British Speedway Forum

Newcastle now closed !!!

Feeling a bit uncomfortable with people slagging Grant & Co, but hey, every is entitled to their opinion.  It was a poisoned chalice from the beginning taking over the club. The tax debt from previous management was the tell tale sign that things were going south for a few years previously for our beloved club.  The chances of getting someone in.....I think we all know thats slim, there was hardly a rush for it last season. I hope everyone is at peace with themselves, whether you did the trackwalk and picked up some shale, got your favourite merchandise, photo with your favourite rider.....time to treasure it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Again, grant chose to put this cheap team together..if you go back and read messaged from THJ there's numerous evidence of this. Nothing to do with the league set up!!!

100% to do with the league set up...

The team chosen were not good enough by a country mile...

Therefore "the leadership" of the sport should have not allowed it...

If that was all he could put together then it should have been NDL or nothing.. 

Letting that team race against teams with up to 3 Div 1 HL's was a ludicrous decision and clearly doomed to fail..

As a leader you have to make very tough decisions sometimes for the greater good..

Speedway desperately needs that level of leadership...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

100% to do with the league set up...

The team chosen were not good enough by a country mile...

Therefore "the leadership" of the sport should have not allowed it...

If that was all he could put together then it should have been NDL or nothing.. 

Letting that team race against teams with up to 3 Div 1 HL's was a ludicrous decision and clearly doomed to fail..

As a leader you have to make very tough decisions sometimes for the greater good..

Speedway desperately needs that level of leadership...

No, you and Etonian bleet on about the set up, too many heat leaders in one team etc etc then jump on this as evidence to your claim.

End of the day starting team was what 3/4 points below limit with a rider with an average over 8.

On this occasion a cheap team was built relatively close to the points limit so why would management committee refuse them entry? Until they got a decent track were holding their own at home which really was all that was asked for.

It's a sad day for the sport, one of its oldest, traditional clubs that's ran concurrently for my lifetime is potentially gone. It's no day for point scoring IMO

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wardey said:

Feeling a bit uncomfortable with people slagging Grant & Co, but hey, every is entitled to their opinion.  It was a poisoned chalice from the beginning taking over the club. The tax debt from previous management was the tell tale sign that things were going south for a few years previously for our beloved club.  The chances of getting someone in.....I think we all know thats slim, there was hardly a rush for it last season. I hope everyone is at peace with themselves, whether you did the trackwalk and picked up some shale, got your favourite merchandise, photo with your favourite rider.....time to treasure it.

Granty was the man in charge.Bit off more than he could chew by the looks of it.IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

No, you and Etonian bleet on about the set up, too many heat leaders in one team etc etc then jump on this as evidence to your claim.

End of the day starting team was what 3/4 points below limit with a rider with an average over 8.

On this occasion a cheap team was built relatively close to the points limit so why would management committee refuse them entry? Until they got a decent track were holding their own at home which really was all that was asked for.

It's a sad day for the sport, one of its oldest, traditional clubs that's ran concurrently for my lifetime is potentially gone. It's no day for point scoring IMO

Assessed/Reassessed averages often mean nothing but can 100% be made to look what you want them to look like..

There has to be quality control when trying to sell a product...

Controlled by those in charge of the operation...

That team were clearly "miles away"...

So much so all the "mystics" on here predicted exactly what has happened before a wheel was turned..

And that was even with them able to track a better rider at No1 most weeks than the one they recruited...

Leadership is key....

Sad to see another team go, feels like every time there is some good news about an attempt to bring a team back we get hit with a a couple of lots of bad news.

No I am not the typical speedway fan & I am asking a lot of questions about the sport, but to me its part of a rich motorsport heritage in this country and as a motorsport fan I don't want to see any part of that lost.

Feel for all the loyal fans & volunteers, the riders and don't forget the youngsters in the Sapphires.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wtf said:

Out of the frying pan in to another frying pan?

Are you putting yourself forward? :t: unfortunately those in power would much rather mastermind their own demise than do anything for the greater good :angry:

he talks more sense on here than many

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In fairness to Rob Grant, he had to deal with more critical problems in his short stewardship than most businessmen do in a lifetime.

If it wasn't for the VAT bombshell which emerged fairly early doors followed shortly by the devastation and massive uncertainty which COVID caused it might have been a completely different story.

Call me naive but he came in with a good heart, lots of ideas and the first team he put together looked full of promise but sadly never got the opportunity to ride.

Now we've got no speedway at Brough and only beneficiaries will be Berwick and Redcar (and maybe Workington in the not too distant future) for the diehards who need their weekly speedway fix.

• Like 5

The bigger problems aside from making the sport look a total shambles is the impact on other clubs Redcar for example went there, spent a fortune on rider points and will have no corresponding home fixture to help cover this deficit. Any season ticket holder who hasn't seen Newcastle visit their track will have lost out this year. 

The governing body that accepted this crock pot team into the league should also be accountable for the demise. All that has been achieved is a promotor has made back some of his initial losses and scarpered leaving everyone else to pick up the pieces. 

• Like 5