British Speedway Forum

Championship League Riders' Championship at Poole

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I hope they do for the sake of British Speedway. But we are falling further and further behind those on the continent and for all the great effort put in by Neil Vatcher, the difference between our young riders and their Polish and European counterparts is vast. The top ten Polish u21 riders would knock our equivalent into a cocked hat.

Brennan has a team berth in the Polish third tier, which helps him but he needs to be riding in the second tier to really meet riders a step above him. The chances of a team berth are slim unless he does something special to catch the eye. Polish talent spotters will be more likely to use local talent which is cheaper and more than likely score more points. 

I expected Brennan to win a race last night, or at least come a close second in a couple of heats. He was nit really any better than Flint who scored the full minimum. Brennan has ridden Poole well in the past in league meetings. Perhaps I am being on the harsh side but I expected more of him. Flint had a blinding meeting at Poole earlier this season with big double figures. Last night he was invisible.

Any U-21 rider can ride at reserve in the 3rd tier in Poland, so it makes sense to race at that level as Brennan should get plenty matches - move up a level & he may not get a ride.

Lawson clearly didn’t touch him. The slow mo proves it. I spoke to Lawson the following week about it. He said the throttle goes both ways and Toft had the choice to throttle off. Lawson said he played the same move on Harris the week before in heat 15. Harris throttled off, cut back under him and took the win on the line. Toft could have averted the crash but freaked out. 

Similar moves are played out every week in the Polish league and this would have ended with Palm Toft being excluded for stopping the race. I am not saying it’s not a hard move by Lawson, it clearly is, but there was no contact. If people don’t understand this, we’ll, take up tiddlywinks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Any U-21 rider can ride at reserve in the 3rd tier in Poland, so it makes sense to race at that level as Brennan should get plenty matches - move up a level & he may not get a ride.

But the third tier of Poland is no stronger than U.K. leagues. Needs Polish League One. Guess he is putting himself in a shop window with a come and get me. Providing he is smashing in double figure scores.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Lawson clearly didn’t touch him. The slow mo proves it. I spoke to Lawson the following week about it. He said the throttle goes both ways and Toft had the choice to throttle off. Lawson said he played the same move on Harris the week before in heat 15. Harris throttled off, cut back under him and took the win on the line. Toft could have averted the crash but freaked out. 

Similar moves are played out every week in the Polish league and this would have ended with Palm Toft being excluded for stopping the race. I am not saying it’s not a hard move by Lawson, it clearly is, but there was no contact. If people don’t understand this, we’ll, take up tiddlywinks.

I spoke to a rider in the same race and he said it was a reckless move and dangerous, if he came off the throttle he would of straightened up and gone through the fence. Anyone who knows anything about speedway would agree. Why try to defend the indefensible? I know you like a wind up but that could of been alot more serious!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I said it was a hard move, no doubt, but I see the same move played out in Poland every week. It’s a man’s sport. 

Except for the Women taking part in the sport...

Do you have any video links to the same moves played out in Poland every week?

1 hour ago, marko said:

Quite right about Jason Doyle, I remember him being a fairly standard string string for years, then he came on a bundle and is where he is now.

But if you want to talk about late Bloomers, look no further than John Louis.

But Louis didn't start riding until he was 26/27  or so.

Another more recent example is Leon Madsen who only became a GP regular in 2019 age 30.

24 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But the third tier of Poland is no stronger than U.K. leagues. Needs Polish League One. Guess he is putting himself in a shop window with a come and get me. Providing he is smashing in double figure scores.

What is interesting to note is that 2 or 3 years ago I'd have questioned that and said the Championship was (a little) stronger than Polska liga 2. But looking at the averages of riders performing in both this season - Morris, Pickering, Masters, Ellis, Douglas, Brennan, Aarnio and Batchelor - that is clearly no longer the case.

41 minutes ago, lewy said:

Not going to argue steve i know ur on a wind up,

I want to see Shovvy in a match race against Katie Gordon... I'd travel down to Wimbourne Road and pay good money to watch that!

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Completely agree and let's be honest lawson is far from a dirty rider

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Lawsons right

The throttle works both ways. 

He went in dangerously hard and too fast. He knows that. Why would he say anything different to you. 

He may not be known as a dirty rider, he is very well known as someone who can be belligerent when he falls out with people. 

Ask the North West speedway community. 

There's history with him and MPT, Ostergaard, and others. 

It's had a deep impact on MPT and Plymouth for sure. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HGould said:

Lawsons right

The throttle works both ways. 

He went in dangerously hard and too fast. He knows that. Why would he say anything different to you. 

He may not be known as a dirty rider, he is very well known as someone who can be belligerent when he falls out with people. 

Ask the North West speedway community. 

There's history with him and MPT, Ostergaard, and others. 

It's had a deep impact on MPT and Plymouth for sure. 

Not sure about that. Was interviewed on stream not long after and definitely annoyed that he got excluded and said himself he didn't think he touched him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eric i said:

Lawson should have been excluded for that it was a reckless move. In fact I have seen Lawson do some extremely hard moves this year, I never had him down as a particularly hard rider but he certainly seems to channelling his inner Pedersen this year.

He was