British Speedway Forum

Championship League Riders' Championship at Poole

30 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Track was awful and not good to hold a prestige meeting on a track where you can’t race … 2 passes all night wow!! 
I can never understand why Poole fans are so blinkered … as an Ipswich fan we all know Foxhall doesn’t often produce great racing and we admit that … Poole fans just defend the track 

On to the meeting and Masters and Douglas showing they are the best two riders in the league especially as Masters has basically won it completely unfit a great effort and let’s hope Douglas is ok as Wolves fans won’t want to see that …

Lets hope that next year it gets moved to a track that can actually provide entertainment to reflect the nature of the event

Let's hope other clubs volunteer to stage it then! :t:

What a guy, smiling Sam Masters. To be riding at all with all his injuries is a miracle but to crash in the final and get up and win it is exceptional. Huge well done lad 

Hard lines on Josh as there was only one line and Danny got there first

Hope Ryan is ok and well done Danny King for getting that bike down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Track was awful and not good to hold a prestige meeting on a track where you can’t race … 2 passes all night wow!! 
I can never understand why Poole fans are so blinkered … as an Ipswich fan we all know Foxhall doesn’t often produce great racing and we admit that … Poole fans just defend the track 

On to the meeting and Masters and Douglas showing they are the best two riders in the league especially as Masters has basically won it completely unfit a great effort and let’s hope Douglas is ok as Wolves fans won’t want to see that …

Lets hope that next year it gets moved to a track that can actually provide entertainment to reflect the nature of the event

Tell me about it!

I'm so blinkered that I've been entered into the 730 at Kempton tomorrow!

:rofl:

Edited by Turnip

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

Superb from Sam. All the more praiseworthy considering the injuries he is carrying and then being able to recover from the nasty crash in the first running of the final (courtesy of a nudge by Kerr), to win the re-run.

Bit harsh on Kerr there, he couldn’t have ridden much closer to the kerb than he did in the first running of the final. Just a very tight first corner, as you’d expect in a final.

Well done to Sam, he’s a class act and well some to Lewi on another good showing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Would get more fans if it was held at the weekend ........ why do the BSPL insist on midweek for our big meetings :(

I doubt the BSPL insist on midweek meetings, more likely Belle Vue & Poole preferred to race on their normal race night!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HGould said:

That was actually my whole point. 

Track reserves should fill gaps and NOT influence the final result. 

How ironic he's shafted a team mate. 

Still don't understand why some think the track reserve should not be strong enough to beat any rider, seems almost pointless having them in that situation!

In this case King still would've been in the semi on 11 points.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Still don't understand why some think the track reserve should not be strong enough to beat any rider, seems almost pointless having them in that situation!

In this case King still would've been in the semi on 11 points.

I'm sure both Cook's would have been at the meeting anyway, so just makes sense! 

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I'm sure both Cook's would have been at the meeting anyway, so just makes sense! 

That means that it would have made sense to offer Greg Hancock and Hans Nielsen the meeting reserve slots at Cardiff ;)

I remember when this used to be a big meeting at sheffield on a sunday and it would attract 3000 fans from around all the tracks. With every rider in the field doubling up/down its just another meeting to riders, 20 years ago the riders would have given their right arm to win this meeting.

• Like 4

On 8/19/2022 at 1:08 AM, cinderfella said:

Just seen the line-up  for the CLRC:

1 Michael Palm Toft (Plymouth)
2 Leon Flint (Berwick)
3 Lewis Kerr (Redcar)
4 Ryan Douglas (Scunthorpe)
5 Nick Morris (Leicester)
6 Danny King (Poole)
7 Chris Harris (Berwick)
8 Richard Lawson (Poole)
9 Scott Nicholls (Oxford)
10 Justin Sedgmen (Birmingham)
11 Charles Wright (Redcar)
12 Sam Masters (Edinburgh)
13 Troy Batchelor (Oxford)
14 Craig Cook (Glasgow)
15 Josh Pickering (Edinburgh)
16 Kyle Howarth (Leicester)

As a Glasgow fan I can't believe we have only one rider listed.

