British Speedway Forum

2023 BLSC

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/miscellaneous/new-ladies-championship-planned/?fbclid=IwAR07FIfTmeiMXo_9f0qQUgMU837-z2hoiQRWdlrU0XTGsLm7HmdWpM7bRpI

Nobody got anything to say about this... can you even call Ladies, Ladies these days?

Edited by iainb

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes leave it to the IOW 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the BSPL have approached the beeb about televising the series... it should be right up aunties alley!

Are there 16 "ladies" competing in Speedway?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I wonder if the BSPL have approached the beeb about televising the series... it should be right up aunties alley!

Are there 16 "ladies" competing in Speedway?

There is certainly a few big girls who come out when the track is less than perfect 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

Why wouldn't you be able to call ladies, ladies?????

Have a search around Google on whether it's acceptable to refer to a Woman as a lady and make your own mind up. For me it does seem a rather old fashioned term, something I associate with Tennis... the Ladies Singles Final etc.

21 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

Why would it be up the BBC's alley? what's your point?

The beeb do like a minority sport (except for Speedway it would seem), but even more than a minority sport they like Women's sport, they have in the recent past shown Women's Football, Cricket & Rugby, despite the crowd levels being on a par with "established" sports like Speedway (and others)

13 hours ago, HGould said:

My immediate thought was "isn't Barry Bishop doing this already and with far more passion and sincerity than the BSPL could ever muster"

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery? .......poor form once again from the mafia, at least make reference to the work started by IOW rather than trying to pass off as thier own idea. Embarrassing once again by those in charge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Yes but you know the bspl will screw it up somehow, one female rider will be unavailable and they will get bomber in drag to guest in place of her 

"Christine" Harris - 2023 Champion....

Looking like Lesley from ITV's Benidorm..... :D

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, iainb said:

Nobody got anything to say about this... can you even call Ladies, Ladies these days?

Probably not ... I was once criticised on another speedway forum for calling a girl a girl. This is the Century of the Fruitbat, you know!

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Has anybody seen these "ladies" race at all? What's the standard like? How many are there?

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Has anybody seen these "ladies" race at all? What's the standard like? How many are there?

Katie Gordon has been riding in the NJL at Redcar for the last two seasons is very competent and improving , possibly the only female riding on a regular basis. Rachael Holliwell didn’t compete at the IOW and only appears on track now and again but was of a similar standard a while back. The rest of the field are an unknown quantity as their names rarely appear at anywhere other than the IOW it seems, perhaps at Iwade ?

There’s certainly not enough to make a stand alone meeting of them hence the idea of fielding them in amongst the BYC meetings.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Katie Gordon has been riding in the NJL at Redcar for the last two seasons is very competent and improving , possibly the only female riding on a regular basis. Rachael Holliwell didn’t compete at the IOW and only appears on track now and again but was of a similar standard a while back. The rest of the field are an unknown quantity as their names rarely appear at anywhere other than the IOW it seems, perhaps at Iwade ?

There’s certainly not enough to make a stand alone meeting of them hence the idea of fielding them in amongst the BYC meetings.

Charlotte Brooks is the only other one from the Ladies Championship I know. 

She is based in the South West & rides 2nd half at Plymouth as often as she can. Am sure this is her first full season but she is keen to get as much track time as possible and really improve her riding.

• Like 1