British Speedway Forum

Championship Pairs, Oxford.. Friday, 12th. August

17 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Arrogance knows no bounds anyway all riders were warned NOT to slow races down.

Nothing against Poole but you can see why some do with this self entitlement viewpoint.

Strange decision to tell riders in aPairs event,,is Team riding in 2 nd / 3rd not technically slowing the race down.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Nick Morris did it in SF, so no probs with Basso doing it. 

So that makes it right to have a pop at Basso, you lot really need to get over Basso it’s not healthy.

And as I say they were warned not to slow races down so just perhaps Ben was following instruction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Strange decision to tell riders in aPairs event,,is Team riding in 2 nd / 3rd not technically slowing the race down.

Perhaps they saw it as dangerous but no problem with team riding though.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gazc said:

So that makes it right to have a pop at Basso, you lot really need to get over Basso it’s not healthy.

And as I say they were warned not to slow races down so just perhaps Ben was following instruction.

No, if anyone else done it say the same thing. Most of them were trying to team ride! Prob just warned not to slow down in a dangerous way. Nick Morris would have been excluded if you weren't allowed to do it at all. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Indeed after Lawson has nearly wiped people out pulling same trick a few times lately in PL and CL.

Basso is a massive talent and in the right place with you to optimise it. 

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

No, if anyone else done it say the same thing. Most of them were trying to team ride! Prob just warned not to slow down in a dangerous way. Nick Morris would have been excluded if you weren't allowed to do it at all. 

Down to interpretation but with the rider’s being warned not to slow races down then based on that he could and probably should have excluded Nick If he deemed that he was slowing the race.

And as we could all see he clearly was.

• Like 1

Just now, Jaizer said:

The 2nd youngest rider dominates the meeting, goes unbeaten, gets criticism. Only in British speedway

It is pretty poor I agree but it really only comes from the same people who haven’t yet got over him leaving them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Cos it's not individual. What is the point him winning if Hume at the back! Be better to settle for second and help Hume surely? 

I give up.

Danyon was catching Kerr and could possibly have passed without Ben slowing the race but Danyon locked up again and would in all likelihood lock up regardless what Ben did or didn’t do.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Cos it's not individual. What is the point him winning if Hume at the back! Be better to settle for second and help Hume surely? 

You are starting to sound like a broken record. You would think it is easy to pick your place in a speedway race in the heat of battle.Does he just wave the 2nd rider past.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

What the 2 older, wiser heads. You've no idea what they discussed before the race. Humey maybe told him just head down arse up I'll look after myself. Team riding is a dead art, saw 0 of it in SON so why folk so desperate for it last night?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think its a big ask for a young rider like Basso to try and slow a race down with his limited experience. Asking for carnage.

He has to be one of the favourites for SGP2 on Sunday.

I worry about some of these young guys at Cardiff on a temporary track hope there is not carnage.The main men can find it difficult at time.

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think its a big ask for a young rider like Basso to try and slow a race down with his limited experience. Asking for carnage.

He has to be one of the favourites for SGP2 on Sunday.

Correct. There's certain riders who aren't made for team riding. In the Parker stancl years at Glasgow you had probably the best at it in Shane and the worst in big geo. He was set up to go as fast as he possibly could at all times. Amount of carnage nearly saw with him and liked of James cockle trying to team ride. Basso of same ilk, ride hard ride fast. 

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Poole fans seem to conveniently forget they got a proven heat leader in Richard Lawson from Glasgow on a full transfer in the negotiations over Basso.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

The riders weren’t warned by the referee not to slow races down 

The referee did say as it was a pairs meeting that he expected team riding and that was ok but if riders took it to far and were dangerous or caused an accident then he would have to take a view on it 

The Glasgow team manager said that they were well informed of the position and also that the referee had warned riders about slowing races.

He appears to contradict what you have said ?.

• Like 1

A bit late in replying to the meeting but had s flat battery to sort out this morning! 

First of all well done to Redcar on their win. Final a huge anti-climax with Steve Worrals bike blowing up on the line. No point in Danny chasing down the Redcar pair as it would have made no difference. Could only see a Pirates win before that but those are the breaks in a 4,3,2 scoring system. Revenge for heat 20 would have been sweet but it was not to be. Pirates through down the gauntlet in the semis with a brilliant win over the Lions but lady luck deserted when it matters. 

But take nothing away from Redcar who were solid in the qualifiers and had 1 and 3 when they met Poole, which were best gates. Interestingly Poole took 2 and 4 in the final having done the biz in the semis.

Dont think anyone can begrudge Redcar the trophy. A good night overall. Racing not great, Oxford useless, good crowd, good company. Well done to track staff keeping dust down until the last few heats . And special mention to Basso on being a class above the opposition. Poole B nearly made the final.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1