British Speedway Forum

Stuart Bamforth

Kryten

55 minutes ago, norbold said:

Empire Stadium, Odsal?

White City , London must be considered an iconic stadium, surely ? Even though it wasn’t used for speedway many years

Just a thought. Though it wasn’t a stadium I particularly liked 

Edited by iris123

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

White City , London must be considered an iconic stadium, surely ? Even though it wasn’t used for speedway many years

Just a thought. Though it wasn’t a stadium I particularly liked 

Why did you not like White City,London?

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I'm talking venues where speedway was the main sport and had decades long histories of hosting league racing. Not sure Wembley or Bradford had that.

Wembley hosted league racing in 5 decades (1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's and 70's), Odsal in 6 decades (40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Wembley hosted league racing in 5 decades (1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's and 70's), Odsal in 6 decades (40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's).

I stand corrected (maybe).

The point I'm making (admittedly clumsily) is that Hyde Road (1929-1987), Brandon (1929-2018) and Plough Lane (1929-91) are venues that were primarily renowned for speedway racing first and foremost over a long unbroken period. Wembley and Odsal, impressive as they were, are more closely associated with football and rugby league. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, falcace said:

I stand corrected (maybe).

The point I'm making (admittedly clumsily) is that Hyde Road (1929-1987), Brandon (1929-2018) and Plough Lane (1929-91) are venues that were primarily renowned for speedway racing first and foremost over a long unbroken period. Wembley and Odsal, impressive as they were, are more closely associated with football and rugby league. 

I take your point there.  There was no league speedway at Brandon after 1933 until 1948 though, so the unbroken run started after the war.

16 hours ago, DazS said:

watched Glasgow v belle vue at Hamden park back in the 70s, was a bit weird.

To be honest - and risking the wrath of a few folk - I always found watching league racing at Odsal a bit of an unsatisfactory experience. The place was just too big. To borrow a Jasper Carrott gag, I said to the bloke next to me "OI!" 

Much preferred The Shay. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

In his long-awaited book that will be published later this month, Peter Collins reveals how Stuart Bamforth offered him the chance to take over the running of the Aces a year before the world famous Manchester venue closed in 1987.

PC also explains how he literally helped shape the club’s next two tracks, at Kirkmanshulme Lane and the National Speedway Stadium.

To order a signed copy at the discounted price of £20 (UK), please go to www.retro-speedway.com

• Like 2