British Speedway Forum

Period of mourning. No sport activities.

Sports should be stopped in a period of mourning its out of respect for the Queen that this is happening, we all know that in Scotland the Queen dying to a certain teams supporters would be a chance to sing hatred about our beloved monarch QE the 2nd, I have heard stories about in the rep of ireland they were cheering when the announcement of the death of the Queen came about, it sickens me that in today's society people still spout hatred, our Queen dedicated all but 26 years of her life to the role she was destined to have, to me it's a great loss not only to the UK but the whole commonwealth and the whole world to lose the greatest monarch to have ever lived, no doubt the anti royals and hatred speaking idiots will take great pleasure in taking the day off work for the queen's funeral, talk about two faced, if you hate the royal family and are happy to spread hatred then tell your bosses that you will work on the day of the funeral.Sport is secondary in this time of mourning. 

Edited by Gerbat1875
  • Like 3

Actually she wasn’t destined to become Queen. Edward VIII abdicated the throne in 1936 to his brother George VI, which put Elizabeth a directly in line after her fathers death in 1952.

When Edward Vlll abdicated the throne, 6 year old Princess Margaret asked her older sister if that meant she would eventually become Queen. When told she would, Margaret told Elizabeth, “Poor You!”

3 hours ago, FishersGate said:

That's your opinion if she 'deserves more' . In mine she deserves a nice send off and that's it . Let people celebrate her legacy by enjoy British speedway . Bet she would appreciate that more than everyone supposedly mourning

You are pretty clueless about this whole thing, aren’t you? Suggest you educate yourself on who Queen Elizabeth 2nd was, and why it’s wall to wall coverage and will continue to be. She was not a celebrity. Your dismissal of her with a minutes silence and let’s get on with life shows just how little you know or understand.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

All sports cancelled for day 1 of mourning (Friday) then Sports needing a high police presence are cancelled for the weekend with all other sports to resuming from Saturday.

I never knew Speedway was such a high risk sport to Police.

They will be complaining when we are racing play offs in the final week of October

I've never seen any Polis at either Edinburgh, or Glasgow or Berwick.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You are pretty clueless about this whole thing, aren’t you? Suggest you educate yourself on who Queen Elizabeth 2nd was, and why it’s wall to wall coverage and will continue to be. She was not a celebrity. Your dismissal of her with a minutes silence and let’s get on with life shows just how little you know or understand.

Oh dear somebody isn't enjoying someone else's freedom of speech I see 

Point 1- I never said she was a celebrity

Point 2 - I don't need to understand anything about the queen. It's not the law and I'm not a royalist.

Point 3 - I'm not going to educate myself on who the queen was. I think I know enough about her already. That's a choice. I've made my choice. 

5 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Oh dear somebody isn't enjoying someone else's freedom of speech I see 

Point 1- I never said she was a celebrity

Point 2 - I don't need to understand anything about the queen. It's not the law and I'm not a royalist.

Point 3 - I'm not going to educate myself on who the queen was. I think I know enough about her already. That's a choice. I've made my choice. 

Such a shame that its not the same choice of the many millions of others around the globe.

31 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Educate yourself, bud....  She was  Elizabeth I in Scotland, not the 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Must be a lot of clueless people out there then, who "know or understand little". All those working today, going out with friends tonight for a night out, going to gyms, those running in the GNR this weekend (jealous I'm not running this year, great atmosphere there), all the comedy shows still going ahead, concerts on over the weekend, even the Royal Opera, rugby league and union matches. Loads more besides probably. All these events will have a minute's silence and people "getting on with life". 

The way it should be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derrickn said:

My mind could be playing tricks on me,but I can't help thinking I went to a meeting somewhere over the Christmas period. It would have been late 60s or 70ts,probably in Yorkshire.Of course,it could be senility setting in.

Tim Stone of Newport tried several attempts to put a speedway meeting on for a few years during the Xmas period. I think some had to be cancelled because of snow. That would be late 90's and early 00's.

32 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Educate yourself, bud....  She was  Elizabeth I in Scotland, not the 2nd.

Think you will find the legal challenge to have her Elizabeth 1 of Scotland was unsuccessful in 1953.! she was Elizabeth 2 Queen of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Tim Stone of Newport tried several attempts to put a speedway meeting on for a few years during the Xmas period. I think some had to be cancelled because of snow. That would be late 90's and early 00's.

Definitely Newport. I think we had a meeting every year from 1999-2008 under Tim, and then 2010-12  in the Mallett reign. Frostbite was pretty much guaranteed every year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Derrickn said:

My mind could be playing tricks on me,but I can't help thinking I went to a meeting somewhere over the Christmas period. It would have been late 60s or 70ts,probably in Yorkshire.Of course,it could be senility setting in.

There was a meeting on Boxing Day 1985 - Ellesmere Port Past & Present v Inter League Select Tuesday 26th December 1985 (Joe Owen Benefit Meeting).  Track was brick hard with some  puddles iced over. 

Football at all levels is pretty much off this weekend. Rugby is pretty much all on. The third test match between England and South Africa resumes on Saturday, the Abingdon Airshow on Saturday has been postponed, yet the Duxford Airshow on Saturday and Sunday goes ahead as planned.

So basically, there's a 50-50 split between what's going on and what isn't. If you look at football forums, they are lamenting the postponement decision. I tend to agree, By carrying on, and by pulling people together, it allows shows of love and appreciation, as well as last respects and condolence. I can imagine there will be many a rugby ground having a minute or two of silence and then following that with a great rendition of the new national anthem.

Queen Eliabeth II has passed; the Monarchy lives on. God Save the King.

• Like 3