British Speedway Forum

4 more years of Gorzow GP

44 minutes ago, eric i said:

Bringing the speedway GP to different places brings exposure to the sport in that country, long term this has to better for the sport than making a few extra quid by staging loads of rounds in Poland. 

Does it? GPs have been held in Norway, Finland, Italy, Slovenia, Germany, New Zealand and Australia over the years and I think it's highly questionable whether it's done a thing for the sport in those countries. The interest in speedway really never encompassed that many countries - maybe at it's peak around 10-15 where there was significant interest, and perhaps another 15 where speedway was ridden - but this largely seems to have contracted during the GP era.

I also doubt the series rights holders, whether Discovery or IMG/BSI before them, are much interested in what's better for the sport and far more interested in making a few extra quid - whether that's from the hosts and/or minimising the costs of putting together material for their television channels. Having a GP in the likes Teterow has little to do with bringing exposure to the sport in Germany, and everything to do with being a lower cost venue to pad out the series.

Do we even know where the supposed Australian GP is going to be held in 4 months time?  How are Australian fans supposed to plan their time off and travel...? 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Does it? GPs have been held in Norway, Finland, Italy, Slovenia, Germany, New Zealand and Australia over the years and I think it's highly questionable whether it's done a thing for the sport in those countries. The interest in speedway really never encompassed that many countries - maybe at it's peak around 10-15 where there was significant interest, and perhaps another 15 where speedway was ridden - but this largely seems to have contracted during the GP era.

Its not going to cause a speedway boom in those countries but the sport could get some press or get the attention of the locals which it would otherwise have not. The impact maybe small in terms bring up the attendances of local meetings but I think it will be much larger than having another GP in Gorzow were I bet every person in the town already know what speedway is.

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I also doubt the series rights holders, whether Discovery or IMG/BSI before them, are much interested in what's better for the sport and far more interested in making a few extra quid - whether that's from the hosts and/or minimising the costs of putting together material for their television channels. Having a GP in the likes Teterow has little to do with bringing exposure to the sport in Germany, and everything to do with being a lower cost venue to pad out the series.

I agree entirely, Discovery and IMG/BSI motive to go to Russia and Australia was largely to bring some prestige and credibility to a World championship. It would be interesting to know if Discovery are contractually obliged to visit x amount of countries or if they have to stage a gp in Australia/not in Europe. Teterow is good example of why they don't care about what's best for speedway, Germany has 21 other tracks and while some might not be suitable for a speedway GP, I am sure there at least a few that would showcase speedway better but Teterow is cheapest to stage/most profitable.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:45 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

Do we even know where the supposed Australian GP is going to be held in 4 months time?  How are Australian fans supposed to plan their time off and travel...? 

I know - nowhere. There is nothing planned for 2022. Something might happen in 2023 but the multi million dollar losses of New Zealand and Melbourne are making it difficult to find a venue. For Discovery to hold an event in Australia, they’d have to agree to pay a venue - the complete opposite of how they do business. But, if they chose to do that, then they’d have plenty of takers, happy to put on a financially risk free event

• Like 1