submitted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

The consortium fighting to save Peterborough Panthers Speedway Club has challenged development agents AEPG to prove their claims made in a Peterborough Bondholder's network meeting that their plans to redevelop the site is supported by 50,000 / 100,000 people. In the same meeting, he branded speedway fans fighting for their club a “selfish, small cohort.”

The 2022 title-winning speedway club and their race track have been removed from the East of England showground- their home since 1970- to make way for a multi-million pound 1,500 homes and leisure-village complex; consisting of two separate planning application of 650 and 850 homes.

Over 2000 objections to the plans to create a new leisure village on the East of England Showground have been submitted.

He's got a nerve to call us selfish.

Edited by TTT

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

2022 ,   Nice to see Ben Jones did his research on Peterborough Panthers !!!!

Oh yes, I missed that myself :D

I was more irritated that he could only come up with one success for one of the city's most successful sporting teams. It did appear in the environment section rather that sport or business so we can give him a bit of slack I guess?

2 hours ago, TTT said:

He was just in a safe environment where he could spout ignorant cobblers with nobody to call him out (a fellow money grabber at the end said "that's what people do" ie object and fight for their sport in this case). Those are the type of meetings and consultations that he likes to attend.

3 hours ago, TTT said:

They do have a point though.

1000 spectators, once a fortnight, over a 7 month period, on a 164 acre site could be seen a selfish.

Which other former site business is also in this fight to survive??

You'll never win standing alone.

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

1000 spectators, once a fortnight, over a 7 month period, on a 164 acre site could be seen a selfish.

I believe other events also took place at the show ground (Truckfest was one I think) and so it was not solely income from Speedway and if the rent was deemed fair and gave the return that the landlord wanted then I am not sure that speedway should be singled and being called selfish particularly when you also have so many objections to the plans. Seems he might paint himself into a corner if he carries on as is. The sport could have continued this year given the state of the planning application and he has under estimated the local feeling towards the proposal but clearly has an axe to grind and lashes out without thinking. It might well be his undoing (hopefully)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I believe other events also took place at the show ground (Truckfest was one I think) and so it was not solely income from Speedway and if the rent was deemed fair and gave the return that the landlord wanted then I am not sure that speedway should be singled and being called selfish particularly when you also have so many objections to the plans. Seems he might paint himself into a corner if he carries on as is. The sport could have continued this year given the state of the planning application and he has under estimated the local feeling towards the proposal but clearly has an axe to grind and lashes out without thinking. It might well be his undoing (hopefully)

You've missed the point. Apart from Speedway, who else is in the fight against AEPG??

You can have a 100 million protest signatures from Speedway fans but it has zero effect with councils eventually. 

Speedway alone will not keep the sport at Peterborough alive. The other businesses have to be involved and the immediate local communities affected by the new build. 

AEPG legally cannot be forced to find new land and/or be ordered to dip their hands in their pockets and help pay for it.

Everyone can be as angry as they like of course, but there's absolutely no way of winning this one. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

You've missed the point. Apart from Speedway, who else is in the fight against AEPG??

You can have a 100 million protest signatures from Speedway fans but it has zero effect with councils eventually. 

Speedway alone will not keep the sport at Peterborough alive. The other businesses have to be involved and the immediate local communities affected by the new build. 

AEPG legally cannot be forced to find new land and/or be ordered to dip their hands in their pockets and help pay for it.

Everyone can be as angry as they like of course, but there's absolutely no way of winning this one. 

It is your opinion that missed the point, I merely made an observation. 

12 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

It is your opinion that missed the point, I merely made an observation. 

Did it, which bit??

Can't remember seeing the Truckfest organisers part of the campaign 

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Did it, which bit??

Can't remember seeing the Truckfest organisers part of the campaign 

Truckfest have plenty of other venues they can attend, they would have little to gain...

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

As much as I don't want to admit it.......I can understand where you're coming from tbh.

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The speedway club didn't need all 164 acres to continue. No reason (apart from greed) the owners couldn't have built houses, while keeping the speedway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

The speedway club didn't need all 164 acres to continue. No reason (apart from greed) the owners couldn't have built houses, while keeping the speedway.

So you think people buying a 300k+ home will be happy to have a Speedway track on their doorstep. Now, come on.

Be realistic 

24 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

So you think people buying a 300k+ home will be happy to have a Speedway track on their doorstep. Now, come on.

Be realistic 

The houses was sold when Dunblane and the Orion’s was build .The speedway track was there then and when the shows was on traffic used to go in that entrance.

The residents had no problem then.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TTT said:

As much as I don't want to admit it.......I can understand where you're coming from tbh.

Of course it all sounds logical but that doesn't mean that you have to give up and accept it. It's a weak one sided argument from Butterfield who's obviously feeling the heat as friends and family plead for the planning process to be speeded up and the EEAS whine that they need the money. If AEPG can't navigate their way out of their local plan and NPPF responsibilities then they are going to have to find new land (on or off site) and dip their hands in their pockets to pay for it. Or as the BSPA say, it shouldn't even get that far? The Save Peterborough Speedway consortium may stand alone but it doesn't take much to hang this planning process up. AEPG know that and the last thing that they need is more delay and timetable slippage!

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Be realistic 

It happens at other tracks, far more houses around Armadale than there used to be. Once explained that's it'll be noisy for a couple of hours once a week in the summer, they can either take it or leave it. Wouldn't it be great if there was a village of only speedway fans moving in?

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Be realistic 

I would and so would tousands of people. How much disruption does it cause? Imagine living next to a busy road, or around a major airport, or near a football stadium or rugby stadium or a school etc. Etc. I

That would not be an issue. 

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I would and so would tousands of people. How much disruption does it cause? Imagine living next to a busy road, or around a major airport, or near a football stadium or rugby stadium or a school etc. Etc. I

That would not be an issue. 

Noise never been a problem at Poole as far as I know and its in a residential area. On the other hand Ipswich used to have complaints I believe and its nowhere near housing, may be different now as havent been there recently.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Noise never been a problem at Poole as far as I know and its in a residential area. On the other hand Ipswich used to have complaints I believe and its nowhere near housing, may be different now as havent been there recently.

The only time noise has been an issue at Poole is whenever there is something on during the midweek daytime eg practice laps or on P&P day when its agreed with the neighbouring school that there will be no track noise before 3pm. Relationships with the school are excellent, to the point that overflow matchday car parking is utilised on the school grounds!

• Like 1