British Speedway Forum

Tuesday 23rd August - Plymouth v Glasgow

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Meeting called off just after 7pm due to unfit track!! Riders unhappy with soft patches going into turn 1.

Don't they have an issue there with tidal flooding from the river that is right next to the track. 

Certainly shouldn't be rain related. 

Might be a freak tide? 

Sounds like rider power. At least no one can blame Cookie. 

Edited by HGould
  • Like 1

It's funny because the BSN crew spent about half an hour telling us how good it was going to be!

It's madness... you have 1 club calling a meeting off over 24 hours before it was due to start based on an incorrect forecast and another who let all the fans in and call it off without a race being run! All in the space of 48 hours

Edited by iainb
  • Like 7

All meetings should be called either on or off by 10am on the day of the meeting, and if it's called on and the meeting doesn't go ahead there should be fines handed out, it should be a rule, us fans are getting properly messed about, travelling the length of the country in these expensive times just for this to happen... No wonder the crowd numbers are dwindling... No one can afford to take the risk when the fans are a constant afterthought

And I'm not specifically getting at Plymouth here, they're my second favourite team (or favourite now my beloved Diamonds are gone) but this is not the first time and no means be the last time this will happen. I remember travelling all the way down to Eastbourne a few years back just for the meeting to be called 10 minutes before the doors were meant to be opened, despite the awful forecast that hadn't changed all day, luckily I was down that way with the family anyway, but I can imagine anyone who travelled that far just for the meeting are still seething now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

All meetings should be called either on or off by 10am on the day of the meeting, and if it's called on and the meeting doesn't go ahead there should be fines handed out, it should be a rule, us fans are getting properly messed about, travelling the length of the country in these expensive times just for this to happen... No wonder the crowd numbers are dwindling... No one can afford to take the risk when the fans are a constant afterthought

And I'm not specifically getting at Plymouth here, they're my second favourite team (or favourite now my beloved Diamonds are gone) but this is not the first time and no means be the last time this will happen. I remember travelling all the way down to Eastbourne a few years back just for the meeting to be called 10 minutes before the doors were meant to be opened, despite the awful forecast that hadn't changed all day, luckily I was down that way with the family anyway, but I can imagine anyone who travelled that far just for the meeting are still seething now.

So what about situations like last Wednesday when 5 hours of heavy thundery showers were forecast. The showers all missed Cowley and the heavy band that caused major flooding in King's Cross and several other places in the South East dissipated by the time it reached Oxfordshire.

Would you have Oxford call off their meeting at 10 a.m. for fear of a fine? That would have deprived us of an entertaining meeting, resulted in extra restaging costs for the home promotion and caused considerable annoyance to the visiting Monarchs fans.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I get that regarding calling it based on a weather forecast, KL's postponement this week (along with others historically) calling it the day before was ridiculous for the sport. As for last night, BSN interviewed the ref on his track walk and he said the track was ok, the riders were even doing the coin toss in front of the cameras 5 minutes before it was called for goodness sake for it to then be called off was also ridiculous for the sport.

There was obviously concerns over the track as it was all the BSN crew were going on about prior to the scheduled start time... despite continually going on about how good it was all going to be. Riders, management and officials should be at the track at least 90 minutes before the start time and a decision made whether to run or not long before fans are allowed into the stadium. If a match can't then be started then the home team should forfeit the points.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

I get that regarding calling it based on a weather forecast, KL's postponement this week (along with others historically) calling it the day before was ridiculous for the sport. As for last night, BSN interviewed the ref on his track walk and he said the track was ok, the riders were even doing the coin toss in front of the cameras 5 minutes before it was called for goodness sake for it to then be called off was also ridiculous for the sport.

There was obviously concerns over the track as it was all the BSN crew were going on about prior to the scheduled start time... despite continually going on about how good it was all going to be. Riders, management and officials should be at the track at least 90 minutes before the start time and a decision made whether to run or not long before fans are allowed into the stadium. If a match can't then be started then the home team should forfeit the points.

So Brennan and Nichol as an example or you could say Morris and Thompsons, or Masters and Castagna (you get my drift) turn up at Leicester and say, "tracks rubbish dont want to ride it" refuse to ride, get backed by a weak referee and what are you left with. NOTHING I'd suggest....

BSN are culpible in setting and making expectation too, and theres no bigger group of keyboard warriors than those who sit at home watching live streams.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HGould said:

So Brennan and Nichol as an example or you could say Morris and Thompsons, or Masters and Castagna (you get my drift) turn up at Leicester and say, "tracks rubbish dont want to ride it" refuse to ride, get backed by a weak referee and what are you left with. NOTHING I'd suggest....

BSN are culpible in setting and making expectation too, and theres no bigger group of keyboard warriors than those who sit at home watching live streams.

I don't think it's unacceptable for the ref, 2 team managers and 2 team captains to make a decision on whether a track is fit for racing 90 minutes before start time in a (so called) professional sport.

And by keyboard warriors you mean people who have paid to watch a speedway meeting, the word you're looking for is customers. Also i dare say there will be a few "keyboards warriors" who were actually at the meeting. 

Ultimately it's the ref that calls the meeting off, how he could have gotten this one so wrong really should be raising questions about his suitability to be a referee. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't think it's unacceptable for the ref, 2 team managers and 2 team captains to make a decision on whether a track is fit for racing 90 minutes before start time in a (so called) professional sport.

And by keyboard warriors you mean people who have paid to watch a speedway meeting, the word you're looking for is customers. Also i dare say there will be a few "keyboards warriors" who were actually at the meeting. 

Ultimately it's the ref that calls the meeting off, how he could have gotten this one so wrong really should be raising questions about his suitability to be a referee. 

Maybe he was told by higher up what to do f he contacted them.

Someone may have vested interest in Plymouth not winning that Meeting after all!:o :drink:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HGould said:

Maybe he was told by higher up what to do f he contacted them.

Someone may have vested interest in Plymouth not winning that Meeting after all!:o :drink:

sounds like this particular keyboard warrior is getting into tin foil hat territory there :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

When a situation like this happens(late call off and not weather related) the HOME Promotion should be fined and the away Team awarded the points.Riders know the meeting will be rerun if they don’t ride so aren’t bothered about the fans,it might be a different attitude if it cost them a pay day.I’ll bet to man that everyone of them who have ridden at the Cardiff GP if called up.Rider power is ruining the sport under aHealth and Safety guise.

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

When a situation like this happens(late call off and not weather related) the HOME Promotion should be fined and the away Team awarded the points.Riders know the meeting will be rerun if they don’t ride so aren’t bothered about the fans,it might be a different attitude if it cost them a pay day.I’ll bet to man that everyone of them who have ridden at the Cardiff GP if called up.Rider power is ruining the sport under aHealth and Safety guise.

So in this case the away team led the protests, according to eyewitnesses, yet get awarded the points. 

How is that fair.? 

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

So in this case the away team led the protests, according to eyewitnesses, yet get awarded the points. 

How is that fair.? 

It doesn’t matter who led the protest the track should not be an issue under normal circumstances.Obviously the Ref had to make the decision.

• Like 2