British Speedway Forum

Swedish GP Malilla Saturday September 17th

44 minutes ago, MattB said:

Mauger, Rickardsson, Fundin and Nielsen in the current era would have absolutely cleaned up

You could include riders like Dave Jessup, who was a world beater but was let down by his own tuning in the big occasions, he would of thrived in a GP series, also tommy Knudsen 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TTT said:

Got to bring back the Russian's next year.

Zmarzlik doesn't have a single challenger. Madsen leads the chasing back but he can only ride throttle jockey places so he'll never be a World Champion.

I'd say Lambert and Bewley are arguably the most likely. Top six this year and (I think) the youngest riders in the series (other than holder)?

Just now, waiheke1 said:

I'd say Lambert and Bewley are arguably the most likely. Top six this year and (I think) the youngest riders in the series (other than holder)?

Don't think Bewley will make top 6 this season, but think Lambert will be up there challenging for second next season, not quite ready to challenge for first, maybe 2024 season

Hope i am wrong on both counts

6 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Don't think Bewley will make top 6 this season, but think Lambert will be up there challenging for second next season, not quite ready to challenge for first, maybe 2024 season

Hope i am wrong on both counts

You could well be right. For sure  they are both some way off Zmarzlik right now. But looking at the field, they are the ones I see with the highest potential to challenge him in the years ahead- next season may be too soon though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Well obviously I Do.

Which years from 76 onwards do you think he would have won a gp series?

76 was surely pc (Mauger on the podium)

77 pc or olsen (mauger third)

78 olsen (mauger 2nd)

79 Lee?  Mauger maybe top three?

80Jessup

Be genuinely interested to know which of those seasons you would see Ivan winning. 

26 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Which years from 76 onwards do you think he would have won a gp series?

76 was surely pc (Mauger on the podium)

77 pc or olsen (mauger third)

78 olsen (mauger 2nd)

79 Lee?  Mauger maybe top three?

80Jessup

Be genuinely interested to know which of those seasons you would see Ivan winning. 

It’s all hypothetical,it’s just an opinion.Mauger was just so consistent.He still was averaging  over 10pts in 1979

Edited by Fromafar

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It’s all hypothetical,it’s just an opinion.Mauger was just so consistent.He still was averaging  over 10pts in 1979

Agreed, it's all opinions. I'm just interested. There's been a fair amount of debate on this on the forum, and I think the general consensus is he would hsve won 7 titles under a gp system, all between 68-75, with Olsen winning one in that period ( with one school of thought thinking Michanek may have won in 73, which would reduce Ivan back to six).

Nielsen I think would hsve been the big beneficiary of a gp system, he could easily have doubled his world title tally...

12 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Agreed, it's all opinions. I'm just interested. There's been a fair amount of debate on this on the forum, and I think the general consensus is he would hsve won 7 titles under a gp system, all between 68-75, with Olsen winning one in that period ( with one school of thought thinking Michanek may have won in 73, which would reduce Ivan back to six).

Nielsen I think would hsve been the big beneficiary of a gp system, he could easily have doubled his world title tally...

In the 12 seasons between 1968-1979 he average over 11pts on 7,over 10pts on 4 and 1 season 9.77.He was so Professional and consistent Is why I think the GP system would have been right up his street.Agree the Nielsen was in the same boat and would won more Titles in the GP system

Edited by Fromafar

37 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

80 would surely have been Jessup  with Lee and Penhall on the podium.

Penhall's time would come the next season...

Remember, he'd already won the Master of Speedway in 1979, and in 1980, he scored a maximum in the WTC Final (defeating both Lee and Jessup), and was R/U (to Les Collins) in the BLRC, and R/U (to Mort) in the Inter-Continental Final. Plus, in the England-USA Test Series, he outscored them both again. It might have been a lot closer than you think!

• Like 1

Seems to be quite a few negative comments about the Swedish GP. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but after attending the GP  earlier this week its fair to say we all enjoyed a great weekend in a fabulous country. Thought the Stadium and track  were great and we all enjoyed the meeting.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience . Would we go again?  Absolutely 100% we would.

• Like 2