British Speedway Forum

Attendances

Vicar

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Well there is definitely two more there than the original Monday night staging as getting there on a Sunday is so much easier than getting there after work on a Monday...

And I only live six miles away so hopefully many more can travel from further afield too and "make a day of it"...

Another four coming down from the North on the 18th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

They used to in the "Star" many years ago for, I believe, one season and stopped doing it for reasons one can only conjecture?

Perhaps who knows!! - I do remember attending a football match once many years ago - it was on sky live on a friday night - at the match they announced the attendance at 5,000 and something - the following day in the paper it said 4620!!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

48 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Perhaps who knows!! - I do remember attending a football match once many years ago - it was on sky live on a friday night - at the match they announced the attendance at 5,000 and something - the following day in the paper it said 4620!!

That would have been at the Etihad .:D

5 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Always a tricky thing but I would guess that at Ipswich if its either Kings Lynn or Peterborough the attendance could be about 2,000 or so - certainly better attended this year than for some time. At Sheffield where I also attend on occasions i would say maybe less but its tricky due to the bars / Grandstand but the two matches i have attended were V Wolves and also Belle Vue maybe 1,500+

I do wish they would publish them but they never really have.

The reason will be for one of 2 things. 

1. They don't want people to realise how poorly speedway is supported nowadays. 

2. They don't want people to work out the real income and outgoings of running a speedway club. 

Hence the reason nobody ever knows what riders earn etc. If everything was more transparent then you could pinpoint how to make speedway viable instead of mullering through year after year. That way we might be able to go forward... 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Having done 2 trips to Oxford they must be the best supported club in Britain. Packed both times  a real successful return.

At the moment .... they done really well to be honest but the real test is in the years to come once the novelty  wears off .. We seen what happened to Worky and Newport after a great start after coming back 

2 minutes ago, orion said:

At the moment .... they done really well to be honest but the real test is in the years to come once the novelty  wears off .. We seen what happened to Worky and Newport after a great start after coming back 

True, particularly if they are going to have mysterious "lack of medical cover" postponements

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arnieg said:

True, particularly if they are going to have mysterious "lack of medical cover" postponements

Oxford has been one of the success stories this season and, by golly, speedway needs a few of those! Not sure what the "lack of medical cover" was all about however let us wallow in something positive when there is so much negativity within the sport...only wish that I could make a meeting at Cowley. Both my brothers have attended (on seperate occasions) and had nothing but praise.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Oxford has been one of the success stories this season and, by golly, speedway needs a few of those! Not sure what the "lack of medical cover" was all about however let us wallow in something positive when there is so much negativity within the sport...only wish that I could make a meeting at Cowley. Both my brothers have attended (on seperate occasions) and had nothing but praise.

A friendly atmosphere as well, Swindon and Oxford fans mingling and chatting. Wouldn't happen at Football!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, auntie doris said:

A friendly atmosphere as well, Swindon and Oxford fans mingling and chatting. Wouldn't happen at Football!

...just need to get some Reading fans there and the picture would be complete. Great rivalry and nothing beat good local derbies of which there were many producing many great moments to cherish.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...just need to get some Reading fans there and the picture would be complete. Great rivalry and nothing beat good local derbies of which there were many producing many great moments to cherish.

Although I havent been I know of plenty of Reading fans who been regulars this season

• Like 2

Having spent 30 plus years attending meetings at Cowley and my Dad having gone to the very first meeting back in 1949 (although they did run meetings prior to the war) it pleases me that Oxford has again risen from the depths and I wish those all involved all the very best and congratulations on what is probably the best story to come out of speedway this year.

• Like 3

On 9/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, thecoombdog said:

Standby for the Poole fans to tell you otherwise!!!!

Definitely been more fans at Oxford meetings than Poole meetings this year, but as orion said, will be interesting to see how it goes over the next few seasons. Although Oxford was always a well-supported club, and it wasn't a lack of fans that caused the closure in 2007 (you can thank the GRA and Galliard Homes for that).

15 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I've seen a few retro Reading Racers coats on the terraces!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, baiden said:

Definitely been more fans at Oxford meetings than Poole meetings this year, but as orion said, will be interesting to see how it goes over the next few seasons. Although Oxford was always a well-supported club, and it wasn't a lack of fans that caused the closure in 2007 (you can thank the GRA and Galliard Homes for that).

...and the promotion at the time. I personally felt the last few seasons at Cowley were rather lack lustre although Nigel Wagstaff tried his best following the Purchase's withdrawal.

I was in correspondence with someone (GRA) who held office at Cowley Stadium when I put it to them that they were allowing the stadium to deteriorate on purpose but of course they denied such a thing!

Edited by steve roberts