It cant be on averages as there are several riders from various teams who have higher averages who are omitted too.

Tom Brennan, Ben Basso and Uli Oostergaard are all worthy of a place so unless they have been declared unfit you have to wonder why and with Glagow at Plymouth the previous evening there are bound to be some die-hard Tigers fans around.

Perhaps they don't want them getting more laps at Poole with the play-offs coming up?

and it looks like workington have four . that cant be right cannit ? come on , give the glasgow fans something to cheer about .  ,. put all the tigers riders in this meeting . 

Certainly a worthy and well deserved winner for all he has done in British Speedway. Worthy runner up and third placed efforts too for Danny King and Lewis Kerr.

Overall though a desperately poor track meant very little racing after the first 1/2 lap and what could have been a showcase Meeting looked more like a Fixture filler.

Brennan and Flint have been at the vanguard of the new generation and have probably exceeded expectations this season but to see them struggling for the odd point in this field does not bode well for their improvement relative to some of their age group peers on the Continent particularly from Poland; Denmark and Czech Republic. May be time for both to try to get regular Polish rides next season if they are to keep up and not get too comfortable doubling up in UK.

The step from aspiring to be a Lawson, Wright or King or aiming to be a Tai, Lambert , Bewley is MASSIVE and time waits for no one and they need to be thinking about that very carefully now especially as the U21 opportunities dry up soon. 

• Like 4

Neither are anywhere near good enough imo. The opportunity to get a place in Poland is difficult in the extreme. Brennan has been around for quite a few years now and won’t get to the level of King, Lawson or Wright. He would have broken through by now. Flint certainly won’t. Both championship riders. Brennan will get further than Flint but when you compare them to Polish riders at the same age, well they are well behind the curve.

People moaned left right and Center about Poole’s bumpy track, so they took out all the bumps, and now people moan about Poole’s perfectly smooth and fast track. Just perhaps they moan for moanings sake, as it’s Poole. The track was fine last night. There were some great races. Didn’t the Lawson/Batchelor/Wright race thrill? If not, then perhaps the sport is no longer for you? The track is there and allows riders to produce great races, if they wish to go for it. We see it often enough in league meetings here. Just perhaps, riders not in contention were not pushing it as they had nothing to gain? And Riders like Masters, Pickering, King, etc are very hard to catch if they gate? 

Pretty sure the crowd there last night enjoyed the whole meeting, even if it was too long and drawn out. Blame the ref not the club. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

Well done to Sam Masters, its weird having possibly the top rider in the top flight win the second division riders championship but that's where we are now in this country.

Every rider gave it their all apart from Batchelor who should have refused the booking and let someone else have a go instead, even Bomber despite starting slow and knowing he could not make the semi finals, still rode his socks off trying to get some points and entertain the crowd.

I thought the track was ok, dirt line a bit too close to the fence for most riders liking but plenty were prepared to put their back wheels there, at least with Poole you know they will try and get the meetings on, its a wide track with plenty of room to race.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, eric i said:

I remember when this used to be a big meeting at sheffield on a sunday and it would attract 3000 fans from around all the tracks. With every rider in the field doubling up/down its just another meeting to riders, 20 years ago the riders would have given their right arm to win this meeting.

I remember when this used to be an even bigger meeting at Coventry on a Saturday night and it would attract 7-8000 fans from around all the tracks! Also the winning rider used to get a new bike/engine... last night they got a lump of plastic

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

I remember when this used to be an even bigger meeting at Coventry on a Saturday night and it would attract 7-8000 fans from around all the tracks! Also the winning rider used to get a new bike/engine... last night they got a lump of plastic

1991 Jan Staechmann (Long Eaton) .........oh wot a night, pump it up pump it up!:party:

Charles Wright......bonkers conkers bucking bronco.....wot an adrenaline rush watching him ride at times last night. Bet his balls grew a bit after last night. Total entertainment. Just glad all ended safely.

Wot these lads do whether by intent or otherwise. Total respect. :t:

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1