British Speedway Forum

Swindon Stadium

2 hours ago, tyretrax said:

I think you're confusing Shawfield Stadium, a.k.a. Shawfield Regeneration, with the area of Shawfield.

I was replying to a comment someone made referring to the fact that one of the house styles on the Swindon Stadium housing development was named The Owlerton.              
I merely stated that there were others named after former stadia that once hosted speedway ie Monmore,Crayford,and Shawfield that’s all.

5 hours ago, Toady said:

I was replying to a comment someone made referring to the fact that one of the house styles on the Swindon Stadium housing development was named The Owlerton.              
I merely stated that there were others named after former stadia that once hosted speedway ie Monmore,Crayford,and Shawfield that’s all.

The area known as Shawfield was there before the stadium which it took it's name from.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Toady said:

I don't think there is a chance in hell that Taylor Wimpy have built houses on a site that they shouldn't have yet. They must develop 100's of these sites a year. I suspect the BS is coming from Tomlinson and his cronies who knew all along that the planning permission wasn't reliant on a fully completed stadium despite what they said from day dot. They are now being challenged on it and are blaming others. Let's hope the rat is voted out this year. 

26 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I don't think there is a chance in hell that Taylor Wimpy have built houses on a site that they shouldn't have yet. They must develop 100's of these sites a year. I suspect the BS is coming from Tomlinson and his cronies who knew all along that the planning permission wasn't reliant on a fully completed stadium despite what they said from day dot. They are now being challenged on it and are blaming others. Let's hope the rat is voted out this year. 

Correct, The council planning dept knew full well what they agreed at the time and so to did Osborne all he had to do was pay off the speedway which of course he did (to provide a United front) and avoid any save Swindon speedway supporter groups with his motorsport’s project.

Edited by Toady

Would it give the stadium more protection if it was awarded an Asset of Community Value (ACV)? I know it would provide protection if the stadium was sold, but can an ACV stop it being demolished or left standing empty and not used? If this is a way of protecting it it needs a (local?) group such as a speedway fans/parish council/ other groups etc. to organise a campaign to save the stadium. Fans of Reading FC have got an ACV  on their stadium to stop their reckless owner selling it for non-football use. so a precedent has been set, but of course the Reading Borough Council was very willing and quick to award the ACV,. Would the Swindon Council be as willing, though?

5 hours ago, Toady said:

In other words ..carry on..the biggest laugh of course is  they bulid a stand ( if you can call it that )in a Staduium that only stages Greyhound Meetings that Osbourne in his own  Words admits no one watches anymore...some of this stuff you cant make up.

2 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Does make you think, when the application was approved, it wasn't very water tight. Osborne isn't a spring chicken these days, one day he will get tired, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Edited by Deano

Why haven't the BSPL taken the licence off Russell yet? Any serious association would have had the licence off him as soon as he joined Osbourne in making that statement about speedway not being viable at the Abbey & joining Swindon Mototorsport.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, orion said:

In other words ..carry on..the biggest laugh of course is  they bulid a stand ( if you can call it that )in a Staduium

And you call myself an idiot:unsure:You inbred uneducated Cock!!!!:blink:

The new Swindon Greenhouse was temporarily blown of situ over the weekend, the new Greenhouse which is made of Canvas, Scaffold Poles and Metal Storage Containers was supposed to be used as pits for the none existent Speedway at Blunsdon Stadium, this shows what a joke Osborne & Co actually are..

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/24069889.storm-isha-damage-caused-swindons-abbey-stadium/?fbclid=IwAR1qR5oD1vQViutlr7l8O_74_Wtdm-stCjnyUYp0vK

Absolute joke. Osborne again is showing his colours. From a Poole point of view all these red flags during the Swindon Build and the 'return' of speedway to the site. This is a good track record and would be used against him if he tried to force housing on the Poole stadium site through BCP. 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

Makes my blood boil when I hear these politicians constantly saying they're going to "look" at things... code for I acknowledge your concern but absolutely nothing will be done about it! :angry:

On 1/8/2024 at 11:38 AM, Toady said:

How about the Monmore,Crayford, and Shawfield as well.

In Taylor Wimpey's country wide list of house names they also have the "Byford" . They wouldn't would they?

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:27 PM, Chris said:

Why haven't the BSPL taken the licence off Russell yet? Any serious association would have had the licence off him as soon as he joined Osbourne in making that statement about speedway not being viable at the Abbey & joining Swindon Mototorsport.

This! One hundred times, this!

• Like 1