British Speedway Forum

Tuesday 23rd August - Plymouth v Glasgow

2 hours ago, iainb said:

And put some cones around the dodgy bit :D

they wanted to do that at a NL meeting we were at but riders said it wouldn’t work so they tried to fix the exact same spot as last night and ended up ripping up the complete corner knackering the meeting and we all went home  

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

So then they would be going into a dangerous bend 3 at speed?

Not a good idea

it would not matter where the gate was 3rd 4th bend is ridden differently it’s the entry into the first bend where every rider heads for it’s was like spongy clay about a meter and a half in diameter and there wasn’t really any way you could avoid it going into the corner it’s alway been there lots of tracks have the same problem  but some use other materials it’s the same bit that gets the most use where the bike really turn hard to try keep it on the inside line some  use clay to stop it rutting braking up its usually no problem when it’s dry or just a bit soft on top  but too much rain and it won’t dry properly hence why they set fire to it to try dry it out leicester had the same problem but they filled it in with concrete but might be changed now the smaller tighter track are the worst because the bikes need to turn really hard i think plymouth tried there hardest to get it on and hoped it would dry out but never did as the promotor said it’s speedway damed if you do damed if you don’t 

Edited by mac101
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

So what do you suggest gets done because it cant just be nothing… attitudes like yours are what helps drive Speedway into the ground! Why would any of the fans there last night return? Surely thats of far more value than Plymouth being properly punished  

Right, you’ve clearly missed the point of my reply. At no point did I suggest that there is no punishment for the Gladiators but I was suggesting that the idea of banning them or fining them, when last night was already a big enough issue financially for Mark and the club. Don’t be fooled into thinking that last night didn’t hurt the club financially anyway. The queue for people collecting refunds was extensive on top of paying riders, officials, track staff, medical costs. 

As for you criticising my attitude. I’m really sorry you feel that way. Speaking as someone who fell out of love with the sport but in the last two years I’ve got my excitement and buzz back, I’m really disappointed that someone would criticise my belief that speedway needs to pull together and support itself rather than cause division and alienate people. Wouldn’t banning Plymouth, fining them further financially etc help drive speedway into the ground rather than what I suggest about speedway sticking together?

• Like 2

I may be mistaken but I believe all this started last week when the Redcar meeting was called off the evening before because of a real threat of heavy rain during Tuesday match day. We were shown footage at the track on the afternoon that was a proper deluge although where I live, just 8 miles away, there was very little rain until later in the evening. We here in Plymouth live in the shadows of Dartmoor. We have always experienced very localised weather, particularly regards rain.

During the Monday night before the meeting, I believe another downpour at the vicinity of the track had a bad effect?  I suspect with the nearing of the end of the season, and the Play-offs approaching, Mark and the management saw a good drying day that we had yesterday, all day, that conditions would improve, the track would dry out and racing could occur?. Even with everyone, I mean everyone, carrying out the Track Inspections, nothing  was found detrimental. That's Riders, Track Officials, Managers and the Referee, all happy up to the time of the Coin Toss, Tapes Up and Centerfield Staff all in place. Then Marks announcement telling us all it's off! 

I'm sorry, but we've yet to learn how to control the weather, as much as we would like to?   

• Thanks 2

Club director Peter Facenna said: “While we were looking forward to a fiery encounter at the Coliseum last night, sadly any hopes of the meeting sparking into life and getting the tapes fired-up were extinguished, as the meeting was called off due to unrideable track conditions, which was despite the best efforts of the brigade of track staff.

“We will bring news of the restaging date when known and look forward to igniting our rivalry with the Gladiators in due course.

“Meanwhile, we’d like to wish Tom Brennan the best of luck in Riders’ Championship at Poole tonight. He has a burning desire to do well in the competition.”

https://glasgowtigers.co.uk/hopes-of-completing-league-fixtures-go-up-in-smoke-at-plymouth/

Look at Glasgow with all the fire puns!!

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, alfiemorris said:

We might yet have the Last Laugh Lisa-Colette? Glasgow don't have the right to be smug about their track either!

I know, FIM approved, GP challenge. Nothing to be proud of there 

There's also no smugness there, just Peter or whoever wrote it trying to have a laugh. 

Edited by Jaizer

55 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I wouldn't know about the Glasgow track, only seen the odd race from there a handful of times!

The widened and banked track that the Faceenas and Steve Lawson and others have created is the best in the UK and undoubtedly one of the best anywhere. 

I'd say personally that Redcar is the next best in UK then Belle Vue. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HGould said:

The widened and banked track that the Faceenas and Steve Lawson and others have created is the best in the UK and undoubtedly one of the best anywhere. 

I'd say personally that Redcar is the next best in UK then Belle Vue. 

agree belle vue  redcar and glasgow are great racing tracks and not much home advantage all riders love riding tracks like this 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

agree belle vue  redcar and glasgow are great racing tracks and not much home advantage all riders love riding tracks like this 

You say that, but how often do Belle Vue and Glasgow lose at home? When you look at how most teams do when they come to Glasgow, we do get a decent home advantage. Yes, anyone can race it with the right setup, but the Glasgow riders generally have that setup, with the added advantage of gating being very much optional at times.

Really looking forward to seeing how Northside turns out, and also the new Edinburgh stadium - hopefully that all goes through smoothly. The plans certainly make it look a more appealing racing track than Armadale.

Have to say, Berwick provided some fantastic National League racing at the double header I was at earlier in the season too. Championship less so, but the nice thing about the double header is twice the chances of getting something good.

15 hours ago, arnieg said:

So what about situations like last Wednesday when 5 hours of heavy thundery showers were forecast. The showers all missed Cowley and the heavy band that caused major flooding in King's Cross and several other places in the South East dissipated by the time it reached Oxfordshire.

Would you have Oxford call off their meeting at 10 a.m. for fear of a fine? That would have deprived us of an entertaining meeting, resulted in extra restaging costs for the home promotion and caused considerable annoyance to the visiting Monarchs fans.

I'd rather the occasional occurrence of that than fans being dragged from one end of the country to the other just to watch a meeting get cancelled that should've been cancelled at 10am... What situation would be worse to find yourself in, miss a meeting and the sun to come out but at least you've not wasted a tank of fuel in the car, or waste said tank of fuel in the car, arrive at the track and find the meeting cancelled 10 minutes before the tapes were due to go up...

Maybe a fine is too harsh, maybe each club gets 3 strikes THEN a fine or something, they need to find ways to keep fans happy, and dragging them out the house, spending pointless money then sending them home isn't going to do that one bit...