British Speedway Forum

Energy

I'm surprised nobody has started this thread already. Maybe we're all trying to ignore it, but unfortunately with Fridays price cap announcement it's all got very real. 

After British Speedway seems to have ridden out Covid remarkably well the next existential threat is looming and that is the crazy energy prices.

Fortunately the sport closes down over the winter but I suspect the problem is still going to be there next spring. 

What is Speedway's answer going to be? What should it be? Should clubs be looking to run Saturday & Sunday afternoon to save using the floodlights? Will the stadiums that clubs ride in still be able to run?

They are all questions for the clubs, for the punter though, how much are you willing to pay to watch your Speedway when money is going to be so tight?

• Like 1

In years gone by I'd have been up at Belle Vue today and Monmore tonight but after a week in the lakes I can't justify a trip to Manchester and with Wolves on TV tonight il be staying home. Don't like it but there you go, reality kicking in. Wife just said when you retiring and I said never mind me retiring you might be going back to work 

4 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm surprised nobody has started this thread already. Maybe we're all trying to ignore it, but unfortunately with Fridays price cap announcement it's all got very real. 

After British Speedway seems to have ridden out Covid remarkably well the next existential threat is looming and that is the crazy energy prices.

Fortunately the sport closes down over the winter but I suspect the problem is still going to be there next spring. 

What is Speedway's answer going to be? What should it be? Should clubs be looking to run Saturday & Sunday afternoon to save using the floodlights? Will the stadiums that clubs ride in still be able to run?

They are all questions for the clubs, for the punter though, how much are you willing to pay to watch your Speedway when money is going to be so tight?

Sadly this is much much worse than speedway, it could be as bad as starving or freezing to death 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Sadly this is much much worse than speedway, it could be as bad as starving or freezing to death 

That's probably for the general discussion section... I put it in here specifically for the Speedway angle.

If admission prices track inflation we're looking at £20-£25 next season I would guess. 

12 hours ago, iainb said:

I was at Anfield Saturday and the floodlights on top of the stands were blazing all afternoon in brilliant sunshine. Money to burn obviously.

Edited by AFCB Wildcat
  • Like 1